• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm a frail little girly man

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like my body is just falling apart. I was doing dips followed by chest flys in the gym today, when I felt pains in my shoulders (happens frequently). Doing squats, I feel pain in my knees. In fact, after cycling or jogging, I get bad hip pain and knee pain that limits my movement and prevents activity over the next day or two. When I stretch, I hear my bones and joints cracking. On the bench, I get the feeling that my twig like forearms and wrists are going to snap. Whenever I do a short, quick burst of activity, I find myself out of breath very easily. When I do long, sustained exercise (cycling), I'm OK, but it's the bursts from stationary to active that knock the wind out of me. If I were ever in a fight, I'd probably end up raw meat.

I try to work out, I try to be active but these small body injuries and pains that occur really limit my ability. Are my bones and joints just flawed?? Did I do something wrong to get to where I am now? Anything I can do to improve it, or should I just drift through life accepting the fact that I'm frail and I'll never be strong like bull?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try going slow like 3 sets per bodypart. Or try running first and take it from there

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I can't twist open a beer cap without hurting my hand. So before I get accused of being a softy afraid of hard work, I've done plenty of manual labour in the past - working in greenhouses, shoveling manure, building fences, digging post holes, gardening, warehouse work, and so on. None of it has helped build "core strength" or machoness, or ruggedness!!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was not accusing you of being a softy. My bro is the same way and I go the the gym with him and we do one body part per set and now he's doing quite well.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
was not accusing you of being a softy. My bro is the same way and I go the the gym with him and we do one body part per set and now he's doing quite well.

Just being preemptive before the jocks get here
wink.gif

I feel like I've been going "slow" for too long. I've been working out on a semi-regular basis now (OK, I've been breaking for exams and other important events) for over a year. I've seen very gradual improvements in my ability to lift more weight, but outside the gym (and inside sometimes) I feel as weak as I've always been.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
then you may want to hit the gym 3 times a week. No matter what time it is. That will give you some improvement.

Coulomb

Reaction score
maybe it is because of all the hard labor you have done that has made you more prone to injury or more sensitive to physical stress. all of these pains you are feeling could be indicators that previous injuries existed and were never properly rehabilitated...

capnpyro

Reaction score
I make no claims at knowing as much as some around here about fitness, but from my own experience here's what I'd do--

Visit a doctor if you can to get an official checkup. Take 4 weeks off while routinely taking ibuprofen to keep any swelling down or when there's pain or cracks along with ice, this should allow the spot that's giving you trouble to heal if it's just minor. (I had bursitis in my shoulder (an inflammed bursa sack), my doctor advised I take 4-6 weeks off with the ibuprofen reigment to heal)

Begin working out again and don't strain the areas that hurt. Also start taking protein powder to your daily gram minimum and begin on creatine and glutamine. Consider using machines more so you can control the weight better (ex. on a bench press machine youre more free to hold the weight until you feel a solid burn in your chest and make slower more controlled movements focusing on muscles until you get the power to use free weights).

Also this is very remedial but it sounds like something you might not be doing to allow muscle growth-- watch your caloric intake. It sounds like you're staying the same. You have a daily sustained amount of calories, where if you eat say 2400 a day you'll stay at your same weight.

If you have less than your sustained amount of calories per day you'll lose muscle first, or fat if you're sustaining a workout.
If you sustain your calories per day you'll stay the same.
If you have more than your sustained calories per day you'll gain fat first, or muscle if you're sustaining a workout.

That's over simplified, but I think with the combination of focusing on really burning your muscles without hurting yourself in combination with the protein and creatine and a higher (healthy) calorie intake you'll grow in size. Also remember you need to sleep to help contribute to this whole healthy body thing.

I'm awfully verbose tonight. Also, Drizzt or whoever feel free to correct.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coulomb
maybe it is because of all the hard labor you have done that has made you more prone to injury or more sensitive to physical stress. all of these pains you are feeling could be indicators that previous injuries existed and were never properly rehabilitated...

You're probably right there... I did put my back out several times, and each time I refused to see a doctor.

I've also never had a checkup... probably should put that on the list of things to do. And maybe a sports doctor as well.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Step 1. Move to a log cabin
2. Stop shaving
3. Wear Flannel
4. Chop down a mighty tree
5. Catch a Salmon
6. Wrestle a Bear

Repeat daily until rugged.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Step 1. Move to a log cabin
2. Stop shaving
3. Wear Flannel
4. Chop down a mighty tree
5. Catch a Salmon
6. Wrestle a Bear

Repeat daily until rugged.

Will it make me gay, like the new Brawny man?

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Will it make me gay, like the new Brawny man?

Step 7. Insert cock in ass. Was completely optoinal.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Step 7. Insert cock in ass. Was completely optoinal.

I'll skip that one. The rest sound good
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Or, I could try enlisting. I'll let the military make a man out of me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I'll skip that one. The rest sound good
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Or, I could try enlisting. I'll let the military make a man out of me.

In the navy? You just may end up engaging in a lot more "Step 7" than you would like.

ted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
In the navy? You just may end up engaging in a lot more "Step 7" than you would like.

Hey sailor, new in town?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads