• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I'm a 40L jacket and 36w pant. Can I buy anything off the rack?

clasher

Reaction score
I'm 6'2, not skinny, but no exaggerated V shape either.

Last time I ordered a 40L suit, it came with a skin tight 33 pant. But I'm a 36.

40L fits perfectly around my shoulders and chest. I only need the sleeve tailored shorter.

Getting a 42L tailored down to a 40L is going to be extra costly, right?

Macallan

Reaction score
Look at suit separates rather than paired jacket and trousers suit combo - this is allows you to get the best available jacket and trousers, and also helps reduce alteration costs

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most suits - not all, but most - have a 6-inch drop between jacket size and waist size. Your last suit had a 7-inch drop. Some suits do. Particularly - but not exclusively - suits in a more athletic cut.

(As something of an aside, I'm not certain someone who wears a 40L, with a 36" waist, should necessarily be looking for suits with decidedly athletic cuts. But that's neither here, nor there.)

Anyway, buy a 40L suit, with the extremely common 6" drop. That'll leave you with pants having a 34" waist.

Chances are, the pants' waist can be let out a little without too much difficulty. Probably 1"+, which might just do the trick.

This is likely to turn out much cheaper, easier, and better, than will cutting down a size 42L into a size 40L.

Of course, if you find some suit separates you like, that would, naturally, offer an easy solution to your problem. It's just that there tend to be many more suits which feature the common 6" drop, than there are suit separates from which to choose.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.