1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

I'm 14 and I love suits

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Adam Federico, Jan 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adam Federico

Adam Federico New Member

Hey guys, I'm 14 and I love suits. It's weird, I feel weird. I wish I could wear a suit every time.

When I was 11 I started wearing my father's suits, shirts and ties when I was alone at home (I still do it). I never had a real suit. I used to wear a cheap suit when I was a child, but I hated it, and it didn't fit me so well. Years later I realized that suits are awesome and my father's wardrobe was like heaven. He only had two suits and a few shirts, some old school ties and old shoes. I felt like a real man for the first time (I've been through depression and anxiety, and it helped me a lot) and since them I can't stop doing it. Every time I'm alone, I wear them. He doesn't even notice.

I think I'm the only guy at my age that likes to wear a suit. Please someone tell me I'm not alone.

2. IChen

IChen Senior Member

don't worry about it if you like it, you like it.

if you feel better in one, maybe instead of a suit all the time, even something like a nice Button down shirt + trousers and even like suede lace ups or something, you'd still look better than the others. don't feel depressed!

3. Adam Federico

Adam Federico New Member

Thank you man. I still feel overdressed with button down shirts, I avoid wearing them, but actually nobody cares about what I'm wearing. A few days ago while my dad was at work, I put on his clothes and went out. My friends didn't even pay attention to what I was wearing and my neighbour said that I was looking nice.

I'm thinking of use my money to buy suits, nice shirts, shoes and an overcoat. I will look like an old man, but I really want it. And it's better to be overdressed than underdressed

4. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

I think there's nothing wrong with the idea that dressing nice makes you feel like a man. However, a big part of being a man is making rational decisions. At 14, you're still growing. Spending a lot of money on multiple suits/shirts/shoes might not be the best course of action. Additionally, an important part of style is wearing clothing that fits properly. That doesn't mean you have to go off the style forum deep end and get everything made to measure. But it means, don't wear clothes 2 sizes too big.

So, is compromise a possibility? As suggested, you can buy some nice button down shirts/pants for a lot less than suits and you don't have to worry about the tailoring aspect.

I think it's fantastic you're considering spending your own money - but, part of being an adult is not spending all your money all at once. Whether it's clothes or video games, it's the same thing - you like clothes another teenager may want to spend all their money on video games. If you want to be more adult, the notion of a budget should come into play.

So, you should decide how much of your budget makes sense to spend on wardrobe. And, develop a plan for how to best spend that money realizing that
    A) better fitting clothes look a lot better on any person
    B) at 14 you are still growing and clothes that fit properly now are highly unlikely to fit properly in 2 years.

5. jaxenro

jaxenro Senior Member

Plus look at the goodwills in your area you can often get a decent sports coat for $5 or so which you might grow out of in 6 months. It lets you try different looks and styles for cheap as you grow

6. RJG

RJG Active Member

You're way ahead of me when I was 14.
    Welcome to the club, dude.

7. LLEE

LLEE Senior Member

This is, IMO, the best advice you'll get on the subject.
    The next 5 years of your life will be full of changes, emotionally and physically. Even if you don't believe it, you are also going to be rather impressionable, and you may be inclined to drop whatever money you have on something you dig at the time. Know that you WILL physically grow out of it, let alone change of tastes.
    Also, sometimes teenagers should be rocking raggedy jeans and torn Priest tshirts.

8. grio1212

grio1212 New Member

I felt the same way when I was your age (I’m 19 now).
    Nowadays I enjoy wearing a dress shirt, slacks, and loafers in college. I hope to upgrade overtime and bust out my suits and sport coats.

Your love of classic menswear is nothing to be ashamed of. I, for one, respect a man that puts effort into his appearance.