• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ill fitting Edward Green's

CriticalFish

Reaction score
I have a pair of EGs on the 82 last that are a little loose in the heel. I probably should have gone down a 1/2 size, but they were too hard to resist at the price.

Is there anything I can do about this or do I have to live with it?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CriticalFish
I have a pair of EGs on the 82 last that are a little loose in the heel. I probably should have gone down a 1/2 size, but they were too hard to resist at the price.

Is there anything I can do about this or do I have to live with it?

Have you tried heel/tongue pads? They can really help when a shoe is just a little big.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Lobbs have always started off a little loose in the heel, but seem to grip a bit better over time. Maybe if you just wear your EGs a bit, they'll improve.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've learned the hard way that with shoes, never compromise on fit because of a great price.

If they're just a bit loose, they might grip better with wear. However, are they slip-ons or lace-ups? If slip-ons, you need all the grip you can get...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
If they're just a bit loose, they might grip better with wear.

Ah, so this isn't just my own freak experience. I wonder why this happens. I imagine it's a combination of your foot swelling and the downward pressure of your heel forcing the leather to collapse inward a bit.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it was due to wear. As you move in the shoe it will adapt slightly, any leather will take shape given heat & humidity ... That is also one reason you should never have trees that exert to much pressure, as the will enlarge your shoes.
So i would think a slightly wide heel on a laced shoe should adapt to your heel.
But as RJ says, for a slip on you need all the grip you can get. I would then look into the tongue pads first ...

My 2c

Speed

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
criticalfish,

i've been in your same boat. i got a pair of grants (mto oundle monkstraps w/ a medallion) in an E width fitting. All of my EG/RLPL shoes were a D width fitting, but in the same size mind you.

The E width had too much volume for my foot and the heel slipped a little. Being a monkstrap compounded the problem, whereas an oxford probably would have diminished it. Anyways, I emailed EG and requested a pair of leather sock liners (basically a full length insole) and they sent a pair free of charge! The fit improved dramatically.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Ah, so this isn't just my own freak experience. I wonder why this happens. I imagine it's a combination of your foot swelling and the downward pressure of your heel forcing the leather to collapse inward a bit.
Also, the sole flexes and the shoe bends -- i.e. it gets broken in.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CriticalFish
Are tongue and/or heel pads available from EG?

I doubt it. I'd just pick up a pair in the shoe/foot care section of your local drug store and try them out. (As someone else suggested, I'd try the tongue pads first.) They might help a lot, and if they don't you're out $1.79 or so.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I wonder why this happens.

Slip-ons stretch over time and become looser. Some shoemakers can tighten them for you every few years to maintain the fit.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads