1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ill-designed things that are pissing you off

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by MetroStyles, Jul 5, 2010.

1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Toilets in the same room as pretty much anything else (lots of aerosolized stuff when you flush in the same room as your toothbrush? not a pleasant idea...)

2. 05charley

05charley Senior member

Envelopes

You sent me a bill with an envelope but the bill stub doesn't fit in the envelope(without pushing mashing and swearing), much less the check without folding it. How much did you save by making the envelope an eighth of an inch smaller? I'll bet you're paying someone more than that to unfold my check. Stupid corporate idiots.

And dumbass websites like XM radio that ask for 2 different passwords. That's right, I can't remember the password I used to give you my credit card 3 years ago. So I can't change the number so you will cancel my account. But not before calling me with a recorded message and a 10 digit phone number that I can't write down cause I just got out of the shower to answer the phone. I'm so surprised that your business is down.

3. NSGRBO

NSGRBO Member

It is amazing how often things are designed poorly. One little gripe I have in my Bimmer - It has "automatic" wiper blades that sense the rain and wipe with according frequency. You have to hit a little button on the stalk that comes off the steering column to turn it on, and a light comes on to let you know it's on. But the light is impossible to see through the steering wheel. You have to lean all the way over to peer around the wheel to see it. Far from ideal.
    THIS
    I can't stand it!!

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

A few:
    1. Good logos that get re-vamped when they should have just been left alone.
    2. the many variations of the nipple squirt -bottle -ok for the kids, but stupid with the grownups.
    3. almost anything past version 2.0
    4. scenery from the interstate through a large swath of America.
    5. subdivisions where they bulldoze all the trees but put out a sign advertising sparkling rendering of a finished house with full grown trees around it.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

something that pisses me off for some reason is the packaging on any toothbrushes you buy at the store, oral b, whatever.

the packaging is cardboard on the back of it, but it is punched out smaller than the actual toothbrush and bristles, so when you open up the cardboard via the punched part, the tooth brush doesnt come out easily

so you end up having to YANK out the toothbrush in essence smashing the bristles against the cardboard, and whatever it has to touch on the outside of the dirty cardboard where a hundred other people touched with their dirty hands.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Toilets in the same room as pretty much anything else (lots of aerosolized stuff when you flush in the same room as your toothbrush? not a pleasant idea...)

yeah. and what about the design of some homes today? the freakin toilet and shower room is in the same vicinity as your walk in closet.

so you get the aerosol of shit and urine and toilet paper lint inside of your walk in closet goods as well as moisture from the showers.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I get off on people complaining intelligently.

8. KenN

KenN Senior member

Books that won't stay open. They piss me off tremendously.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

yeah definitely. especially piano books that dont prop open you have to bend them incredibly to stay open anywhere. better to take each page out and punch hole them and place into a 3 ring binder

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Woah...I've never seen one of these. Sounds trippy.

[​IMG]

11. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

The bookmarks bar in Safari. Sometimes when my computer gets bogged down, mouse clicks I made to move the browser window get delayed in transmission, and end up accidently dragging bookmarks out of the bookmarks bar. The bookmark disappears in a puff of smoke, forever banished to the land of wind and dust.

12. KenN

KenN Senior member

Add Philips screws to the list. They require two hands, they slip, and they damage your tool [​IMG]

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Add Philips screws to the list. They require two hands, they slip, and they damage your tool [​IMG]
    You're using the wrong bit if this is happening. They should prove a more secure grip than a flathead.

14. KenN

KenN Senior member

But not as good as a Robertson screw

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i concur.

The bookmarks bar in Safari. Sometimes when my computer gets bogged down, mouse clicks I made to move the browser window get delayed in transmission, and end up accidently dragging bookmarks out of the bookmarks bar. The bookmark disappears in a puff of smoke, forever banished to the land of wind and dust.

16. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

yeah definitely. especially piano books that dont prop open you have to bend them incredibly to stay open anywhere. better to take each page out and punch hole them and place into a 3 ring binder

This is why I only buy spiral-bound piano books.

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

This is why I only buy spiral-bound piano books.

yeah, of course, but not everything is in spiral bound books.

18. otc

otc Senior member

I'm with rambo here..I hate when anybody uses something other than a Phillips screw (and hate that hardware stores seem to indiscriminately stock only Flathead screws in some sizes and Phillips in others)

19. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Computer mice that do not have the sensor in the center or center/front of the mouse. I just bought a Logitech that puts the sensor under the bottom right corner of my palm. What the fuck, man.

20. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

[​IMG] Cant the height variance be more, as in, a good 2 feet? What's the point of having 2 with so little difference? The short one will provide for nearly everyone, so you might as well make the tall one less accommodating to small people. If these people would follow my advice people would be less likely to carry their own water, and the fountain water wouldn't taste metallic.