• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll be in Tijuana from 1/9/2020 through 1/15/2020 (I need a break).

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to go twice in 2020. Once in January to "decompress" and later in the year to attend the Bullfights. I was at the Bullfights in 2018 for the second time, and in August of 2019 and enjoyed it immensely. (I almost always have a good time).

I befriended a man that runs a "Zonky" photograph stand, and plan on returning to a Zapataria of fine repute. I love the wholesome activities that can be found within the city. I tend to avoid the Zona Norte and the negativity that emanates from the *****tonks and brothels. Visiting Liza's "El Girasol" is a 'must stop' for me as she is a personal (and trusted) friend.

When you get into the "rhythm" of Tijuana, you learn that kindness and respect go a long way. A respectful attitude doesn't mean that you'll buy, but it lets the locals know that when you speak the language, you are communicating, rather than condescending. I speak enough Spanish to conduct business and have a pleasant time.
Respect is a huge thing in the Mexican culture. Once you’re kind it almost always reciprocates and attempting to speak even a little Spanish is always a plus. Still, they try to make money off any tourist so you have to be willing to say no.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is such silly logic.

Look up your local news and I’m sure within the past week there’s been some brawl or act of random violence. If not, look up the nearest big city or any city within a 4 1/2 hour flight since that’s how far away this attack was from Tijuana.

Doesn’t Tijuana have about 138 homicides per 100,000 residents? I would be surprised if it’s not one of the most violent cities.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless @Captain O planned to get involved in the local drug trade then why would they target him? Because they like to just murder random tourists all year? Do you really think tourists are their targets or would it make more sense that it’s the rival gang that actually is involved in the drug trade?

It’s like being in NY or LA, you go certain places and others you’re wiser to avoid.

Captain O

Reaction score
Doesn’t Tijuana have about 138 homicides per 100,000 residents? I would be surprised if it’s not one of the most violent cities.

What you fail to comprehend is that the "tourist areas" are extremely well-patrolled. When I was there in August, I chatted with the police in the Zona Centro (the major tourist area) and the Playa de Tijuana (Tijuana Beach). Molesting the "cash cow" that is the tourist/visitor population is NOT tolerated. The tourists/visitors are at least 35-36% of the income for the city. The last time the Cartels caused a drop in the "tourist census" (2008) the City, State, and Federal Authorities dropped on the Cartels like a proverbial "sack-of-$#it". Many Cartel members were killed and imprisoned. The locals will not stand for this nonsense because it cuts into their "bottom line".

The solution?
  1. Don't go into the Zona Norte (the notorious "Red Light District") after dark.
  2. Don't hang out in alleyways.
  3. Don't go drinking in the nightclubs until they close.
  4. Don't look for illicit drugs in the Zona Norte.
  5. Don't frequent the Zona Norte prostitutes (unless you want to contract HIV).
  6. Don't engage in illicit gambling (there are plenty of places to legally gamble on Revolution Avenue).
  7. Don't walk the streets under the influence of alcohol.
  8. Act respectfully and avoid arguing with the locals.
  9. The best way to avoid trouble is to stay out of the local bars. (I never lost anything in one).

rezzor

Reaction score
Well it depends on perspective as well, it does sound like a dangerous place. Some of my work colleagues who are based in Singapore are quite frightened by the US gun violence. They felt unsafe even walking around Seattle after dinner.

Captain O

Reaction score
Respect is a huge thing in Mexican culture. Once you’re kind it almost always reciprocates and attempting to speak even a little Spanish is always a plus. Still, they try to make money off any tourist so you have to be willing to say no.

Truth be told, when I'm in Tijuana, I am appreciated by just about everyone I meet. I have spoken with waiters and their children in the restaurants on Revolution Avenue and even took the time to pray for their health and that of their children. Kindness is never wasted, it always multiplies.
I have a reputation for being a fun and happy "tourist" that refuses to be "taken to the cleaners". This is respected and welcomed. I refuse to have a nasty disposition, and by the same token, I won't tolerate being "conned". This almost always ensures that everyone has a good time.

I like that.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the Cesar salad was invented in Tijuana...

Captain O

Reaction score
I think the Cesar salad was invented in Tijuana...

This is true. In fact, last August I had a "full-sized" Caesar Salad at its home at the Hotel Caesar on Revolution Avenue. (I'll be staying about six blocks south and one block West from there at the Hotel Aqua Rio).

Their salad is legendary and is on my itinerary for nearly every visit.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never been to Tijuana but had no issues in my two trips to Mexico City last year - I also speak no Spanish. For what it's worth I largely stuck to the trendy neighborhoods (La Roma, Condesa, Polanco, Juarez, Centro Historico). As been mentioned before, use common sense and don't start **** with people.

To add, if you read some of the random acts of violence that gets reported frequently here in DC you'd think it was a war zone and every neighborhood (except the Mall) was teaming with muggers and drug dealers. Yes, there is crim - and sometimes in trendy/gentrifying areas but it's not all that bad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Five * thread; would read again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads