• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I'll be in Tijuana from 1/9/2020 through 1/15/2020 (I need a break).

Captain O

Reaction score
After 29 hours and 35 minutes on the "Greydog", I'll be jumping off in San Diego and onto the San Diego Trolley to San Ysidro, where I'll cross the border and walk the two miles to the Aqua Rio Hotel for a six-night stay.

If it doesn't rain, I'll wear my Bailey paper/straw Porkpie hat all over town as I eat great food, blow off firecrackers at the Playa de Tijuana, and generally fool around. The Chinese food in Tijuana is exceptional and the tacos are to die for. The Hotel Caesar serves the original Caesar Salad for about $8.00 + propina (tip). I love walking all over the city and soaking up the ambiance. The 3/4 mile boardwalk from the border fence along the beach is kind of special.

I have been to the Tijuana Wax Museum (Museo de Cera) and the Tijuana Cultural Center. I know some of the shopkeepers and have established a reputation with them over the past two summers.

Does anyone have any special tips while I'm enjoying the city?

Captain O

Reaction score
I was there in August 8/19/2019 through 8/26/2019. I know my way around the town. (I prefer to stay at a nice mid-grade Hotel).

I also have a friend that runs El Girasol (The Sunflower) gift shop on Revolution Avenue. I also know how to travel about town in the little "group taxis" in the city. (I also carry a "combat cane" for my protection).

amiga505

Reaction score
well then, indeed, stay safe. me personally, as much as I would like to visit Mexico, based on what I'm hearing, I'd stay away. it sounds as if even Colombia is safer these days.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t step foot there. Good luck.

Captain O

Reaction score
I am friendly with the people and have yet to run into real trouble. I also avoid the "Zona Norte" (red-light district). I have no interest in either the drugs or the prostitutes.

I'm there for the clean, inexpensive, culture and wholesome fun.

amiga505

Reaction score
well, it did not seem to matter for the people shot on the beach and on the terraces of beachside hotels during the stand-off between the city administration and the cartel couple years back. so once again - stay safe.

rezzor

Reaction score
There are so many nice craft beer and eateries on Avenida Revolucion. Just use common sense and the only thing you need to be afraid of is all the hipsters.

Captain O

Reaction score
I don't drink, smoke tobacco, use recreational drugs or anything negative. I do plan on buying some big firecrackers and throwing them into the surf. I also plan on going back to the Zona Rio and head over to the Cultural Museum, catching the latest film being shown at the IMAX theatre. I like the local seafood and the beach. (My taste runs toward the fresh Shrimp and Lobster, yum)!

If the hipsters begin fooling with me, they'll get a taste of my "combat cane". (Believe me, I can hurt someone if they get stupid).

Captain O

Reaction score
I'll be either wearing my Stetson "Retro" Panama or my Bailey Paper/Straw Porkpie. on the streets. Even in January, Tijuana, Baja California Norte, Mexico is usually a bit warm for wearing my fur felt hats. (I may even wear my eagerly anticipated Blue Suede Shoes).

Is that enough "menswear" content?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i feel people tend to be a little too paranoid about Mexico. You won’t be in danger unless you’re actively looking to cause problems with people. They may try and hustle you when you purchase anything but that’s an obvious one. Enjoy yourself and the delicious food.
Good timing.

Captain O

Reaction score
i feel people tend to be a little too paranoid about Mexico. You won’t be in danger unless you’re actively looking to cause problems with people. They may try and hustle you when you purchase anything but that’s an obvious one. Enjoy yourself and the delicious food.
I plan to go twice in 2020. Once in January to "decompress" and later in the year to attend the Bullfights. I was at the Bullfights in 2018 for the second time, and in August of 2019 and enjoyed it immensely. (I almost always have a good time).

I befriended a man that runs a "Zonky" photograph stand, and plan on returning to a Zapataria of fine repute. I love the wholesome activities that can be found within the city. I tend to avoid the Zona Norte and the negativity that emanates from the honkytonks and brothels. Visiting Liza's "El Girasol" is a 'must stop' for me as she is a personal (and trusted) friend.

When you get into the "rhythm" of Tijuana, you learn that kindness and respect go a long way. A respectful attitude doesn't mean that you'll buy, but it lets the locals know that when you speak the language, you are communicating, rather than condescending. I speak enough Spanish to conduct business and have a pleasant time.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good timing.
This is such silly logic.

Look up your local news and I’m sure within the past week there’s been some brawl or act of random violence. If not, look up the nearest big city or any city within a 4 1/2 hour flight since that’s how far away this attack was from Tijuana.

There obviously are spots within Mexico to truly avoid but the majority of these places are not areas tourists will find themselves in unless they are extremely naive or actively searching them out.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 136 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 254 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.8%