• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ikea furniture

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hate my couch and I want to get a new one. After watching craigslist religiously I am thinking I may give up on trying to find one I like used and buy one new. Ikea has one I like, and it is very comfortable: Sofa. It is available with a charcoal wool cover that looks really nice and very manly, though I don't know how it would be to lounge on it when it gets up in the 90s here. I could buy a cloth cover for it for the summer, though, if necessary. The problem I have is that I have the feeling it will not hold up well. I don't have access to an old one to see how durable they are, but for so little money they have to cut costs somewhere. Either the frame is somewhat weak or the cushions will get smushed down, or something. If I am going to spend this much money on a durable item, I want it to be really durable. I'm not hard on furniture, but I don't want to have to be careful around it either. Does anyone have any experience with Ikea cushioned furniture (sofas/loveseats)? In my experience, some of their stuff is great and some is crap. So...? Thanks.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pieces (armchairs) that have resisted two cats and a toddler for the past 10 years or so. Maybe you go to the store and see if "your" sofa is the one being punched repeatedly?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend $800 on an Ikea couch. We have a few of their couches at the office, and they aren't holding up so particularly well. You should be able to get at least decent leather stuff for that price, much less cloth...

PHV

Reaction score
I hate my couch and I want to get a new one. After watching craigslist religiously I am thinking I may give up on trying to find one I like used and buy one new. Ikea has one I like, and it is very comfortable: Sofa. It is available with a charcoal wool cover that looks really nice and very manly, though I don't know how it would be to lounge on it when it gets up in the 90s here. I could buy a cloth cover for it for the summer, though, if necessary. The problem I have is that I have the feeling it will not hold up well. I don't have access to an old one to see how durable they are, but for so little money they have to cut costs somewhere. Either the frame is somewhat weak or the cushions will get smushed down, or something. If I am going to spend this much money on a durable item, I want it to be really durable. I'm not hard on furniture, but I don't want to have to be careful around it either. Does anyone have any experience with Ikea cushioned furniture (sofas/loveseats)? In my experience, some of their stuff is great and some is crap. So...? Thanks.
I have this one in my apartment, it's not bad at all. http://www.ikea.com/webapp....4*10296

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend $800 on an Ikea couch.  We have a few of their couches at the office, and they aren't holding up so particularly well.  You should be able to get at least decent leather stuff for that price, much less cloth...
Wow, you would hate my mother. She regularly puts sofas in clients' homes (covered in cloth.) that total out in the 5000+ range. But even in the real world, 800 for leather? 800 bucks worth of good upholstery leather wouldn't be enough to cover a sofa, let alone include the frame.

Personally, I see the value of paying $1000 or more for a good quality, non-trendy piece that will last a really long time. I may go for it if I get fed up with this POS and nothing amazing comes along on craigslist. Thanks for the input, everyone.

BTW drizzt, do you happen to know what model those office couches are?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I gotta look at them to find the model #s, but I got a quite nice leather couch from a local furniture store for $600 (of course, on major discount, I think MSRP was $2500 or so)

I'm not saying spending $1000 on a couch is a bad idea, I have custom leather furniture in my place that is nice and quite expensive, I just think that those from Ikea are pretty low quality is all.

PHV

Reaction score
No, I gotta look at them to find the model #s, but I got a quite nice leather couch from a local furniture store for $600 (of course, on major discount, I think MSRP was $2500 or so)  

I'm not saying spending $1000 on a couch is a bad idea, I have custom leather furniture in my place that is nice and quite expensive, I just think that those from Ikea are pretty low quality is all.
I definately agree. I see a big difference between the italian leather couches and the ikea couch I have.

BjornH

Reaction score
We have used Ikea for many of our short term solutions. We have one of those italian $5000 leather sofas in our living room, but when we needed a fold-out couch/sofa for the guest room we went to Ikea.

Much of their stuff is excellent but I would look at an Ikea sofa in my living room as a way to put off an expensive purchase untill I had the money to buy what I really want. It will look good for a while but it's future is perhaps uncertain. When you finally have the money to buy something nice, you can throw it away without feeling guilty.

B

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a single good experience with Ikea furniture.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could be sold on a futon: modern, simple lines, cheap, durable, versatile, easy to "reupholster."

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
all of my furniture, except for the couch, is ikea. when we lived in israel I had two couches from ikea (the day my son was born I went to buy 2 couches, and threw out the futon I had had for 10 years). those couches lasted less than 2 years- they looked fine, but they were very uncomfortable. I got a very good couch for $800 or so, from a large chain, the fun part was spending 3 saturdays looking at couches with my wife and son
wink.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps you could be sold on a futon: modern, simple lines, cheap, durable, versatile, easy to "reupholster."
Not a chance, but thanks for the suggestion. I have never liked futons.

Based on responses, I think I will probably hold out for a good deal on a sofa that can be upholstered and use my mother's contacts to get a reasonable deal on that. I worked it out with her and it should cost me about $6-700 delivered plus the cost of the sofa, and it will end up being much closer to exactly what I want, and if I get a good one, will last a lot longer. I do see them from time to time in the thrifts. Thanks everyone.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ikea is fine if you take it for what it's worth. I consider it disposable furniture. All the dressers, desks, and shelving units I've seen/had, basically break down and get real unsturdy and shakey when you move them. Build it in the exact spot where you intend to use the piece, and never move it, you should be fine.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ikea is fine if you take it for what it's worth. I consider it disposable furniture. All the dressers, desks, and shelving units I've seen/had, basically break down and get real unsturdy and shakey when you move them. Build it in the exact spot where you intend to use the piece, and never move it, you should be fine.
It's the Swatch among furniture
biggrin.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ Feb. 08 2005,19:07) Ikea is fine if you take it for what it's worth. I consider it disposable furniture. All the dressers, desks, and shelving units I've seen/had, basically break down and get real unsturdy and shakey when you move them. Build it in the exact spot where you intend to use the piece, and never move it, you should be fine.
It's the Swatch among furniture
biggrin.gif

Next time you come to the US, pay a visit to the local "Value City Furniture". You'll see why Americans with some taste but little money may think Ikea is a style savior.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics