• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ikea appliances

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with Ikea appliances (refridgerators, ranges, dishwashers)? We're looking at condos and may have to do some rehabbing of a kitchen. While looking at cabinets today we discovered Ikea carries appliances made by Whirlpool, usually a good name.

Has anyone any experience with these, good or bad?

thanks,
bob

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I'd imagine they'd be identical to the reliability of Whirlpool appliances.

summej2

Reaction score
Yes, I don't believe these are any different than Whirlpool's regular items. My wife installed an IKEA dishwasher in a rental house some time back and never had problems.

Incidently, the cabinets are a good choice: Poggenpohl or Bulthaup on the cheap. Stay away from their sinks and the pull-out units that are not made by Blum and you'll be pleased.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sinks, really? I would imagine it would be hard to screw up a sink. We especially like the big porcelain country looking sink (sticks out from the countertop). The only problem we could see is that they are not pre-drilled for a dishwasher valve-thingy.

And by "pull-out units" do you mean the tall pantry units? How can you tell who made them?

bob

summej2

Reaction score
I don't know about the porcelain sinks (usually farm-house style sinks are enamel on cast iron), but the stainless-steel sinks are of a thin gauge and the faucets are not so durable. We used the cabinets and, with the savings, spent the rest of the budget on a custom sink (stainless steel integrated with a stainless countertop that I designed and we had fabricated up in Buffalo).

The pantry units either have wire baskets (not Blum) or the more-expensive drawer-like units (made by Blum). The corner cabinet units (lazy susans, etc.) are pretty poor quality, but better-quality units like rev-a-shelf will fit just fine.

pm me if you want more detail, I just refinished our kitchen about a year ago

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
IKEA usaually offers exellent value for money. The Dutch consumers organisation ("Consumentenbond") tested electric ovens a few months ago and the IKEA oven was considered to be "best buy"; not absolutely the best in quality and performance but very good considering the price... I know this since our electric ATAG oven (+25 years) is slowly dying
blush.gif

mayonaise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl
IKEA usaually offers exellent value for money.

The Dutch consumers organisation ("Consumentenbond") tested electric ovens a few months ago and the IKEA oven was considered to be "best buy"; not absolutely the best in quality and performance but very good considering the price...

I know this since our electric ATAG oven (+25 years) is slowly dying
blush.gif

I agree with this poster, go for it and tell us how satisfied you are
biggrin.gif

Tibo

Reaction score
I own IKEA kitchen appliances (oven, dishwasher, sink, tap, gas hob and hood) since 3+ years and haven't had any issue with them since. They're fully functional, reasonably designed and their price can't be beaten. As already said, these are Whirlpool appliances.

Don't expect the latest in design or innovation but if their features are in line with what you're looking for then it's OK.

I'm sure there's better, but I'm also sure it's much more expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads