• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ignoring Compliments

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized that I have a tendency to ignore compliments from people. It takes me about five seconds to just notice one. I don't respond or react to them. Would a person who doesn't care much for getting compliments seem like an AZZ to you? How does everyone else handle them? Thank the giver and continue on with what you were talking about?
eh.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if I just kiss you, would you still be as oblivious?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I realized that I have a tendency to ignore compliments from people. It takes me about five seconds to notice I just received one. I don't respond or react to them. Would a person who doesn't care much for getting compliments seem like an AZZ to you? How does everyone else handle them?
eh.gif

Do you mean work ethic compliments, looks compliments??

Compliments in general I think I just smile and say thank you.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I realized that I have a tendency to ignore compliments from people. It takes me about five seconds to notice I just received one. I don't respond or react to them. Would a person who doesn't care much for getting compliments seem like an AZZ to you? How does everyone else handle them?
eh.gif

A sincere 'thanks' and pretend to be flattered in as modest and unassuming a way possible. Then cap it off w/ a quick self-deprecatory remark that deflects the 'essence' of the compliment back to the giver or some other party (e.g. your beautiful/wonderful wife)

danz24

Reaction score
eh.gif

Maybe something like..."thank you?"
Or if thats too hard.. try saying, "Thanks" saves you an extra syllable.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For some reason, I get uncomfortable when I get a compliment. However, I never ignore them I just smile and or say thank you.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compliments embarrass me, so I understand what you mean.
frown.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I reply, "Thank you for noticing."
Honestly.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Compliments embarrass me, so I understand what you mean.
frown.gif

Likewise.
Especially when someone goes "You're the best" or something along those lines. How am I supposed to respond to it?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Likewise.
Especially when someone goes "You're the best" or something along those lines. How am I supposed to respond to it?

Say: "no, you're the best!" and slap them in the face.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Say: "no, you're the best!" and slap them in the face.

What if she reads SF too, won't it degrade into a vicious circle?

Crawford

Reaction score
If you respond with "I know" it usually catches them offguard.

singhstyle

Reaction score
IMO, a smile and "thank you" is the most calm and effective way to respond.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I say "Thanks" and then put it back in my pants.

Oh dear... I thought that this was Dumb Threads.

laugh.gif

I don't like compliments made in public... "we really appreciate all the work so and so has been doing"

I got those occasionally at various work meetings et cetera and I always feel awkward. I try to just smile and act as though I consider it no big deal.

robie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads