1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ignorant Sales People

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yellman, Aug 3, 2006.

1. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

So you can actually buy a "hair shirt"? I always thought it was just a figure of speech.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

Interesting. I've never seen that before. Just curious, but does anyone know the difference between flax and linen? I noticed RL has started marking some items as 'Flax' and others as 'Linen'. I was always under the impression that they were one and the same.

They are the same (the flax abbreviation is LI). I am guessing different factories mark items differently for RL. USA usually marked linen; Italy usually marked flax...

3. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Oh God, my suit is made of Yak.

BTW: are you sure you weren't playing a certain poster's favorite game? (I will find fault with this establishment?)

4. rgpuppy

rgpuppy Active Member

Flax and Linen both come from the same plant....if i remember my basic textiles correctly...

Flax is made from the stalk or out portion of the stem.

It is harder to spin and dye...you normally see flax as darker short "splinter" type things in a rather course weave. I seem to remember something about the way flax dyes or more accurately does not take dye...so normally used in its natural color.

Linen is spun, twiusted and woven just liek cotton etc...

Flax and Linen both fall under the same duty codes...

And Yes Cashmere is WS...but normally in clothing made for US market it is labeled as Cashmere. If this Rosen jkt said WS it likely a name dropped label. In other words purchased from a branded company who changed the label to provide to them as a private label/branded product.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Walked into Nordstorms, yes just to kill a bit of time. But a salesmen latched on anyway. Asked him if they carried any Canali or Oxxford. "Oh no, we only carry quality brands, here I can show you some Hugo Boss and Joseph Abboud." Sure I'm fairly ignorant as well... but I don't work in a Men's wear department. It also pains me when carsalesmen show the same lack of knowledge about their product.
    [​IMG] Did you slap him? Hard? Or at least call him out that incredible bullshit?

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I don't like it when they tell me their name.

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Someone PLEASE explain this to me. What is so wrong with salespeople or waiters saying their name? After all, if you have a complaint you don't have to sit there and try to describe them. This came especially in handy when my waitress was an absolute bitch at a Perkins I went to earlier this year.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

You have two choices: 1) keep reading the forums and then you'll not be dependent on sales clerks for garment info. 2)Go to a store with knowledgeable sales people.

9. ArtisticShowcase

ArtisticShowcase Senior Member

Even though I work at TJMaxx, it's still retail so I feel valid to share my opinion.

I have the same problems at work when people ask me questions like "On Ralph Lauren dress shirts, what is the difference between "classic fit" and "slim fit" or what is the difference between 120 and 130 wool?" Too bad that the pay is not a base salary and commission because I would be rolling in dough.

Grant it, many people who shop at TJMaxx do not know termology or standards that many people at the Style Forum know. I have been to many Nordstroms (particularly the one in Towson, Maryland) where all of the sales people are very attentive and knowledgable about their products. I've have also been to other department stores like Bloomingdales where the sales people in the young men's department couldn't give a damn about helping me at all find what I want.

I think that all retail associates especially managers, should learn about what they sell. It's your money and I feel that it is the job of the store workers to make sure it is put to best use, and that means being kind, knowledgable, and helpful.

10. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Do you carry Kiton?
    Pet store, down the road, see the light, turn left, first little shop.
    Thanks.

11. stach

stach Senior Member

Salespeople tell you their name if they work on commission. That way if they leave you alone for a bit and another salesperson approaches you, you can say you're being helped by X.

12. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior Member

I asked the saleslady what made this shirt worth $330.

sorry but silly questions deserve silly answers.

mrr

13. lakewolf

lakewolf Distinguished Member

Interesting. I've never seen that before. Just curious, but does anyone know the difference between flax and linen? I noticed RL has started marking some items as 'Flax' and others as 'Linen'. I was always under the impression that they were one and the same.

lin·en (lĭn'en)
    n.

• Thread made from fibers of the flax plant.
      • Cloth woven from this thread.
    1. also linens Articles or garments made from linen or a similar cloth, such as cotton; bed sheets and tablecloths.
    2. Paper made from flax fibers or having a linenlike luster.
    adj.

1. Made of flax or linen.
    2. Resembling linen.

[Middle English, from Old English līnen, made of flax, from Germanic *līnin-, from *līnam, flax, probably from Latin līnum.]

14. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

But why, they sell Canali, AE, etc.. at this store, the suits go up to and pass $2k why not have them know their product, it can only help them to sell. Even car salesman typically know what the buttons on the cars do.

Having worked in retail clothing, I'll tell you why: most customers, even those who pay luxury prices, either know and don't ask or don't give a flying fig. They see shiney fabric that's soft in a color they like and they buy it. Every notice rich people's clothing often doesn't fit any better than the typical JCPenney shopper's? They spend more, but they don't care any more than the rest of the buying public. Therefore, as long as the sales associate can operate the register, remove security tags, and doesn't steal, management is happy. If the odd customer here and there has a serious, in-depth question, management relies on the mistaken assumption that they'll find someone who knows.

EDIT: By extension, this is the same reason so many designer brands can sell clothes with decent fabrics/leathers and mediocre-to-poor construction at prices that are often higher than bespoke services'.

15. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

Most customers don't need a good reason why it's $300 -- it's $300 because it's the new whatever from whomever, and they want to wear it because it appeals to their eye and/or because the cool guys in the glossy magazine ads wear stuff by made that company. Manufacturers don't even try to sell based on specs -- how often do you see clothing ads that extol the virtues of the fit, the fabric, the workmanship, or anything like that? Car ads put their primary focus on the aesthetics and image too, but at least they try to give you a few token technical specs. Other than fabric composition, clothing manufacturers really don't. Usually because there ain't really much of merit to say. So we can blame the store or the salesperson, but the reality is, most clothing isn't usually sold to mass market customers based on substance, because there usually isn't much substance there, and because substance isn't really what most customers care about.

Having said all that, too many salespeople are not only underinformed, they're lazy and indifferent -- but that's a separate issue.