1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

'iGent Myths Busted!'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VRaivio, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

pwned

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I did the majority of my "research" or reading or whatever you'd like to call it well before I actually signed up for an account here. To be honest I think it's best to have some understanding of things before you attempt to "contribute." Though I know that is a dangerous idea. And, as you are no doubt aware, it's a dangerous assumption to correlate post counts or date of membership with insight. Though I did the majority of my learning here from much older threads of which I was not a part. Aside from a few threads or off-hand discussions, the vast majority of what gets discussed here now has already been covered. But, then again, that is the nature of the beast as new people take an interest and old people have new experiences.

I really hang around now for insight into bespoke processes and to exchange PMs with more experienced members than myself. Anything outside of that generally falls into the category of snark or trying to inject some sense of reality into the conversation.

EDIT: Likely more to your point/question, I very rarely post fit pics here because I don't need the validation. Half ignorance is bliss, half cyber eliitism.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

That devolves quickly into personal preference.

I suppose you can criticize someone for a lack of internal consistency among their preferences but he can skirt that by making any norms sufficiently specific.

Manton's philosophy, as I understand it, relies on a univesal aesthetic sense though one, quite obviously, not shared by all or even by all of the relevant audience.

The implications follow much more clearly from that premise than they do from yours. Though, in the abstract, his premise is much harder to defend.

4. Cantabrigian

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to read your rebuttal.

I just don't want you to burn yourself out and then only post in CE for three months.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guys, I don't see what's so complicated. A good rule isn't necessarily one that's always been. So what if no one ever said "no charcoal odd trousers?" Somebody is saying that now, and giving you reasons for it. Use your brain and ask yourself if those reasons make sense. That's why Sator wound up wasting his time trying to crack these so-called "iGent myths." That they were pronounced by so-called "iGents" doesn't necessarily make them bad.

One great thing about the internet is that communities like ours can now get together and exchange ideas. It wouldn't be surprising if we came up with some newly-distilled best practices together.

3 people like this.
  6. bourbonbasted

QFT

7. mafoofan

I think you're trying to read two views as necessarily exclusive to each other, when they are not. My essential point is that "rules" have meaning and history, and we should contemplate them to determine how they should be applied (if at all), rather than merely mimmic what others have done before in a rote fashion. Nobody here, not even Manton, strictly adheres to every rule. Dressing is a thinking art. You don't dress well by simply following what's "correct" (AAAC) or dressing on impulsive whim (WAYWRN). You have to think about what you're doing.

Believing in a universal aesthetic is only helpful if you attempt to derive guidance (aka "rules") from it. That leads you to the problem of distinguishing good rules from bad, which is what I was addressing. Separate issues.

8. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I completely agree with this. My issue with the way "rules" are sometimes presented is the claim that in the past they were societally enforced on a wide basis, when evidence is to the contrary.

I am happy with the assertion that for decades exceptionally well-dressed men would never pair Thing X with Thing Y, nor ever contemplate wearing Thing Z. But that is often extended into an untenable claim that in the past no reasonably acceptably-dressed man would do so.

1 person likes this.
  9. Manton

I was banned from the CE!

10. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

There is always a degree of societal enforcement with clothes. You have to wear them in public or face arrest for example.

Did you go to school in England, did you wear a uniform at school. Why do you think this was. What were they trying to achieve?

11. bourbonbasted

To be fair, it was self-imposed...

[​IMG]

12. bertie

bertie Senior member

Apologies for my naivety - has there been a thread that tried to capture the "rules" as opposed to "wardrobe basics"?

13. Cantabrigian

Wait. Wut? Really?

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It only leads to arguments about what's a rule and what's just convention, and what's a personal preference. Also there are some rules that are generally known and generally observed (don't wear black shoes and a brown belt) and some that aren't generally known nor observed (don't wear black suits during the day).

15. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Arguments can be good.

16. Manton

No, it couldn't, because all such rules are conventions.

17. mafoofan

Well, the way I interpret them, conventions are statements of what's done. In contrast, rules are what should be done. Often they are one and the same, but not always. No?

18. bertie

bertie Senior member

So would it make sense to start such a thread? Might be best if a dubiously honoured member did to allow for vicious moderation.

19. mafoofan

It's already happening in the good taste thread Manton started.

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I'm using the word "convention" poorly. Is "your pants should be a lighter shade than your jacket" a rule? I'd say no, but it's a good guide, and mostly you will see well-dressed men wearing trousers that are lighter than their jacket when not wearing a suit. But I wouldn't elevate it to a "rule".