'iGent Myths Busted!'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VRaivio, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Brown is something of a special case in that you wear it together in different shades.

There is more flexibility with a lighter grey trou because if gives a greater range of contrast.

2. cosmic

cosmic Well-Known Member

My 'rules' would be:

1. It fits well
    2. It looks good & matches the rest of the outfit
    3. It isn't inappropriate

Beyond that I would say everything is subjective taste, fashion, and so on. Let's face it, suits didn't exist back in the middle ages, and many cultures have utterly different styles of dress to our own. A good outfit for a Masai warrior or a Mongolian sheep herder is going to have nothing in common with western ideas of 'permanent style'. However, a good outfit in those cultures should still fit well, look good, and be appropriate in the context of when and where it is worn.

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

There is or should be more to 3. Not messing up shouldn't be your sole aim. There is a modern style vocabulary though not ubiquitous and more in flux than in the past.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Agreed. Besides, I don't think most members of this forum are aiming for "adequately dressed", which is what I think this is (though many fail to achieve even this).

5. cosmic

cosmic Well-Known Member

But you don't have to play the game to look stylish. You can utterly ignore the game and all its rules and language, and still dress very stylishly.

You only have to play the game if you want to be fashionable, or to fit in. Although those may be useful goals, depending on what you are trying to achieve, they have little to do with style.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

6. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Give an example.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Time for the lawyers to draft the constitution of igent's dress to solidify myth and heresy into rules.

8. cosmic

cosmic Well-Known Member

There are multiple style vocabularies - consider what would be appropriate at a biker meet or a rodeo. Unless we are to say that it is impossible to dress with style in those situations, then we must admit that style is not restricted to just one way of dressing. Even if you are a conservative elitist and say that those other social settings have inherently unstylish dress, then consider this - no modern style vocabulary was worn by a single person in the whole world as little as 300 years ago. Therefore it is either impossible that style is limited to any one modern style vocabulary (or even all of them), or it is impossible that anyone dressed with style 300 years ago. The latter conclusion is clearly absurd, so style must therefore be something that is wider and longer-lasting than the predominant way of dressing in any part of the modern world.

In other words, style transcends all fashions and social conventions. It must be based on timeless universal factors, not on what is the taste in place X or time Y.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

9. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

LabelKing.

10. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

????

11. mktitsworth

The context for Cantabrigian's statement is implicit and this is an irrelevant set of statements.

12. mktitsworth

You wanted an example of someone who totally ignores the rules and doesn't play the game.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

he is a fu&**k Alpha..nothing compares :)

14. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

I was actually hoping for a picture of someone.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

He doesn't break all the rules though. At his best, his color and pattern-matching are way beyond the average on this forum.