1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TintoTerra, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

With the economy the way it is, we should be encouraging the fatties to buy moar clothes now, and then even more when they diet. Or even better, encourage them to both eat more AND get gym memberships. Leveraging the fatties is America's only hope now. (5)

2. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.

3. SField

SField Senior member

But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.

From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.

4. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Same goes with being underweight.

5. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Underweight never had mold growing in secret places.

6. SField

SField Senior member

Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.

7. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.
    Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again.

Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em.

Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others.
    Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.
    You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?

8. SField

SField Senior member

Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again. Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em. Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight. How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?
    They take up sidewalks, fill up elevators, and can make riding in coach absolute hell. I don't see how anyone could be happy carrying around far more bulk than they need, though I don't rule out that they're happy with it. But the question was, why would you buy nice clothes if you're fat. Well, I'm of the opinion that a fat person should be actively trying to lose weight and to become healthier. I certainly don't think everyone has to look like a fitness model, but there's the other extreme as well which we now see quite a bit. I mean, it's one thing to have a little bit of a beer belly and the start of some man boobs, but when we're talking about a massive portion of the population being obese, that's a different matter altogether. And I don't think that a fat person is just enjoying a few twinkies now and again. They're either disgustingly lazy, or they're probably gorging themselves. In any case, they are taking in more calories than what they expend. A lot of people are probably 20 even 30 lbs overweight which is not great but it isn't terrible... but when people are like 50lbs+ overweight... that's making a conscious decision to be a glutton. It's an indefensible position barring some injury or medical condition that incapacitates you for a protracted period of time.

9. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?

He's not projecting motivations onto fat people. He's saying what being fat implies socially. If anything he's projecting his perceptions of fat people on everyone else. But he's probably right. When's the last time you heard someone say "that guy's so underweight and lazy"?

10. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

I am underweight, and get teased relentlessly. In public, work and around family. Sure socially fat is least desirable, but being really skinny isn't too cool either.

11. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

Yeah, having someone grossly obese siting next to you on a plane sucks. Other than that though, toughen up, guy.
    Ok, but what if they've decided not to? Why shouldn't they dress well?

The rest of the stuff you typed is you projecting your beliefs. And how is it an "indefensible" position? If anything, your postion is going to be far harder to defend. You don't get to tell other people what to do.

Honestly, I'm not trying to defend being over weight. I'm just taking issue with your attitude about it. Other than the possibility of an uncomfortable plane ride, they are in no way causing you any discomfort. If the sight of someone being that heavy bothers you that much, you might want to look into why.

On the other hand, what gives you the right to tell people what to do with their lives? If they want to buy a MTM suit when they're 250+, there's absolutely nohing wrong with it.
    He's not projecting motivations onto fat people. He's saying what being fat implies socially. If anything he's projecting his perceptions of fat people on everyone else. But he's probably right. When's the last time you heard someone say "that guy's so underweight and lazy"?
    He is though. He's calling them gluttonous and/or lazy.

No argument that it's frowned upon socially, but really, that's a larger problem than someone weighing too much. People shouldn't be making their life choices on the basis of what makes other people happy.

And I grew up a beanpole too. I got totally teased about it.

12. SField

SField Senior member

This is a forum where people pose questions with the expectation of getting some opinions back. I am not writing to my congressman to ask him to introduce a bill that will make being fat illegal. You have this problem with me "telling people what to do". I am not telling anyone what to do. I am giving you my opinion that fat people are fat because of one or several destructive behaviors that they're sort of covering up by buying nice clothes. How else does one get fat besides eating and lack of activity? The number of people who became fat due to other reasons would be tiny next to the amount of people who are as I say, lazy gluttons.

A guy at 250, unless he's an MMA fighter or a football star, should be working like hell to get to a normal body weight. You don't like that opinion, fine. I'm not trying to make this pass into law, I'm simply answering the question that was asked.

So no, if you're overweight, you shouldn't be buying nice clothes.

13. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

^If you think about it the clothes have nothing to do with your position. Change the title to Fat people quit being fat.

14. SField

SField Senior member

^If you think about it the clothes have nothing to do with your position. Change the title to Fat people quit being fat.

No, my position is essentially that by buying nice clothes, a fat person is acknowledging that their situation is OK and have no intentions of doing anything but at least maintaining their current weight.

15. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

So then you are in fact saying being fat is not ok? Assuming you aren't judging fat people your statement is pointless. Might as well make a thread called not doing your math HW is bad. Or you do mean to disparage the larger folk in which case your an asshole. This thread is based on a premise thats extremely dumb. Take a dude like gianfranco ferre, should he have been wearing sweatpants.

16. noel_esq.

noel_esq. Senior member

Fat people are just lazy and full of excuses.

17. SField

SField Senior member

So then you are in fact saying being fat is not ok?
    Of course that's what I'm saying. Look at the fucking question:"If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?" There's a value judgment being made. Of course I'd have to think that being fat is not ok if I were to not endorse an act of accepting it or even trying to mitigate the fact that there is a problem by "covering" it up so to speak. I've had fat friends and I may like them as people but I'll certainly encourage them to lose weight and help them in any way I can, just as they have judged me when I've been behaving badly in other ways as well. Fat is a flaw, just like many other things are and I think that people should endeavor to fix their flaws. If a fat person wants to stay fat then that's fine, but if I'm asked whether or not I think it's ok for them to just give up, then I will tell you exactly what I've been saying now. It's not like I go around in the streets running into every fatty and handing them a gym membership and a south beach diet bar.

18. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

^Then we just disagree. I see nothing wrong with anybody else's weight unless its extreme and life-threatening. I got my problems they got theirs.

19. SField

SField Senior member

^Then we just disagree. I see nothing wrong with anybody else's weight unless its extreme and life-threatening. I got my problems they got theirs.

Me neither, I'm just telling you my private thoughts. The only reason I've ever said something about a friend's weight was because they were complaining about it. Another time I told someone I cared about that they needed to get in shape. Other than that I don't publicly voice these opinions.

20. swooc

swooc Senior member

get a gastric bypass, a bit of lipo suction here and there and some chest/abs/bicep implants and you're set.