• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If your wardrobe is too large, you end up looking worse.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm off to get some coffee & pastries..

Anyone?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
yo I have only read one post in this thread and that's mafoofans post on the 2nd page.

this is a terrible analogy because in tournament regulated play there were limits on deck sizes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
From one of Murdoch's gossip & propaganda rags, referenced in another thread:

The politically frustrated Anthony Eden expressed himself through dandyism when a younger parliamentarian, but Ã
00a9.png
lan came back to haunt him. Cruelly Bertrand Russell concluded: "Not a gentleman; dresses too well."

I know that you know that Russell meant that ironically, which the writer of that Murdoch-owned piece would not know.

"...the concept of the gentleman was invented by the aristocrats to keep the middle classes in order." - Bertrand Russell

In other words, the pursuit of appearing as a gentleman is not very aristrocratic at all.

There are some pith helmet pics out and about that capture this notion in a more modern way.

BTW, the favorite source of quotations for those who wear pith helmets today?

Wodehouse.
devil.gif

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I know that you know that Russell meant that ironically, which the writer of that Murdoch-owned piece would not know. "...the concept of the gentleman was invented by the aristocrats to keep the middle classes in order." - Bertrand Russell In other words, the pursuit of appearing as a gentleman is not very aristrocratic at all. There are some pith helmet pics out and about that capture this notion in a more modern way. BTW, the favorite source of quotations for those who wear pith helmets today? Wodehouse.
devil.gif

Of course someone with Russell's politics could only have said that ironically; but that doesn't mean that he wasn't purposefully getting at something by pointing out that Eden failed to meet some standard, which is in some kind of supervenience (i.e. necessary covariation) relation with the ungentlemanly appearance. It's a figure of speech, as synecdoche of of sorts. Suppose I said: "I don't like Gordon Brown because he's no champion of the working man!". Well, I'm to the left of the parliamentary Labour party, but not in a way that makes me think that its main purpose is to conduct some kind of class warfare. Still, I may say that ironically to point out something fishy with Brown's pandering to City interests. Not the best example, I know, but still better than deciphering the Melian dialogue, so there you go. P.S. Notice that the point here is that we don't have to approve of the pursuit of a gentlemanly appearance, or of the appearance of a class war (per se). The point is that the lack of such appearances is symptomatic of something else that's wrong.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You guys could manage to turn a discussion regarding toothbrushes into another social class/gentleman thread. Not very stylish considerations....

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You guys could manage to turn a discussion regarding toothbrushes into another social class/gentleman thread. Not very stylish considerations....
With that I agree. But I'd like to think that life and the contemplation of life run on parallel lines, so they don't contaminate each other too much. I'm probably wrong, though. Also, in my last post I was trying to suggest that we can discuss the gentleman/class thing in order to talk about something else, as Russell arguably did. That's probably a better response to your worry.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
With that I agree. But I'd like to think that life and the contemplation of life run on parallel lines, so they don't contaminate each other too much. I'm probably wrong, though.

You live in the civilization of the commentary mate, fat chance.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Hi, my name is Pamela and I stopped taking my meds.

biggrin.gif

(Sorry, as you can see I have a rather pessimistic outlook on life.)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course someone with Russell's politics could only have said that ironically; but that doesn't mean that he wasn't purposefully getting at something by pointing out that Eden failed to meet some standard, which is in some kind of supervenience (i.e. necessary covariation) relation with the ungentlemanly appearance. It's a figure of speech, as synecdoche of of sorts. Suppose I said: "I don't like Gordon Brown because he's no champion of the working man!". Well, I'm to the left of the parliamentary Labour party, but not in a way that makes me think that its main purpose is to conduct some kind of class warfare. Still, I may say that ironically to point out something fishy with Brown's pandering to City interests. Not the best example, I know, but still better than deciphering the Melian dialogue, so there you go.

P.S. Notice that the point here is that we don't have to approve of the pursuit of a gentlemanly appearance, or of the appearance of a class war (per se). The point is that the lack of such appearances is symptomatic of something else that's wrong.

Don't disappoint me. Russell was making fun of the interviewer in the manner oft used by the most intelligent.

I myself am not intelligent so I cannot use his techniques.

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't disappoint me. Russell was making fun of the interviewer in the manner oft used by the most intelligent.

Maybe. But nothing tells us that he wasn't doing that and what I suggested he was doing. Russell certainly was intelligent enough to multitask, after all.

I myself am not intelligent so I cannot use his techniques.

Come on, that's a bit of a low blow (and that's why I couldn't resist the above -- sorry).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe. But nothing tells us that he wasn't doing that and what I suggested he was doing. Russell certainly was intelligent enough to multitask, after all.

Come on, that's a bit of a low blow (and that's why I couldn't resist the above -- sorry).

The low blow is very aristocratic and wonderful.

A quick, poppy way to see the American version look at this...you might enjoy it:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Well, here's the thing, let's be practical: if someone follows your philosophy, they are likely to look pretty good and be comfortable doing so.

How's that?

Oh, if you've never seen that flick, I think that you would enjoy it.

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The low blow is very aristocratic and wonderful. Well, here's the thing, let's be practical: if someone follows your philosophy, they are likely to look pretty good and be comfortable doing so. How's that?
Deal, on both accounts.
Oh, if you've never seen that flick, I think that you would enjoy it.
I've seen it, and I have it on DVD. 'Doomed. Bourgeois. In love', says the cover of my Region 2 edition. I'll tell you more: before I clicked the Youtube link I had a feeling that it would be Metropolitan. P.S. Let's say that I'm content with being some sort of European Tom Townsend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads