• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you wanted a blazer or sportcoat

hugomano

Reaction score
If you wanted a blaze or sportcoat, which would you prefer:

Bespoke
Zegna MTM
Oxxford MTM
Hickey-Freeman MTM

Just consider the time factor of bespoke vs. getting a good fashion forward Zegna for instance....I leave out the obvious, Brioni and Kiton for obvious price reasons.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hugomano

Bespoke
Zegna MTM
Oxxford MTM
Hickey-Freeman MTM

Just consider the time factor of bespoke vs. getting a good fashion forward Zegna for instance....I leave out the obvious, Brioni and Kiton for obvious price reasons.

I have an awesome Oxxford hopsack blazer. One of my favorite pieces of clothing. No experience with the others, but I will say that with an item like a blazer, there's something to be said for the more traditional oxxford look.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is an odd/tough question, because of the big differences between bespoke and MTM and between the MTM makers you've shortlisted.

Personally, I think I have enough odd jackets now that time is not of the essence any longer, so I'd go bespoke. Besides, they have my pattern pretty refined now, so it doesn't take all that long.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not too long ago I needed a new blazer relatively quickly. I chose a Zegna mtm, turn around being about 4.5 weeks. I don't think it is perfect, but I am satisfied and ended up ordering a suit when I picked it up. Taking into consideration of cost, time, and cloth selection I would recommend zegna mtm.

waywt024.jpg

waywt010-4.jpg

hugomano

Reaction score
Nice. Looks like silver colored buttons which I like over the old gold trad.

May I ask about how much it cost?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask about how much it cost?

I chose an upcharge fabric called micronsphere. This wasn't the traveler series micron, it was out of the high performance book. The jacket cost 1800, although a colleague at work got one in a different cloth for around 1500. The cloth changes the cost.

Btw I think with any of your posted options, you will have a choice of buttons.

hugomano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I chose an upcharge fabric called micronsphere. This wasn't the traveler series micron, it was out of the high performance book. The jacket cost 1800, although a colleague at work got one in a different cloth for around 1500. The cloth changes the cost.

Btw I think with any of your posted options, you will have a choice of buttons.

Well cheaper than a Kiton I guess

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
I chose a Zegna mtm, turn around being about 4.5 weeks. I don't think it is perfect, but I am satisfied...

What did you change with the suit order? Looks mighty nice.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
What did you change with the suit order? Looks mighty nice.

Thanks. I chose a higher two-button stance and went with charcoal 15milmil15 cloth. I shortened the lenght of the coat a bit and requested a little more waist supression....lime green lining this time
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bespoke
Zegna MTM
Oxxford MTM
Hickey-Freeman MTM

Zegna is very different from Oxxford, stylistically. Oxxford is very different from the other two construction and price wise. What style are you looking for, that should be your starting point.

hugomano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Zegna is very different from Oxxford, stylistically. Oxxford is very different from the other two construction and price wise. What style are you looking for, that should be your starting point.
I know Oxxford is more Trad and Zegna more fashion forward, Italian.

Think a bit more fashion forward would be nice. As I said, I prefer the more modern look of silver buttons to gold.

SantaCruzGuy

Reaction score
(That's about as cheap as it gets, we'll except for HF)

Sounds quite impressive. The jacket looks really great!
There's no way on gods earth I could afford $1,500-$1,800 for a sport coat. Maybe someday.

I wanted something decent so I sprang for a Brooks Bro. Loro Piana navy blue SB with the trad buttons. It seems to fit me pretty well, the jacket you posted seems awfully nice, however, I can tell you guys are in a slightly different league with your knowledge base.

I had mixed feelings re. the trad buttons, but they seem to grow on me, the more I look at them the more I like them. I really do admire that jacket though, it looks very clean and "sharp"
wink.gif
Nice going.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy
I can tell you guys are in a slightly different league with your knowledge base.

Thanks, but I am in no different league than you my friend. I am here learning, just like a lot of others. Please do not think you have to spend money to get a nice item that fits well and is stylish. Many members here can peice together low-cost outfits that are of high quality and fit well.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did I mention that I paid $45 for my Oxxford blazer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics