1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you owned your own Firm, what would the dress code be

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

My buddy started his own consulting Firm, and the dress at that place is shameful.

So I was thinking about it, and decided that I would do:

Business professional on M-F, friday is business casual and/or jeans depending on role.

During the summer, I'd also allow blazers/sportcoats with no tie M-F and jeans on friday.

What about you folks?

2. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

I like it. The importance of dress in the professional world is important and often the way you dress affects the mood. If you dress well you will often feel more confident (not cocky hopefully). I do like the different blazers and sport coats in the summer but I personally would never wear jeans when meeting with a client.

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Jacket and tie for managers or higher. Button up and slacks for employees below manager.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh yeah, if you have a client meeting, its suit, no exceptions.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It depends on the company. If consulting, legal then formal. If it's an internet startup, then casual

6. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

It depends entirely on who your clients are.

If I'm working on a uranium mine there is no way in hell I'm showing up in a suit unless it's the first day.

Getting the people on the work site to respect you is hard enough without appearing completely out of touch with what the culture is.

In a client facing role you dress to their standard.

1 person likes this.
  7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

to some degree, I agree with you.

On the other hand, even an internet startup would be business casual if I ran it. I can't stand looking at schlumpy people in torn jeans and converse. Thats fine for the weekend, but you're a grown up and this is work.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I like good clothes (and style of course), and I like the idea of dress codes for particular events, but I don't like dress codes for everyday work. I don't like the corporate world, corporate ideology or corporate aesthetics. CBD done well can be beautiful, but overly authoritarian style norms are the route to lowest common denominator dressing. Where I work, if I want to wear a tailored suit, T-shirt and shorts, kimono, or Gaultier, I can wear it, and I like that. I'm glad I don't have to conform to someone else's idea of aesthetics for such a large proportion of my waking life.

So, I guess, if I had a company, it would have no dress code as such, but I would try to create an atmosphere of creativity, style and thought, that would encourage people to think about what they wore as part of their work and the development of their own personal aesthetic. That's all.

9. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

100% agreed. My parents own a well-known restaurant here and our internet guy has a small firm (5-6 employees) but always dresses business casual. When you interact with customers in the business world, you need to look professional.
    It all depends. In my field (aviation) the corporate world is dressed so. There are different roles and different departments who all have different dress. I personally would never wear a t-shirt because that isn't what I'm comfortable in at work. When I wear a suit, I feel confident in what I'm doing. Everyone is different.

10. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

no tie nor heavy wool suits(ecpet in the case of particular meeting or or events). Cloes allowed are dress shirt and pants with a decent shoes. I am not paying more on my energy bill for one to overdress.

11. gort

gort Senior member

I work in IT and we have casual and people push the boundaries way too far. I agree that IT work can be casual especially for the nerds you keep hidden who never see customers, but would add things like no shorts, no flip-flops, no tees, must maintain a certain level of hygiene, etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a collar on your shirt.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

For me it would depend on the industry, type of work, and role of the employee. I'm a dress up guy, and I'd want my employees to look professional, but I wouldn't necessarily require suit and tie on a daily basis.

13. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

14. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

LOL this is my world too.

Last month at a big conference, I noted that our director (who I see maybe once a year) was making an effort to dress the part. Nothing special, but a jacket and tie, which was enough to stand out in that room. Anyhow, that night about 40 of us decided to meet for dinner, and gathered in the lobby. In strolls some clown in a gold foil t-shirt and saggy jeans....I don't need to finish this story.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I think casual friday was the demise of the corp world. I was literally just talking about this with a friend this morning. Coat and tie M-Th. Fridays can be more casual without a tie, or with jeans and a button front shirt. but for the love of god. no underarmor polos. no sneakers. no baggy jeans. no t shirts.

:fu:

also, id have an onsite shoeshiner. and I also think an afternoon cocktail is in order. We're men for chrissakes. (well, kinda)

16. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I'd hire digmenow and make him wear black long sleeve polos with khakis.

2 people like this.
  17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I do have my own company, albeit a very small and therefore very non-corporate feeling one. It also must be said that it doesn't exactly take up a vast amount of my time so it's probably not what the OP is thinking about. Nonetheless, we have a few people we use regularly and have never had to give any more guidance than "smart and professional". Mostly, that means people turn up in anything from suit & tie to tie-less blazer. All are perfectly acceptable for what we do. No jacket at all would be stretching it (even though in the normal course of work, the jacket sometimes comes off) and actual casual wear would send out an unprofessional image for what we do.

It's horses for courses I think; dress reflects the kind of business you run and what effect you want to create on your clientele.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  18. NORE

NORE Senior member

Totally outlandish and over the top. No matter the profession. I want to send the message that you can't afford us, even if we're just schlepping bagels.

1 person likes this.
  19. Keough1206

Keough1206 Member

I like the idea of a very formal workplace, though I know this is totally unrealistic:

City suit w/ tie on Mon-Thurs
    Friday suit (playful textures, patch pockets, etc.) w/ tie on Fri
    Odd Jacket/Trousers w/o tie for any weekend work
    No heat in the winter -- wear your flannel

Oh and everyone staying after 6pm has to change into formal wear -- what are we farmers?

20. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

HAHAHA!!!