• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you naturally had an inverted triangle torso, would you get your shirts altered?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your lats should make it quite obvious without any exaggerated shirt alterations.

rs232

Reaction score
Or just buy OTR shirts that fit in the first place?

RyanM

Reaction score
^^this isn't an option for most people

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
If you naturally had an inverted triangle torso, would you deliberately get your shirts altered (assuming you buy OTR and not MTM or bespoke of course) to make it more obvious to members of the opposite sex that you had such a physique?
Which way is the triangle going? You mean like you naturally ate too much and got serioulsy overweight?

Taxler

Reaction score
If you're having trouble attracting the opposite sex, it's not because your shirt isn't tapered.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If I were less lazy, I'd deliberately get my shirts altered because OTR shirts almost always poof out around my waist. It has nothing to do with making things obvious to anyone and everything to do with excess fabric looking bad.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
According to several studies, women apparently find men with inverted triangular torsos most attractive (all other things being equal); if this is indeed the case, could this not be an added incentive (apart from comfort and appearance) to wear properly fitting clothes (particularly if you were lucky enough to have such a physique)?

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2007/03...atings-by.html

HAH? According to several studies women apparently find men with a big wallet most attractive. That's for sure. Who is bringing that torso thing on?

Concerning the shirt questions: if it doesn't fit, no hit! (ohh, me is so genius
smile.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guilty as charged (38 shoulder, 29 waist, going on 28). I have several of my shirts tapered by a tailor. If I would do it over, I would taper sport shirts or any shirts that I am likely to wear without a jacket. If I am going to be wearing a jacket over my shirt, I wouldn't bother. I would just use a military tuck and be done with it.

Eagle

Reaction score
I prefer a trim and tapered look and have had my shirts altered in the fashion described in the OP for almost 40 years, since just after I entered military service. Although I do have to admit that, given the effects of the passage of time, they don't have to be altered quite as much to achieve such a close fit.
wink.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If I were less lazy, I'd deliberately get my shirts altered because OTR shirts almost always poof out around my waist. It has nothing to do with making things obvious to anyone and everything to do with excess fabric looking bad.
I think what the OP is getting at is that if you have a V-shaped torso, you're going to have a lot more extra shirt fabric around your waist than the average man with a less athletic physique -- because that's the guy most OTR shirts are designed for.

Getting rid of the excess fabric definitely looks better because it's more streamlined, but it also has the added benefit of highlighting your masculine build, which gets female attention. Whether or not you're able to parlay that attention into actual dates, however, is another matter, one that depends on a great many additional factors.

I'd like to ask the OP, if I may, why he asked specifically about having a "naturally" inverted triangle? Was that intentional, Golf Nerd? Do you suspect that there's a difference between men who look that way naturally and those of us who have to work at it? It wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads