• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

If you naturally had an inverted triangle torso, would you get your shirts altered?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your lats should make it quite obvious without any exaggerated shirt alterations.

rs232

Reaction score
Or just buy OTR shirts that fit in the first place?

RyanM

Reaction score
^^this isn't an option for most people

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
If you naturally had an inverted triangle torso, would you deliberately get your shirts altered (assuming you buy OTR and not MTM or bespoke of course) to make it more obvious to members of the opposite sex that you had such a physique?
Which way is the triangle going? You mean like you naturally ate too much and got serioulsy overweight?

Taxler

Reaction score
If you're having trouble attracting the opposite sex, it's not because your shirt isn't tapered.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If I were less lazy, I'd deliberately get my shirts altered because OTR shirts almost always poof out around my waist. It has nothing to do with making things obvious to anyone and everything to do with excess fabric looking bad.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
According to several studies, women apparently find men with inverted triangular torsos most attractive (all other things being equal); if this is indeed the case, could this not be an added incentive (apart from comfort and appearance) to wear properly fitting clothes (particularly if you were lucky enough to have such a physique)?

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2007/03...atings-by.html

HAH? According to several studies women apparently find men with a big wallet most attractive. That's for sure. Who is bringing that torso thing on?

Concerning the shirt questions: if it doesn't fit, no hit! (ohh, me is so genius

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guilty as charged (38 shoulder, 29 waist, going on 28). I have several of my shirts tapered by a tailor. If I would do it over, I would taper sport shirts or any shirts that I am likely to wear without a jacket. If I am going to be wearing a jacket over my shirt, I wouldn't bother. I would just use a military tuck and be done with it.

Eagle

Reaction score
I prefer a trim and tapered look and have had my shirts altered in the fashion described in the OP for almost 40 years, since just after I entered military service. Although I do have to admit that, given the effects of the passage of time, they don't have to be altered quite as much to achieve such a close fit.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If I were less lazy, I'd deliberately get my shirts altered because OTR shirts almost always poof out around my waist. It has nothing to do with making things obvious to anyone and everything to do with excess fabric looking bad.
I think what the OP is getting at is that if you have a V-shaped torso, you're going to have a lot more extra shirt fabric around your waist than the average man with a less athletic physique -- because that's the guy most OTR shirts are designed for.

Getting rid of the excess fabric definitely looks better because it's more streamlined, but it also has the added benefit of highlighting your masculine build, which gets female attention. Whether or not you're able to parlay that attention into actual dates, however, is another matter, one that depends on a great many additional factors.

I'd like to ask the OP, if I may, why he asked specifically about having a "naturally" inverted triangle? Was that intentional, Golf Nerd? Do you suspect that there's a difference between men who look that way naturally and those of us who have to work at it? It wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40