• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you live in a big city.. $$$ Idea

tallguy1337

Reaction score
If one were to live in or near a big city, in which the city has many clothing stores that don't have online stores or retailers.. I wonder if:

you could take photos like crazy of the stores and thier clothes and run home, post the pictures on your website or on the forum, and take requests like crazy. Run back frequently shopping for the requests, then sending them to customers who just cant go to the stores (I live in Nowhere, Earth.). You could charge shipping (duh) and a fee for the work. It would even work better if you got a job at a store that doesnt retail online... Think of it.. you go there daily anyway...

Ideas?

Max

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of work for not that much money unless you live in one of the major retail districts.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens often, but most people already know what they want from reading it on Hypebeast, SuFu, or here. Given the slight fetish quality of some items (e.g. "limited edition" sneakers and Japanese denim), a lot of people will pay someone to buy an item for them. xcoldricex used to do this when he was in Japan.

Reaction score
i do believe darkanimal on sufu is doing a NYC buying service

he does uniqlo and h & m pickups, though i'm sure he can get anything you want...

it is a lot of work.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tallguy1337
If one were to live in or near a big city, in which the city has many clothing stores that don't have online stores or retailers.. I wonder if:

you could take photos like crazy of the stores and thier clothes and run home, post the pictures on your website or on the forum, and take requests like crazy. Run back frequently shopping for the requests, then sending them to customers who just cant go to the stores (I live in Nowhere, Earth.). You could charge shipping (duh) and a fee for the work. It would even work better if you got a job at a store that doesnt retail online... Think of it.. you go there daily anyway...

Ideas?

wellllllllllll I can see that you aren't going to be a business major...

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdeini
Well, this particular scheme might not have a good balance sheet, but this is generally a case of spatial arbitrage - always worth keeping an eye out for such business plans.

2000dB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdeini
You'd be surprised... I'm doing a service like that from Tokyo, you can view the details in the link in my signature.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe its called being a personal shopper.

People send you requests of what they want (exact brand and model or an idea of what they want with picture from a magazine or decent description) you go out pick them up from the particular store they request or one you believe will have it and you send it to them for a 10-25% fee (% of total, with $150 minimum purchase. Bigger fee for smaller purchase) including shipping fee too. Perhaps before shipping you send them pictures or descriptions of what you got with a scanned receipt, then they can make final approval.

It's not a bad idea. It will be alot of work, but one would be doing pickups for multiple people at a time and it certainly could be a full time or near full time venture. It would actually be a pretty good one for a [college] student with interests in fashion/shopping/style and in need of spending money (plus all their expenses in the process would be tax deductible)

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are still a lot of bad traders out there... you never know what customer will rip you off, or hurt your reputation by claiming that the goods were never received. The risk increases as you have to ship farther across the globe.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large cities, or NYC, anyway, have numerous 'concierge' services that will do many tasks for you, including these, I believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads