1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nmoraitis, Jan 23, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I had a 72 280 SEL with a 4.5 liter engine. A fun car in mint condition with only 12K miles in '94. But I felt like it cost me $500 each time I drove it. There was always some"little" thing going wrong that cost a lot to fix. It must have been one of the last years that had no seat belts in the rear and loads of real wood.
    Mine was a 1969 280SEL. It was from the W108 line, which was the last line that was hand-assembled by a specific team at the factory instead of the regular mass production on a conveyor belt. I particularly loved the oversized bakelite steering wheel, and the way the star emblem in the front was like a chrome gun-sight. I'd especially like to get the 300SEL 6.3, and the later '70s 450SEL 6.9. The 6.9 is best when the rear is only discreetly marked "6.9." Here is Brock Yates on the 6.9, which he drove on Road Atlanta: http://www.m-100.cc/6point9/brochure...tes/index.html

2. Homme

Homme Senior member

I had a 72 280 SEL with a 4.5 liter engine. A fun car in mint condition with only 12K miles in '94. But I felt like it cost me $500 each time I drove it. There was always some"little" thing going wrong that cost a lot to fix. It must have been one of the last years that had no seat belts in the rear and loads of real wood.

My cousin has one of these, dark green with a cream leather interior. Beautiful car. It's perfect for going for a drive on a summer night, with the windows down and the sun roof open. Don't think i could use it as a daily driver.

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I'll drive it for you.

It depends on your lifestyle how much your car needs to represent you. Personally I'd think better of a well dressed guy stepping out of a well-loved Bavaria with 175k miles on it than one stepping out of a brand new M5. The latter, I might think, was only representing money, while the former, signified taste and understatement.

Sorry, I've been brushing up on my Vaclavian.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons I want to replace my car (a '94 325is). Though I bought it on its merits (RWD, enough power, plenty of comfort, appealing (to me at the time) styling), I loathe its implications and associations. It looks dbagish and arriviste to most people, and with some years on it now, I look like a dated dbag instead of a dbag-au-courant (who would be in a leased '07).

Keep the 94 ( is a E36 right ? )

Those are great cars.

When I had the accident in wich my E36 cabrio got wrecked, I got me a BMW 320i E30 a 1988 model I got for $1500 while I was waiting that the insurance company cleared things and payed me back to get the new car.

It was the simplest model, the only option was the roof opening. It belonged to an older lady and was immaculate.

This was a great car, the feel of it ( pure mechanical and not computer controlled like the newer ones ), the classic look. I really liked it a lot. When I got the new car (a 320 Ci E46 cabrio ) I sold it for $1000 to an student that was indeed happy as a dog with two tails with it.

Then later on I regretted to have sold it. I feel good that is in good hands, but it is really hard to find an old model like this in that clean state.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think you should get something like this:

[​IMG]

5. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I think you should get something like this:

[​IMG]

That is a nice one, that is the E21 model from the 70's

The one I was talking about is that design, but the next generation though

a little less angular, but great cars indeed

[​IMG]

I am a BMW lover !

6. epa

epa Senior member

I don't mind spending on clothes but I really dislike cars in general. When I used to drive, I drove a crummy Kia that had trouble overtaking on the freeway. Now I just take whatever public transport is available to me or a cab. Or better yet, walk.

I also find nothing incongruous about being dressed well and driving a lackluster car. If it's a fuel-efficient type, I'm much more likely to be impressed as well. If it's a Hummer I will probably think about hitting you instead.

+1.
    Actually, I have not been driving for about 25 years, except once when my (then) boss was drunk and needed to get out of his car to have a piss while we were stuck in a traffic jam on the main street in town. I had to get the car off the main street so as to avoid drawing the attention of the police to the bad state of my boss.
    I would not mind having a nice car (BMW has some nice sport cars that are not too expensive), but at present I do not want to spend the money on that. I use public transport (subway, buses, taxis) to get around, and I am fully comfortable with that. I walk to my job (about 15 minutes from my home, and on the way home I pass the market and can buy some food for dinner, and I may step into one of the many bars that I pass on my way home and have a beer or a cocktail). And, really, I feel good about not contributing too much to the green house effect. In Spain we will really suffer hard from the global heating.

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

My car doesn't suit my clothes at all. I want something understated and less generic than my dented gold 95 Altima that was a gift 8 years ago. I think the two are exclusive of one another but they can compliment each other. I was surprised when my ex gf told me she'd never date someone who didn't have a car.

Once I have money a new used car is first on the list. Spend money on clothes though, because nobody ever sees your car when they first meet you.

8. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Senior member

I believe there are two types of consumers here: People who are trying to impress others and people who have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves. I consider myself in the latter category and would like to not be group with those in the former. I do enjoy nice clothing and I do enjoy nice cars. I purchase and use them for my enjoyment and pleasure. I enjoy the fine construction of a quality suit like I enjoy the lines and curves and interior accoutrements of "luxury" and exotic automobiles. I enjoy the feeling of sea island cotton against the skin as I enjoy the experience of paddle shifting a 445 BHP V8 through all six gears to 8.5k rpm. I hope that the fact that this is for ME and not others is expressed through my personality, my honesty and kindness. At the risk of unfairly generalizing, I would have to say that people who are in it to prove something to others have a rather abrasive personality (complete with arrogance and cockiness and forced-snobbishness). During this discussion I think it important to make the distinction between these two poles of luxury consumers. TBS, No I don't think you need a "nice" car if you have "nice" clothes. There are too many types of people and lifestyles to make such a broad and sweeping statement such as that.

I agree wholeheartedly with this; unfortunately, people are at liberty to judge as they wish, and due to marketing they are more familiar with $50,000 cars than, say, a $300 dress shirt. This is why I feel more comfortable and secure spending on clothes, as I feel an expensive car is more likely to attract negativity and hate. Even if I'm clearly buying a nice car for the simple pleasure I get from the drive or the styling, you have to put up with others who are too insecure to let a man enjoy his car. Instead of having to deal with it, I'd rather drive an ok car and wear clothes I love from brands nobody has heard of.

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

In my opinion, when I see someone in a suit getting in or out of a non-luxury car, first thing that pops into mind is : cheap insurance salesman/or encyclopedia salesman. When you have an expensive car/truck you can basically wear whatever you want, and it dont look bad. But when you have a cheap American car, wearing an expensive suit, you might as well be wearing a clown suit, because thats how your being viewed. Now, if you dont care what people think, thats great, more power to you. This may sound shallow, but Im entitled to my opinion, as you are to yours.
    In my opinion, when I read a post like this I think functionally illiterate teenager who has no life experience.

This thread pidals.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

What would you think of somebody getting out of this in a nice suit?

[​IMG]

Hmmmm...doesn`t look so SMART. Did he buy that dinky thing for efficiency? If so, why doesn`t he just take public transportation or a taxi.

Showing up in something like that is like showing up riding a pony in the old days [​IMG]

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

No, it looks like a dude in a suit getting out of a car.

For all those advocating vintage cars, consider that your image may be adversely affected by the rented Ford Taurus you will be driving half the time while some dude is wrenching on your ride for $120/hr [​IMG]

I appreciate stylish cars, but care much more about how they drive than how they look. And that they do drive, every time I turn the key.

12. epa

epa Senior member

Hmmmm...doesn`t look so SMART. Did he buy that dinky thing for efficiency? If so, why doesn`t he just take public transportation or a taxi.

Showing up in something like that is like showing up riding a pony in the old days [​IMG]

Curiously enough, SMART cars seem to be quite popular in Italy. Maybe Italians don't care about how they look?
    (OK, I admit, it may have something to to with traffic density...)

13. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Curiously enough, SMART cars seem to be quite popular in Italy. Maybe Italians don't care about how they look?

Italy also has a yearly tax based on engine size and the massiv Euro-zone gas prices to help fund the worker's paradise.

But, I agree that Italians probably like the design of the SMART.

14. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Yes, there seems to be a lot of them especially since parking is limited.

This is just my opinion, but a car like that could easily ruin a stylish suit.

16. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

It has to be because people, thank God, are becoming more aware of the dammage they are doing to the planet and chosing an small car for a crowded city.

This is what is SMART.

Granted, the SMART car is ugly, but the car builders are giving us more and more cool mini cars, like the Mini and now the Fiat 500 and others will come for sure.

17. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

This is just my opinion, but a car like that could easily ruin a stylish suit.

False, the Smart is as comfortable inside as any other car... it simply has only 2 seats, but they are comfy enough.

One of my friends is an elegant chic lady, and she arrives on a smart without any shame

18. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

When I lived in the US, I drove a Honda Accord. I could afford something much nicer, but I'm not really a "car person" yet at the same time I just wanted something non-descript that was practical, comfortable and said something like "we're not sure if this guy has money or not, but if he does, he's just not a car person".

Now that I live overseas, I don't own a car and get to work by bus, train, subway or just walking. Somehow I feel I am getting a lot more satisfaction out of my shoes and clothes now.

19. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

For me, luxury cars are more about interior features, comfort, and space than the way they look or drive. In particular, I like air-conditioned seats.

20. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I agree with you. The best dressed guy I know drives a two door smart car. I can't wait to be rid of my car, I never drive it.

I'm with that. If I didn't need a car, think of the furniture I could have afforded.