1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nmoraitis, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If he's in the 100,000 car also might help but if he's in the 10K car..hmmm
    You'd be surprised at what you can buy carwise for under $13k. With the quick depreciation that cars bring, you can get great deals . The following cars are used, but indeed very respectable, IMO. '01 A6 with low miles for an Audi http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...em290197821427 '05 Saab 9'3 Linear http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...em270203504642 '04 G35 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...em160199233225

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Oy! This thread is like a 20 car pileup on the interstate.

In my opinion, when I see someone in a suit getting in or out of a non-luxury car, first thing that pops into mind is : cheap insurance salesman/or encyclopedia salesman.

Let me get this straight: you equate nice clothes with cheap suits and insurance salesmen? [​IMG]

3. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Wisconsin??? The cheese state? In New York 200k gets you a house in the ghetto. In Wisconsin,Ohio and Michigan it gets a Villa

And this is a bad thing?

I lived in a refurbished 1920s era house in Little Chute, Wisconsin, between Appleton and Green Bay, that I bought for $134,500 (after the refurbishing), and that was featured on the HGTV program National Open House as one of the best houses in its price range in the entire country. Try that with $134,500 in Tribeca.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've no desire to own a car that was produced in the airbag era. My former car was a '60s Mercedes sedan, a bit of a boat in modern traffic: [​IMG] Now my car is a vintage Mercedes SL, which while not a boat uses gasoline like one. These sorts of cars are relatively inexpensive to buy, but maintenance--and sometimes gas use--is anything but economical.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Personally I've found it interesting that a man can be average in dress but drive a vintage Mercedes and look like a million bucks. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

If I ever get in the poor house I'm going to buy a used Mercedes.

You can do it with most well kept older high end cars. For less than $8K you can buy an older Benz, BMW, or Lexus for weekends and evenings. For another $2-3K you can get a used honda or toyota for daily errands. I live in Indianapolis, a city with poor public transportation. You must have at least one car. Do a search for Benz, BMW, and Lexus on cars.com for cars less than $8K. There are some nice cars out there. Some guys pay more than that for a couple of suits and a pair of shoes.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I dress very well and, when salt is on the road, drive the rattiest car on SF (think pre-1980 boat, with rust).

Yes, it does look incongruous, but people who know me aren't surprised. The boat costs me nothing but gas (and gas is cheaper than any car payment). I put that money into the bank, half for savings and half for my new car. Works for me.

~ Huntsman

7. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

A nice car and a good chauffeur!

8. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

I believe there are two types of consumers here: People who are trying to impress others and people who have nothing to prove to anyone but themselves. I consider myself in the latter category and would like to not be group with those in the former. I do enjoy nice clothing and I do enjoy nice cars. I purchase and use them for my enjoyment and pleasure. I enjoy the fine construction of a quality suit like I enjoy the lines and curves and interior accoutrements of "luxury" and exotic automobiles. I enjoy the feeling of sea island cotton against the skin as I enjoy the experience of paddle shifting a 445 BHP V8 through all six gears to 8.5k rpm. I hope that the fact that this is for ME and not others is expressed through my personality, my honesty and kindness. At the risk of unfairly generalizing, I would have to say that people who are in it to prove something to others have a rather abrasive personality (complete with arrogance and cockiness and forced-snobbishness). During this discussion I think it important to make the distinction between these two poles of luxury consumers. TBS, No I don't think you need a "nice" car if you have "nice" clothes. There are too many types of people and lifestyles to make such a broad and sweeping statement such as that.

9. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

For me, a fine car is it's own reward, but I like cars a lot. I'm not sure I care about the balance of one's car and dress; juxtaposition can be far more interesting, even though I'm sure I'll likely end up one of those guys in nice suit in a German sports car. In any event, I'll pursue driving fine sports cars in my lifetime because of their own virtues regardless of what anyone else thinks of me for it. I was disappointed to see J mildly ashamed of his BMW, despite the fact that he likes the car otherwise. I myself drive an '02 3-Series (that I acquired used), perhaps a douchebag indicator in some circles, but to me the enjoyment of driving the car is worth whatever negative perception it may court. Were I to have sought after the car as a status symbol, I would be one of those guys, but I just love it because it's a fantastic machine. In any event, it still places me below the median of car value in my area, so it's not really doing a lot for my profile. I blend in much more in it than I would in a many a typically less prestigious make.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One of the cars I'd most like to get is a Lancia Flaminia.

11. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^ Great car! I like cars, especially older and vintage models.

13. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

is this similar to asking, if i'm really really ridiculously good looking, do i need a brain?

14. Dolle Dolf

Dolle Dolf Well-Known Member

I like to wear this [​IMG] with something nice Nice cars have never been more attainable. This is a 10 year old Jag that I payed a little over $7k for. Full service history and all that, 178k miles on the clock, still looks and runs great, and always makes a good impression. secretly lusting after a maserati quattroporte, but agree with others that it just does not make sense splashing for a depreciating assett prior to having the essentials covered. Then again, the maserati coupe has been depreciating like the proverbial brick and these are coming in firmer and firmer view..... don't think that certain types of cars combine well with certain clothes. Would feel a bit funny wearing a cutoff T and a baseball cap in the Jag, then again, if I owned a corvette that would be the outfit of choice. I would wear an old T shirt and denim in a Ferrari 308-430, but not in a 456, 550 or scaglietti. Let alone wear a suit with a pickup truck.

15. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

^^^That's a great car, but at 178K it's kind of a ticking maintenance time bomb. But I'm sure you knew that.

16. Coho

Coho Senior member

Ha ha. Ha ha.

17. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

With nice clothes you just need a clean and neat car. Something with simple style, not boring and it doesn't need to be flashy. My wife, who dresses very well, has always been a fan of VW GTIs. They are cool and sporty but anything but pretentious. YSL used to drive a VW bug convertible. Nice cars yes, fancy or expensive, No.

18. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

My former car was a '60s Mercedes sedan, a bit of a boat in modern traffic:

These sorts of cars are relatively inexpensive to buy, but maintenance--and sometimes gas use--is anything but economical.

I had a 72 280 SEL with a 4.5 liter engine. A fun car in mint condition with only 12K miles in '94. But I felt like it cost me $500 each time I drove it. There was always some"little" thing going wrong that cost a lot to fix. It must have been one of the last years that had no seat belts in the rear and loads of real wood.

19. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I don't find it incongrous to dress with care and drive a beater. I try, often without success, to choose clothing that make me less physically repellant. I am not hoping that my clothes will convey, to receptive masses, the obvious message that I am powerful, successful, rich and the proud sire of a delicately honed aethetic sensibility. I find, sadly, that my vehicle does little to minimize or enhance my physical repugnance unless I am attempting to impress upon the staff of the Whataburger drive-in that I am a man cognizant of the Finer Things.

However, instead of a license plate, I hang a framed copy of my (rather expensive) law school diploma from my bumper. But this is purely in the interest of discouraging scallywags.

(Despite my attempts to resist the fetishizing of imbecilic cars, I would not turn my nose at late 60s Mopar.)

20. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't mind spending on clothes but I really dislike cars in general. When I used to drive, I drove a crummy Kia that had trouble overtaking on the freeway. Now I just take whatever public transport is available to me or a cab. Or better yet, walk.

I also find nothing incongruous about being dressed well and driving a lackluster car. If it's a fuel-efficient type, I'm much more likely to be impressed as well. If it's a Hummer I will probably think about hitting you instead.