• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had Bill Gates' and Micheal Dell's money for a month...

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Combine the two total of money.... 78..6 billion as of 2006.

What would you buy if you had 78.6 billion for a month? (Clothing Related; and what country would you get it from).

Just Clothes.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thomas Mahon bespoke suits and shirts, any good quality bespoke shoes and ties.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Savile Row really does need all the help it can get nowadays.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would look somewhere more stylish than England for my tailoring.

Why the Mahon shirts? People seem to be so interested in them, but they sound very iffy to me. His suits look nice, but I would definitely head south.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd probably first go to Savile Row and decide which firm has the perfect silhouette for SB suits. From A&S, I'd order 5 or 6 DB suits since I've come to like their cut. I also like Henry Poole, so I'd probably get some good tweeds from them.

Next it's off to Napoli...where I'd essentially enslave Caraceni and have them make me a plethora of natural-shouldered wonders.

Then, commission fifty pairs of shoes from Gaziano & Girling. Then I'd raid the Nicky Milano factory...maybe purchase it, and keep them as my personal neckwear manufacturer.

I oculd keep going, but these ideas are just making me depressed that I don't have billions.
frown.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200 bespoke suits from a number of different makers, including A&S, Huntsman, and Attollini. Also, smoking jackets, black tie, white tie, and morning dress.

200 odd trousers in every style and color possible

150 odd jackets in every style and color possible

200 bespoke shoes from John Lobb in every conceivable style and color

30 bespoke overcoats in every conceivable style/color/fabric.

300 bespoke shirts from whomsoever I decided on

Cashmere and vicuna scarves in every color

Bespoke leather goods of every kind

Cases full of ties, pocket squares and other accessories

Original suits owned by style icons like Astaire to be displayed on manequins in a 4,000 sq ft. closet

Everything else I haven't thought of

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a little too old, for this . . . but I'd have Armani make me a custom fitted wardrobe, emphasis on cashmere. I love to stand for fittings. One of my favorite of all experiences, in life. Also, I'd hunt down all the Saint Laurent Haute Couture and Rive Gauche that I could find, to add to my sister's collection. I'm talking vintage, of course . . . pre Tom Ford, Albert Elbaz, and Stefano Pilati.

00112.jpg

photo: the towering genius of Yves Saint Laurent

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd open a men's shop in London stocking the finest in men's clothing and accoutrements. Everything from Filson luggage to cigars and handmade pipes to Brioni suits to Borrelli shirts. I'd also buy Cheshire clothing and see if I couldn't resurect Chester Berrie, as a source of English-cut suits, with a heavy dash of country tweed three pieces.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ivan, you should also source out some YSL for Dior, Trapeze Collection 1958.

If I had that amount of money, I would make Louis XIV look modest.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Label king . . . you are correct! That was a quirky collection, because Saint Laurent had not yet begun to tap into his vast resources of style, cut, silhouette, or COLOR. Still, the collection was an enormous success.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Label king . . . you are correct! That was a quirky collection, because Saint Laurent had not yet begun to tap into his vast resources of style, cut, silhouette, or COLOR. Still, the collection was an enormous success.
I especially liked his initial '60s collections with the alligator skin trousers, and boots. Of course, le Smoking, and the Mondrian, etc. collection. The interesting thing is that Dior ousted him after his collections for Dior, and replaced him with Marc Bohan because they felt he was too "modern". And now they have Galliano!

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yves Saint Laurent is a genius. His designs at the time, were deemed too avant-garde for the Dior clientele. By avant-garde, we're talking turtle neck, under a suit jacket. Forget the crocodile vests and the boots. He was ahead of his time; thankfully YSL was able to go out on his own. Did you know that Pierre Berge and YSL, met at Dior's funeral?

Much as I love YSL couture . . . his rive gauche holds a special place in my heart, not just because my sister wore it for more than 25 years, but because the rive gauche line often went further than the couture, in terms of thought and experimentation. And to get back, to this particular thread's purpose . . . I'd hunt down each and every Saint Laurent coat for women, that I could procure. They were my favorites.
00044.jpg

8f81scd.jpg

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom made Brioni and Kiton vicuna overcoats with sable lining, plus cashmere suits, 180s wool suits and sportscoat, shirts of cotton, linen, silk and wool. Kiton shoes in various styles and leathers. John Lobb Paris bespoke shoes. Shearling coats and jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads