If you had Bill Gates' and Micheal Dell's money for a month...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris "Italia", Aug 19, 2006.

1. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

Combine the two total of money.... 78..6 billion as of 2006.

What would you buy if you had 78.6 billion for a month? (Clothing Related; and what country would you get it from).

Just Clothes.

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Thomas Mahon bespoke suits and shirts, any good quality bespoke shoes and ties.

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'd single-handedly prop up the entire British bespoke clothing industry.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Savile Row really does need all the help it can get nowadays.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I would look somewhere more stylish than England for my tailoring.

Why the Mahon shirts? People seem to be so interested in them, but they sound very iffy to me. His suits look nice, but I would definitely head south.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'd probably first go to Savile Row and decide which firm has the perfect silhouette for SB suits. From A&S, I'd order 5 or 6 DB suits since I've come to like their cut. I also like Henry Poole, so I'd probably get some good tweeds from them.

Next it's off to Napoli...where I'd essentially enslave Caraceni and have them make me a plethora of natural-shouldered wonders.

Then, commission fifty pairs of shoes from Gaziano & Girling. Then I'd raid the Nicky Milano factory...maybe purchase it, and keep them as my personal neckwear manufacturer.

I oculd keep going, but these ideas are just making me depressed that I don't have billions. [​IMG]

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

200 bespoke suits from a number of different makers, including A&S, Huntsman, and Attollini. Also, smoking jackets, black tie, white tie, and morning dress.

200 odd trousers in every style and color possible

150 odd jackets in every style and color possible

200 bespoke shoes from John Lobb in every conceivable style and color

30 bespoke overcoats in every conceivable style/color/fabric.

300 bespoke shirts from whomsoever I decided on

Cashmere and vicuna scarves in every color

Bespoke leather goods of every kind

Cases full of ties, pocket squares and other accessories

Original suits owned by style icons like Astaire to be displayed on manequins in a 4,000 sq ft. closet

Everything else I haven't thought of

8. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I'm getting a little too old, for this . . . but I'd have Armani make me a custom fitted wardrobe, emphasis on cashmere. I love to stand for fittings. One of my favorite of all experiences, in life. Also, I'd hunt down all the Saint Laurent Haute Couture and Rive Gauche that I could find, to add to my sister's collection. I'm talking vintage, of course . . . pre Tom Ford, Albert Elbaz, and Stefano Pilati.

[​IMG]

photo: the towering genius of Yves Saint Laurent

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

10. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I'd open a men's shop in London stocking the finest in men's clothing and accoutrements. Everything from Filson luggage to cigars and handmade pipes to Brioni suits to Borrelli shirts. I'd also buy Cheshire clothing and see if I couldn't resurect Chester Berrie, as a source of English-cut suits, with a heavy dash of country tweed three pieces.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Ivan, you should also source out some YSL for Dior, Trapeze Collection 1958.

If I had that amount of money, I would make Louis XIV look modest.

12. Ivan Kipling

Label king . . . you are correct! That was a quirky collection, because Saint Laurent had not yet begun to tap into his vast resources of style, cut, silhouette, or COLOR. Still, the collection was an enormous success.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Label king . . . you are correct! That was a quirky collection, because Saint Laurent had not yet begun to tap into his vast resources of style, cut, silhouette, or COLOR. Still, the collection was an enormous success.
    I especially liked his initial '60s collections with the alligator skin trousers, and boots. Of course, le Smoking, and the Mondrian, etc. collection. The interesting thing is that Dior ousted him after his collections for Dior, and replaced him with Marc Bohan because they felt he was too "modern". And now they have Galliano!

14. Ivan Kipling

Yves Saint Laurent is a genius. His designs at the time, were deemed too avant-garde for the Dior clientele. By avant-garde, we're talking turtle neck, under a suit jacket. Forget the crocodile vests and the boots. He was ahead of his time; thankfully YSL was able to go out on his own. Did you know that Pierre Berge and YSL, met at Dior's funeral?

Much as I love YSL couture . . . his rive gauche holds a special place in my heart, not just because my sister wore it for more than 25 years, but because the rive gauche line often went further than the couture, in terms of thought and experimentation. And to get back, to this particular thread's purpose . . . I'd hunt down each and every Saint Laurent coat for women, that I could procure. They were my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Custom made Brioni and Kiton vicuna overcoats with sable lining, plus cashmere suits, 180s wool suits and sportscoat, shirts of cotton, linen, silk and wool. Kiton shoes in various styles and leathers. John Lobb Paris bespoke shoes. Shearling coats and jackets.