1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you had a choice...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jorge18, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dkoernert

dkoernert Active Member

Read through the thrift store bragging thread. Its a pretty good guide of what to look for.

2. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

Can you tell I'm from Chicago with the Macy's hate? (see: Marshall Field's)
    [​IMG]

Then don't buy 10 shirts. Buy three or four and continue living with the ones you've already got until you can afford more. You're just throwing money away.
    Amen

Now that I haven't though of. But being the noob that I am, how the hell am I supposed to tell what's good, from what's just garbage?
    You need to read more. patience patience ....How much is your budget?

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Use this link:

http://www.ctshirts.com/josh

Shirts are only $39.50 - add 2 of them to your cart. When you get to the checkout screen, enter 'thanks' into the promotion code box for an additional $20 off. Including shipping, 2 shirts will cost you less than $35 each. If $35 per shirt is still too expensive for you, then there is no hope.

4. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Then don't buy 10 shirts. Buy three or four and continue living with the ones you've already got until you can afford more. You're just throwing money away.

Like this. Buy a few white and blue shirts to start. No one will even notice.

^ CT seems like a good start.

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

6. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

Just to add that the "thanks" code is expired, but "stca" works well and shaves $20 off the total.

7. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Senior member

Five shirts should be enough to start. Get a good fit, buy on sale if possible, keep them clean and ironed, and you'll look fine.

8. Beatlegeuse

9. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

10. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

Unfortunately, in my price range, it seems those are my only choices. I'm going to go by the BB outlet and see what I find.
    Unless you go the thrift route, I'd suggest buying one of each of these brands, and seeing which one fits you better and seems of better material/construction when you have them in your hands. Then you will know which is "your" brand and which isn't.

Five shirts should be enough to start. Get a good fit, buy on sale if possible, keep them clean and ironed, and you'll look fine.

Yes, five shirts will do you for the work-week, and you can launder them on the weekend. Maybe if you cut it down to five shirts, you can bump up your pricerange a bit to CT &c ... and if you don't you only have 5 cheap shirts to regret later if you get addicted here. [​IMG]

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

You might also consider Costco (if you're already a member) or Lands End as resources for low priced dress shirts.

12. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

You might also consider Costco (if you're already a member) or Lands End as resources for low priced dress shirts.

Costco "generously cut for comfort" shirts? The other day, I opened one just out if curiosity. I could cut two shirts with the material. Definitely sail ship sized.

13. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

how fitted is the slim vs tailored ct shirts?

OP, what's your title at the bank? a lot of the guys here dress like crap anyway. if you're just a teller or personal banker, you don't have to try too hard.

14. Beatlegeuse

^ Slim fits from CT are not all that slim. If you want something more fitted, go for the tailored fit. They have a full set of measurements for each fit on their website.

15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The shirts I wanted come with a 37" sleeve length. Since 37" is too long for me (and too long for most men), I'd wind up paying an extra $11.95 per shirt for sleeve tailoring.

So $39.50/shirt + $11.95 sleeve tailoring/shirt + $14.95 shipping/order = $117.85 for 2 shirts. Knock off $20 with a promotional code, and it works out to just under $49 per shirt.

Still not a terrible deal, but not as nice as $35/each.
    --
    Michael

16. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Well, someone bit on the deal, anyway. I just got 3 tailored-fit shirts for just over $100 shipped. Got some 15" and some 15.5" to see which works better.

17. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

18. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

You must have a weird neck or something. I am a 15.5/33 and it comes out to something like 35 a shirt. Really thinking about buying two.