• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had 500k, what business would you start ?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No. "She" will own the liquor store.
It'll end up mine after her heart condition does its work.

Your business/life strategic planning never ceases to impress me DR.
smile.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
CoCo Curry?

A strictly Japanese curry spot open till 5am from Thurs-Sun would kill in NYC, IMO. Unless it already exists at which point someone needs to school me.

So few places in America can make a decent curry rice. The base itself is not hard, nor are the customizations, but few grasp how a good curry rice is made, and so you end up seeing yellow starch-thickened glop on very measly chicken katsu. The art of curry rice is not a difficult one, but it is not given away so easily.

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BCPilotguy
I'd buy a Tim Horton's frachise in Canada. Incidentally you need 500k to start one. They are a licence to print money up here.
No, I want a damn Tim Horton's in Virginia! There are none, and every time I go to Yankee land I have to go there! I'd open a Chipotle, the mean gross revenue for one yearly is 2,000,000USD With the other $250,000 I'd start a new fishing reel company.

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmd06
I'd probably franchise a McDonalds or similar fast food near a university.

Starbucks is where it's at, near a med school, those med students are up till dawn.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chipotle doesn't franchise, and McDonald's requires over a million dollars to start.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Starbucks is where it's at, near a med school, those med students are up till dawn.

Sbucks doesn't franchise however. A fancy independent coffee shop potentially but it depends on the city.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Open a small gym with squat racks, benches, olympic lifting stands, DB's, mat space for wrestling/jiu-jitsu, a couple banana bags and a heavy bag.

...Then I'll turn it into a place for casual gay sex.

so another typical crossfit gym?

henrikc

Reaction score
There's at least one company doing this, but I think this is an amazing idea:

You know how most waterworks have to use valves to control the water pressure, right? Obviously they can't send it out at full speed, so they use valves to reduce it before delivering it to the consumers. A lot of kinetic energy in the water is wasted doing this, so the idea is that you add a turbine that will take the excess energy and turn it into electric energy.
According to an article I read there's about 40 000 water companies in the US, each with everything from 0 to 100 pressure valves each. Imagine replacing all those valves with these turbines.

The company already doing this is called Zeropex, so perhaps it would be a better idea to just invest in some stocks there.

wetnose

Reaction score
With $500K, look at different affluent college towns and basically analyze what's missing out of the whole fast food mix: maybe they need a salad bar? Or perhaps a chinese takeout? Talk to the people on campus and find out what they'd pay for ... then pursue it. Get a good location on campus with lots of food traffic and you have a good captive audience. Kids with money are likely to spend it.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the ice-cream idea? I am very tempted to look into it, any idea how much initial capital you would need? A very modest estimate? I am talking about a small space within a mall or something with a refrigerator and variety of ice creams in the buckets. Perhaps different pastries and soft drinks later on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads