1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you had $250 to spend on a watch...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by boxdiver, May 17, 2010.

1. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

Well i havent used my seiko skx007 abecause I am waiting for a strap so I have it just on my desk.

Ive noticed after a couple of hours or even within an hour the watch just stops moving,

Whats with that? I thought these watches are supposed to have a 40 hour power reserve or something. You know for when you sleep. and this is with me just fiddling with the watch in my hand fo a couple of minutes every now and then during the day.

Can this watch be wound up or anything?

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Wind it manually about 40-45 times clockwise and that should give it a full power, if it stops working after a few hours then you might want to get it calibrated or checked. Swinging it around or shaking doesn't really work as well and can just damage the watch.

3. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

Yeah, I don't think I know of any automatic watch that cannot be manually wound using the crown.

"Other companies like Seiko and Orient developed highly efficient self-winding mechanisms that allowed their watches to be designed without a wind up feature. In some self-winding mechanisms, the rotor and winding system is less efficient and it would require the owner to move the watch back and forth for several minutes before it will start and hold enough energy to run for more than a couple of minutes. That's why on some brands the ability to wind up the watch manually has been retained."

Source:
    http://www.selfdefensearmory.com/aboutautomatics.html

4. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

So what's the deal with that black on black easy reader? I still can't find it anywhere

5. centrix

centrix Senior member

Are there pictures somewhere? Can't seem to find them....

yeah it isnt out yet but its about 700 or so

6. ProperHill

ProperHill Member

Just got a seiko skx007

Is it supposed to have a rattley sound when you shake it up a bit near the ear

Also how often should I be shaking up the watch to keep it running? (I am waiting for a strap to come in and its only the watch piece that I have now)

The rattling sound is the rotor spinning just wear the watch for a whole day to wind it...the watch winds by the movements of your wrist.Remember not to set the time from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.

7. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

The rattling sound is the rotor spinning just wear the watch for a whole day to wind it...the watch winds by the movements of your wrist.Remember not to set the time from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.

What are you supposed to do if it dies in between those times?

8. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

SO how long is a Seiko 007 supposed to run for if not worn

Also I am pretty sure I read somewhere that these Seikos dont have a wind up feature

9. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

Remember not to set the DATE from 9pm to 3am it'll mess up the watch.
    FTFY
    What are you supposed to do if it dies in between those times?
    Advance the time outside 9pm to 3am, then set the date. Then set the time. You can determine wheter the time is AM (midnight) or PM (noon) by manually advancing the time past 12:00. If the date rolls over to the next day, then the watch is in AM. If not, the watch is in PM.

10. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

Yeah, I don't think I know of any automatic watch that cannot be manually wound using the crown.
    Seiko 5's and watches that use their movement (e.g. Seiko Monster dive watches) can not be wound through the crown. They wind by shaking/moving only. I use to own both a Seiko 5 and an Orange Monster.
    ...That's why on some brands the ability to wind up the watch manually has been retained."
    Source:
    http://www.selfdefensearmory.com/aboutautomatics.html

Some? I would say that the vast majority of automatic watches can be manually wound through the crown as well as shaking/moving.

11. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

I picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster on eBay for around $250. Endless eBay options in that price range if you are willing to go second hand.

12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

I picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster on eBay for around $250. Endless eBay options in that price range if you are willing to go second hand.

how do you know it's real?

13. Suave

Suave Senior member

tissot or omega

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i would save up 250 more and troll the watch forums for a stowa artea

15. WoodyStylee

WoodyStylee Senior member

Says 'Omega' on the inner mechanical components (the guts). It was a couple years ago, but i did a bit of research finding out what to look for to make sure its authentic. I wasn't brand new, definitely has been pre-loved.

16. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Lots of research. Learning the Omega authentifiers shouldn't be too hard since there's so many enthusiasts out there. If you have more time for it sign up on a watch forum and ask them or make friends with one of the Omega fan members and ask them if you want to keep the piece you're looking at on the down low

Alternatively, look for guarantees of authenticity or paperwork included in the auction and if it's determine to be fake and you can gather proof, you can recover your money from eBay/paypal/the cc company

17. ProperHill

ProperHill Member

SO how long is a Seiko 007 supposed to run for if not worn

Also I am pretty sure I read somewhere that these Seikos dont have a wind up feature

I have Seiko skx009,skx007,Black Monster,and Orange Monster.The watch stops ticking 2 days after being worn so I think the power reserve would be around 48 hours.

18. ProperHill

ProperHill Member

FTFY

Advance the time outside 9pm to 3am, then set the date. Then set the time. You can determine wheter the time is AM (midnight) or PM (noon) by manually advancing the time past 12:00. If the date rolls over to the next day, then the watch is in AM. If not, the watch is in PM.

Thank you for the correction,all along I've always thought it was the time.

19. Vaitek

Vaitek Senior member

FTFY

This is why I don't get watche with the date on them. Hah!