• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If You Dress the Part, Act It.

VictorJB

Reaction score
This is something that I posted on my blog today and I thought I would share it because any man could use these few tips. Please leave feedback and criticism because I need to improve on everything I post because thats what I aspire to be. VictorJBehar.com for more information ...

Disclaimer: Remember I do not make you read my blog, you the user click on it yourself and make yourself read it lol. I am not preaching or saying you need to act like this but I am just reporting what I see on a day-to-day basis and giving helpful suggesting and tips to better yourself as a man in this rude world we live in.

As many of you already know I am a proud and active alumni member of Pi Kappa Alpha. What does this have to do with fashion or fashion tips and info? Nothing really, it is important because of the process we go through in order to become brothers. We were raised into the Greek community to be nothing less than true Gentlemen. With that said, I can segway into what this post is going to be about, if you are dressed like a sophisticated member of this society you should act like a gentlemen, not to say you shouldn't be one when not dressed nicely.

The past two days I had off from work and I have been doing a lot of job hunting, fashion research, and shopping in New York City. This is not a city to be judging people on there mannerisms and how polite people are on a daily basis. But, the people of my generation are slowly starting to become the generation that is running the business world, running the art industry, the entertainment industry, and any other try of industry. These are all well respected jobs and they all ask for oneself to carry themselves in a certain manner everyday, an appropriate one.

1) When in the work place DO NOT be loud unless your job calls for it. If you are in an office setting there is no reason to have your conversation at a high decibel. If you want to get your boss to turn his head and notice you, do an amazing job performance for a month and see how much further that gets you than being that loud obnoxious guy that everyone talks to, but talks badly about once they leave.

2) Like they have taught us all throughout college, know your audience when talking. When you are in the office and talking with coworkers and your boss please use proper english. People of my generation have many slang words that we use every day and do not notice that these words are embedded into our vocabulary. There is nothing wrong with this, because like myself, I am bi-polar with the way I talk. If you see me at work, I will never curse nor use a slang word EVER. But when I am with my brothers and friends I have a foul mouth and I speak like any other recent college graduate, eloquent with modern slang

3) For all my communication majors out there this one will hit home with all of you. Non-verbal cues are HUGE, if you did not know, 93% of all communication is non verbal believe it or not. So when you are at work and you think you are not being noticed this is probably the time when people are staring and observing the most (we all love people watching). Remember, always be confident with your body posture and the way you are sitting or standing, this sends the message that you comfortable in the situation and you can not be caught off guard. DO NOT SLOUCH, stand and sit up straight, power is everything in the work force and if you are a sloucher this reflects poorly on you because it sends the message you are lazy and not a person of authority. Non verbal cues is the main reason we preach DRESS SHARP EVERYDAY. Remember a little rule of thumb, dress for the job you want not the one you have that will get you along way.

4) I know this is common sense but I just had to say it so people do not email me saying I never mentioned it, hygiene. Please, no one wants to sit next to someone who smells like last Thursdays dinner on a Monday morning. Wash yourself and your hair daily, I fell for the marketing of Axe products but I always smell good at least. If wearing cologne please remember the only people who should smell your cologne are the people really close to your neck. Have some respect, not all the people on the 6th floor decided to wear Gucci Envy that day, it was your decision.

5) I Always save the best for last and honestly this should have been first on the list; respect your elders, less fortunate people, and ALL women (not just the ones that look like models and are filled with no substance). This is very important because if you do not respect the older generations you will be at a great loss of opportunities and insightful knowledge to gain. Remember, wisdom is one of the greatest things anyone can posses in this world and the elders have tons of it. If you are respectful towards them they might just open up and bless you with some of the knowledge they have gained over the many years they have been on this earth. Always offer them a seat if they are standing and you are sitting on the bus and hold the doors for them when entering a store. Small things like this will get you very far in life.
My philosophy in life is to help the people behind us. As you and I are trying to climb the successful corporate ladder do not forget the people who were not granted the same opportunities that you and I were granted. By donating money or your time these are ways to give back and help the less fortunate become fortunate. All in all, there is nothing more rewarding than the feeling of helping someone and making a difference in their life.
Finally, respect women, need I say more? No one will ever want to start a family or marriage with a total asshole. Just because the girl walking behind you into the store does not look like Angelina Jolie doesn't mean you shouldn't hold the door for her. So remember treat ALL women with respect regardless if they are your girlfriend or not, you never know whom you are speaking with. For all you know it could be your boss's daughter who you will be reintroduced to next week at the dinner he invited you to.

These are little things I noticed people were not doing the past 2 days when I was wondering around NYC. I thought I would share this with all my fellow friends and readers so they can remember everyday to do these small things in order to make their lives more meaningful

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non-verbal cues are HUGE, if you did not know, 93% of all communication is non verbal believe it or not.
I do not believe this bit of conventional wisdom.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From your blog -

4) The pockets. Most of the pockets in the front of a suit are sewn shut. Keep it that way, do not open the front pockets because it is only natural of the human behavior to stick tons of things in them. This is a big no-no because it ruins the silhouette the suit forms on your body when properly fitted.
Seriously?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You sound like a bore, bro.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Alpha ++

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6) Ball Sweat is frowned upon in most civilized areas of the world. The Scots conquered the malady through the use of kilts. Wearing a kilt to the office with a sports coat and matching colored shoes is a winning combination, no longer limited to casual Fridays. Finally, a light dusting of Gold Bond Powder to one's nutsack before leaving home for the corporate world is a gesture that truly separates a man from a gentleman.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
96% of communication is anal

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I dress like a pretentious ass so it's a good fit for how I act.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
6) Ball Sweat is frowned upon in most civilized areas of the world. The Scots conquered the malady through the use of kilts. Wearing a kilt to the office with a sports coat and matching colored shoes is a winning combination, no longer limited to casual Fridays. Finally, a light dusting of Gold Bond Powder to one's nutsack before leaving home for the corporate world is a gesture that truly separates a man from a gentleman.

Just FYI, when I wear my kilt, I exhibit super Alpha + tendencies. True story. Chics will actually ask to see *********.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your brother Ike should make like his namesake and bitchslap you around a bit.

TheButler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorJB
93% of all communication is non verbal believe it or not.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I do not believe this bit of conventional wisdom.

78% of all statistics are just made up.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
VJB, welcome to ignore. It is one thing to be full of oneself, quite another to be so verbose about it.

VictorJB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
From your blog -

Seriously?

In my opinion yes. Why dont you keep your cell phone and ipod in the inside pocket of your jacket? It is a lot more comfortable and your pants fit better with out having a clunky cellphone and ipod in them.

VictorJB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
VJB, welcome to ignore. It is one thing to be full of oneself, quite another to be so verbose about it.

I dont understand how you see it that way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads