• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bha, only you can tell what you need. The idea of this list is that you can always have what you need for pretty much any circumstance that requires classic menswear. Lacking something isn't meant to suggest you don't dress well, just that there are certain things your wardrobe can't do. Also keep in mind this is a classic menswear list so denim wouldn't come into play here.

Mid grey flannels are key IMO for events that require a jacket and tie or even just a jacket but where a suit would be too much. You can wear denim with an odd jacket, but it does not have the same formality.

I'm surprised you think tweet does not work on you; would be curious to hear more on this.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Shpirt, button down collars are on the list for times one is not wearing a tie. I think it is largely an American thing. I don't care for them either and think a moderate spread collar looks fine without a tie.

Shpirt

Reaction score
@Shpirt , button down collars are on the list for times one is not wearing a tie. I think it is largely an American thing. I don't care for them either and think a moderate spread collar looks fine without a tie.
OK thank you - I thought I was missing something. I agree on the moderate spread collar too.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw this and remembered it from the first time around… I'll take a swing

- a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold: 3 worsted 150s, hopsack, and linen with patch pockets
-mid gray flannel pants: 3 pair, plus a pair of slightly lighter gray flannel jeans (surprisingly versatile!) and a pair in dark charcoal
-decent, non-chino khakis: Yep, pile of incotexes in varying weights and shades of tan
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket: Couple in brown,one in tan cashmere, plus two in different shades of gray
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit Bunch of these in solids (dark, mid and light for summer), plus a range of ones with stripes (pin, chalk, track)
-a navy worsted single breasted suit: Yeah, one solid navy and a few in pins and chalks
-a white FC shirt: Couple of these in Royal Oxford, plus a few light blue ones. Used to wear FCs a lot more than I do these days.
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD: A pile of these in varying shades and materials and one BD. Not that big of a BD guy these days even though I grew up in them at prep school
-black stitch caps: Absolutely. Don't wear black shoes that often, but these are "a mandatory"
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you): Bunch of these: straight cap, perforated cap, stitch cap in shades that range from dark to mid-brown, but I generally prefer suede…
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell: 2 in suede (different shades)
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine: Yep, knit square end, knit pointed end, grenadine, wool, and satin
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine: Both plus a pile of variations like the black version
-a plain white linen hanky: Yeah… sort of falls in the Black Captoe category

For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) Not right now. I've had 4-5 in the past, but DBs can be tricky. Been considering another in one of these two fabrics recently… would probably go navy to start
-at least one linen suit: Nope. Used to have one, but I really think the application scenarios for these is actually pretty limited. I'd rather wear my Solaro suit instead
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes: 8 pair..and counting ..my favorite for shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check: 2 or 3 of these
-at least one wool or cashmere tie: Around 12 or so in both wool and cashmere…maybe more, I'd have to count
-at least one linen or linen blend tie: Yeah.. in Navy

If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes: But of course! Peak lapel, double vented with the bow tie i got married in years ago
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel: Dark charcoal cashmere single breasted that's cut long, plus a came polo coat that is a seriously badass piece of outerwear but so damn warm its really gotta be freezing for me to reach for it

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun to do an update on this:

Back in late 2012/early 2013:

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white FC shirt
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
-black stitch caps
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen hanky

For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check
-at least one wool or cashmere tie
-at least one linen or linen blend tie

If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

As of early 2015, I can now add the peak-lapel black tie rig (which I have actually had cause to wear - and on my rural island too!), the black grenadine, the (several) blue shirts (in both BD and otherwise) - although I still have more non-blue than blue shirts - and even some good non-chino trousers. However, I still have no loafers that I actually wear. I still can't stand them.

I am will also soon take delivery of my medium grey flannel DB suit, which theoretically at least will put me into Manton's 'best dressers' category... and yes, I know, but allow me my small moment of satisfaction.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yes. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek in response to seeing a thread bumped after six months for one question. Context matters here and you have to consider the audience that the post was written for and the definition of well-dressed provided later on in the thread. Your wardrobe, while it may be fine for your purposes (and you should not feel pressured to buy things because they are on some list if you know you won't wear them) does not offer this flexibility. You may not need it (in the language of this thread, you may not need to be "well-dressed").

Honestly the non-advanced stuff is pretty minimalist (2 suits, 2 sport coats, two pairs of pants, a few shirts, 3 pairs of shoes, 2 ties). It's hard for me to see that as excessive.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The point has nothing to do with caring for clothes, which I'm sure we all do. With your wardrobe you are essentially required to wear the same thing every time. This is fine if you only wear Classic Menswear once a month or perhaps once a year. This is a Classic Menswear forum, however. They wear CM on a daily, or at least weekly, basis. Your wardrobe is simply not sufficient for people who are required, or choose, to dress in CM on a regular basis. You are simply not prepared to wear CM on anything remotely resembling a regular basis.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point has nothing to do with caring for clothes, which I'm sure we all do. With your wardrobe you are essentially required to wear the same thing every time. This is fine if you only wear Classic Menswear once a month or perhaps once a year. This is a Classic Menswear forum, however. They wear CM on a daily, or at least weekly, basis. Your wardrobe is simply not sufficient for people who are required, or choose, to dress in CM on a regular basis. You are simply not prepared to wear CM on anything remotely resembling a regular basis.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/506804/ive-been-wearing-the-same-thing-for-a-year

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright then.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I get the feeling he is half serious, half testing the limits. which is healthy. only time will tell if he has what it takes to stick around and contribute. because if he does? he will feel good in the real world.

Poking fun at the yawn inducing norm? i get it.

rather than shrug him off. i wanna see what he's got. there Might be some unique style behind the fun and games.

tdellaringa

Reaction score
Can someone help with the abbreviations? I'm just getting started.

FC, BC, BD, DB - please advise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads