• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say the fabric is funky enough, but the styling of some of them I would file under "bad taste".

jcole208

Reaction score
Wow, I've been working hard on my wardrobe, but I didn't consider myself "advanced" just yet! Not bad for an 29-yr-old on an entry-level budget (if I do say so myself :).

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold - Three. One sack cut BB, One super 150s Hart Shaf Marx, One linen lighter blue.
-mid gray flannel pants - I have four different pairs of wool trousers in different shades, but none flannel, although I've been looking.
-decent, non-chino khakis - I have khaki dress trousers and Orvis donegal wool trousers w/ leather pockets. Not sure which counts.
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket - Yes! I have three.
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit - Dark grey with a faint pinstripe.
-a navy worsted single breasted suit - Yes, but hoping to replace it with a better quality one.
-a white FC shirt - I have two, one spread, one point collar. Also four white BC shirts.
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD - One classic blue OCBD, one fine dress BD, one point collar BC.
-black stitch caps. - Check, (Bostonian) but hoping to replace within a couple years.
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) A beautiful pair of Magnanni cap-toe like these.
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell. Not shell, but nice penny and tassel loafers (JM and AE)
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine - missing this piece. I don't wear my black suit often, so why would I need a solid black tie?
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine - solid navy, but neither grenadine nor knit. I have a solid brown knit and a solid dark green knit, though.
-a plain white linen hanky - Check.

For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both). See below.
-at least one linen suit - Only a jacket (which was half a suit that I swapped the buttons on, see under "blue odd jacket").
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes - Yes!
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check - I have a formal B&W "wedding tie".
-at least one wool or cashmere tie - several
-at least one linen or linen blend tie - two

If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes - no need yet.
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel - no

Or

- topcoat in tweed - got a nice grey herringbone.
- raincoat - SB or trench - no
- one chalkstripe suit - navy or gray; bonus points for DB - Yes! DB navy chalk-strip flannel.

How did I score?

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, I'm well dressed in accordance with Michael's list, with most of the advanced column checked off and also the optionals.

My personal well dressed list includes formal slippers, formal wear and good lounge wear for around the house. Nothing more disappointing that a well dressed person who rents a tux or wears old sweats and fuzzy socks around the house.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

Wow, I'm well dressed in accordance with Michael's list, with most of the advanced column checked off and also the optionals.

My personal well dressed list includes formal slippers, formal wear and good lounge wear for around the house. Nothing more disappointing that a well dressed person who rents a tux or wears old sweats and fuzzy socks around the house.

What is your around-the-house uniform?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit two actually one for each season
-a white FC shirt (only as a tux shirt)
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
-black stitch caps (black punch cap instead)
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell (loafers don't fit me well - I have a side gusset wholecut in kudu for this role)
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen hanky

-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) (both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check (sort of, in cashmere)
-at least one wool or cashmere tie
-at least one linen or linen blend tie

If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

Guilty. I'm a slob at home pretty much.

I am as well, although if I could figure out something that was comfortable enough but still looked fabulous if someone dropped by, I would adopt it.

Currently it's cords, a t-shirt with a sweater or fleece and slippers.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading and revisiting Manton's excellent list.

I've seen some guys in more casual settings get by with even a stripped down version of this list and look great. When all the items fit well and coordinate it isn't that hard to do.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white FC shirt
-black stitch caps
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell

-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check

If necessary

I guess I have a decent wardrobe then.

Missing:
- Black cap toe. I really have no need for it but will eventually get it.
- DB suit. Sold
- linen suit. Not needed
- wool tie
- black tie rig. Not needed

Last edited:

Reaction score
Self-serving drivel

bha

Reaction score
Blazer, sportcoat, or outerwear? What jacket does this refer to? I have the first two
-mid gray flannel pants
Can't see myself ever wearing these. Non-chino kakhis, colored denim and dark denim take the place of these. I find that anywhere mid-gray flannel will go, you can substitute a nice pair of dark grey denim, with only one exception: a navy blazer requires the flannel for sure. I have been able to pull of pretty much else with the nice (key word: nice) denim.
Tweed looks horrible on me. Can't wear it at all. So have a few funky jackets but nothing tweed.
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white FC shirt
-black stitch caps
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell

-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
Have a DB suit, haven't worn it in years. The look in downtown Toronto really hasn't come back from what I can tell.. it's rare to see someone wearing a DB suit (although becoming slightly more common than a year or two ago)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check
Does this include bowties? I have 'regular' ties in formal patterns/colours
Wool ties make me look like a hipster.. see tweed jacket above... can't pull off this look.
Same as above, although I honestly haven't looked around too much. Could possibly find something to fit this category.

If necessary
Will rent if needed. I hate buying clothes that I'll wear once every few years...
Not black? I have a black one and it seems to suit most needs. I know it's not the best choice but seems odd to exclude it...

Always thought I was pretty well dressed (and I get compliments often..) but do I really need the other items above that badly??

Shpirt

Reaction score
I live in a climate that does not allow for an over coat or a lot of tweeds...

I wear suits and ties during the week - so I have a healthy collection of custom suiting in every color/fabric, as well as multiple black tie rigs.

However, I don't have any DB suits - they just don't look good on me (so I guess I am not very advanced)

I also don't know how a BD collar made it on a "must own to be well-dressed" list....I am very confused about that. I know that some BD shirts are decent looking and don't remind you of a Sears fire sale rack - but for the most part i detest BD collars and rarely see them worn in a professional or well-dressed causal setting. Am I way off base here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads