1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

maybe there is, but I know that I am not qualified to formulate it

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Neither am I. Icons of Men's Style by Josh Sims might be inspiring for someone who can formulate it.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you?

1 person likes this.
  4. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Did I say Chelsea or chukka? I certainly intended the latter. Either way, yes, these are 3 season shoes, but I would wear the other option I suggested (split-toes) all year round.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Although I've never slavishly followed the "no navy odd trousers" dogma, I own worsted and flannel navy trousers, but wear some shade of gray much, much more often. I find that the navy trousers just don't get much use, perhaps because I wear a lot of blue and navy trousers don't offer enough contrast(?).

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I'm doing pretty well I suppose, especially since most of these were purchased since I started lurking here a couple of years ago. I'd like at get another tweed SC, preferably before fall. I teach a Masters-level class at a college in NYC so I guess it fits the professor look. I've never really had much use for BD shirts though. Out of approx 40 dress shirts I think I have 1 extra slim fit BB BD that I snagged at the Mr Porter sale last Jan and have worn maybe twice. I'd love to add a linen suit at some point too, especially a cigar linen: http://dieworkwear.com/post/19240786953/cigar-linen
    Fred

7. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I wore an outfit VERY similar to this just a few weeks ago. Take out the grenadine, add in a gold/blue paisley, and solid charcoal.

---

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned difficulty to get all the stuff on the list. Bhowie mentioned that all of the stuff on the list that he has is RTW and altered, which I imagine is the case for most people. I would be ill-pressed to even find the majority of the things on that list in my size without resorting to MTM or bespoke.

Except loafers. I won't say never, but I can't imagine buying a pair in the next two decades. I hate those things.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Srsly? Like what? Name an item on that list that I couldn't find you 3 links to RTW options of within 10 minutes.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

in 30x30.

in 36 Short. Preferrably intended to be a slim cut, since taking a full-figured suit/jacket and turning it into a slim cut inevitably looks atrocious.

I live near a NM, Off Fifth, plus all your usual mall stores (nordstrom's, macy's, etc.) and have never found them in my size.

The shirts, ties, and pocket squares I have [or could find easily for the knit ties I don't have an interest in].

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Slim khakis, slightly short. White buttondown. The cardigan may be red or navy. Chelseas for dress or Converse All-Stars for play. Knit tie optional.

I've never really watched the Dick Van Dyke Show, but I suspect everything one might need to know about clothes can be found there.

11. unbelragazzo

Ah, well that's an issue of the sizing, not the items themselves. But in any case, here are some flannels in 30 (you'll have to hem them but this is true for almost any decent pants you'll buy...and they're brown, but I'm sure once fall rolls around they'll be stocking grey again):

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants/products/classic-flannel-pants-brown

same thing for BB, surely in fall they will have grey:
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BROWN&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

PRL:
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...OLO/Grey&parentPage=family&selectedColor=Grey

likely you could go to the same three sites and get options for a 36S blazer, but you can do that yourself.

1 person likes this.
  12. unbelragazzo

Really, you could probably go to either BB or RL and get at least 90% of the items on this list. Whatever you can't find at the first one you visit, you can probably get at the other one.

13. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Apart from BB (I hate them for reasons irrelevant to this thread), I'm genuinely impressed. I've had stores get stuff in my size, but you can imagine how cost-prohibitive that can get to be. Been to RL stores in person and they didn't have stuff my size, never thought to check HY.

You, sir, may have damaged my next paycheck.

14. unbelragazzo

As a service to some excellent SF members and affiliates:

http://www.pantaclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1pant
    http://www.pantaclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2pant
    http://www.pantaclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3pant

(note that 3 of the 5 pants in ed's collection right now are on Manton's list)

I have no direct experience, but these seem to be quite popular:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Mens-Clothing-cln-Trousers/Categories

15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It's been talked about ad nauseum in SW&D. The currently approved SW&D list would look something like this (obviously taking into account the median age, probably mid twenties, and the fact that most of these items are totally popular by virtue of groupthink):
    1 leather jacket
    1 black or dark coloured sportcoat
    1 overcoat or parka

1 nice cardigan or crew neck sweater

a few tshirts, usually white.

1 pair raw denim
    1 pair black denim
    1 pair grey pants

1 pair white sneakers (low or high)
    1 pair sleek boots (side zip, back zip or anything sleek enough to look good with slim denim)

Honestly i don't think it's a particularly useful exercise in SW&D

Question for Manton
    Assuming you have all of these things - and have probably accumulated many others on the journey- do you feel like you have enough and are content? Obviously just the bare minimum is not desirable, but this is clearly not a bare minimum type list.

Moreover, do you feel like a lot of the other stuff not on this list is now somewhat superfluous and you'd be almost better off without it? Do you feel like the "journey" has been about aquiring these pillars of your wardrobe, either through trial and error or thought and planning?

I can see that it would be quite easy to have more, say, shoes, ties and pocketsquares than are present on the list, but it seems to me to be a reasonably comprehensive list of suits and jackets

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

while i agree with your premise that all that stuff can be found RTW. lets not forget though, with jackets in particular, cut is a huge factor. for some people finding any SC/suit RTW that really looks right is genuinely difficult. it is for me anyways.

17. unbelragazzo

Yea, but what I'm saying is, if you can't find these items in RTW in cuts that you like, then you just can't find jackets in cuts that you like. Everyone making jackets is going to make a navy blazer every season. Everyone making suits will make a navy and a charcoal every season. The DBs might be a different story, but they're on the advanced list.

18. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If he gave it to you he wouldn't be well dressed... [​IMG]

19. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thanks, Hendrix. That's for a three days' trip? :) I'd be interested in a more MC oriented list though. Or perhaps a list of "classic casuals"...

20. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Great thread, thanks!