• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+2, ill just tell myself its cuz it was friday night. otherwise im sure i would have been invited.

hey, I roasted pork on tisha be'av, I would have gone on friday night.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OlSarge

Reaction score
Hey, someone has to maintain standards in the concert hall.
biggrin.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the matter of a black-tie rig, in most social circles--at least those I move it--it just doesn't come up here in SoCal. Curiously, the men in the two households just south of my abode both own tuxedoes, although neither is the clotheshorse that I am. One goes to civic banquets occasionally, the other told me he hasn't worn his in years. Except for awards ceremonies like the Oscars, the occasion to wear them just doesn't seem to arise. Anent the Oscars and such, it's a sad commentary that virtually all the attendees could afford the most elegant of tailored black-tie rigs, but so many of them are way under par, as is often noted on this forum. Probably the practice of receiving complimentary duds from sundry designers has much to do with this sorry state.

If I got a tux, I'd want it to be a good one. I can't justify spending $2K or so with Chan or somebody in order to have one "just in case" we ever got a black-tie invitation.

The idea of a "black-tie" wedding (with all male guests in black tie) in these parts would be risible. It would probably be hard enough to get all the invitees to come in neckties!

As to the matter of loafers, I see them as neither here nor there. I don't consider them particularly the mark of a well dressed gentlemen, neither are classic loafers subpar in the sense that some square-toed abomination with thick rubber soles would be. They're just okay, somewhat dressy footwear that I don't particularly happen to care for--they all seem to slip on my feet!

LeviMay

Reaction score

Black tie is mostly doesn't happen in Canada.

Truth.

In my area of western Canada, we have a few Black Tie-appropriate events every year, plus one event per year that's actually called a "Black Tie Dinner". Everybody under 40 (-ish) is in a suit. Mostly black, although this year there was one shiny silver suit with a turquoise shirt and a white tie, and several similar "looks". Most of the over-40 crowd are in an odd jacket, with only a sprinkling of ties throughout.

I have my Black Tie Rig from my (evening) wedding three years ago, and haven't worn it since.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to second the frustration about the lack of black tie events. I know a number of people with at least vague approximations of black tie rigs but it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to wear them. I think I have been to one private black tie event in the last three years. What I really don't get is that I actually prefer to wear black tie because it is easier. "Black tie" on the invite means no tedious, endless speculation on what you are supposed to wear to the event.

And you hardly ever seen anyone in restaurants wearing black tie. It ought to be the easiest thing in the world for a bunch of friends to throw on their DJs and go out to dinner. But I can't quite bring myself to be the only DJ in a restaurant where typically, many of the patrons are barely wearing shoes. I have been toying with the idea of finding out when and wear the local Chaine des Rotisseurs is meeting and just, coincidentally, showing up at the same restaurant.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We have a ball season here, which is not nearly as lewd as it sounds. The largest and most glamorous are in Vienna (such as the Wiener Opernball and the Kaiserball). We have several here ranging from very elegant to hunter's ball, where traditional dress is needed.

I may take my wife to something, though we're not important enough for the bigger balls :)

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to play violin in an amateur orchestra (and may also play with another one this year), so have an opportunity to wear my dinner suit 5 or more times/year.

I've also been to a black-tie wedding in the past year or so and I wear it to a James Bond-themed party every year.

I think if you look for occasions, you can find them. Also, when you already have one in your possession, that sometimes accounts for more invitations to such affairs.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black tie is mostly doesn't happen in Canada.

This. I suspect there is a vanishingly small segment of the old guard where it still happens, but their time is passing.

To be clear, I could purchase tickets to black tie events (mostly charitable), but I do not equate that with being invited to a black tie event, if you understand the difference.

not if he works at a police station. in the movies those parties are never black tie.

My haircut would fit in, if nothing else. :)

Isn't a Canadian tux on equal standing? :happy:

Oh, I get invited to lots of events where those would pass muster, but I do not have one. Nor do I own a Kenora Dinner Jacket (lumberjack shirt) ... :laugh:

We have a ball season here, which is not nearly as lewd as it sounds. The largest and most glamorous are in Vienna (such as the Wiener Opernball and the Kaiserball). We have several here ranging from very elegant to hunter's ball, where traditional dress is needed.
I may take my wife to something, though we're not important enough for the bigger balls :)

These would be white tie, though, no?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

These would be white tie, though, no?

Quite possibly. I've never attended one, so I never really researched them. I'll have to dig up some photos, though I know they air at least one of them on TV. The Life Ball has become huge and it is really interesting. It's to benefit AIDS research and tickets sell out incredibly fast. Tickets are available in a couple of categories, I believe the most popular being costume. The costumes are really outrageous.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you really do not have a DB suit?

Spoo, really? You don't have double-breasted suits? This surprises me.

I really don't. I had a DB Huntsman, but it was never right on me and I sold it. I like the way I look in one, and I wouldn't have a problem owning one - the right one just hasn't shown its face yet.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As to the matter of loafers, I see them as neither here nor there. I don't consider them particularly the mark of a well dressed gentlemen, neither are classic loafers subpar in the sense that some square-toed abomination with thick rubber soles would be. They're just okay, somewhat dressy footwear that I don't particularly happen to care for--they all seem to slip on my feet!

Took a while to get to the punch line ("loafers...slip on"), but well worth it.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
✓ a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
✓ mid gray flannel pants
✓ decent, non-chino khakis
✓ at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
✓ a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
✓ a navy worsted single breasted suit
✓ a white FC shirt
✓ several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
✓ black stitch caps
✓ some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
✓ Loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell
✓ a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
✓a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
✓ a plain white linen hanky

For the "more advanced" players:
x at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
x at least one linen suit
✓ at least one pair of brown suede shoes
✓ at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check
✓ at least one wool or cashmere tie
x at least one linen or linen blend tie

If necessary
x A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
✓ An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads