• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could only have ONE brown tweed'ish sport coat...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks N. I remember seeing pics of that in the NSM thread. Would love to see the final result, but I don't think that's been posted anywhere? Anyway, I suspect that it's slightly too sandy in colour compared to what I'm envisioning. Still looks great though.
I also like this one from Manton:
2BLtd.jpg

but it might be too dark IRL, especially without the flash...

beautiful, but could use a subtle overplaid.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Adding to the pictorial catalog of brown "tweed" sportcoats. (This one is technically wool-cotton)

Love these new style soft shoulder jackets Corneliani is doing

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:) Ah... I like that, though I sometimes think one or three would have been better (on my two-cuff-buttons-jacket).
GeP2u.jpg

:) Ah... I like that, though I sometimes think one or three would have been better (on my two-cuff-buttons-jacket).
GeP2u.jpg

A modern Ivy /Neapolitan jacket?
I prefer it.

It is the antithesis of the very British structured Huntsman style below;

ReplyQuote Multi
post #20 of 31 12 hours, 11 minutes ago

Cantabrigian

A few guys have the Minnis 7704. Not a solid but in most light, the black overcheck is very understated.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GeP2u.jpg

Awesome suit / entire outfit, NOBD.

A modern Ivy /Neapolitan jacket?
I prefer it.
It is the antithesis of the very British structured Huntsman style below;
ReplyQuote Multi
post #20 of 31 12 hours, 11 minutes ago

Cantabrigian

A few guys have the Minnis 7704. Not a solid but in most light, the black overcheck is very understated.

The jacket I posted has zero structured and is not British.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a bit of a delay I will be picking the completed jacket up from NSM next month when they are in SF. Perfect timing for fall. Here is a pic of the jacket from a fitting. It has more bone coloring in it than Kaplan's pic. But I did that intentionally because I wanted a "fresh", updated color combination that wasn't a literal copy of classic patterns. I find that many of the classic tweed color combinations can make a guy look older and I'm not going for that look. Plus, the trends are to wear more lighter colored neutrals in winter and those will pair nicely with the bone color in the pattern. (beige pants, oatmeal heather sweater, etc.).

As far as the Kaplan's question, I've owned something very similar to his pic. I found brown on brown a bit dull when wearing it perhaps due to my skin/hair color. I later found a tweed combining a brown with a deep mossy green to be an ideal combination. The addition of green gave it a lot more contrast and color variety.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looking very much forward to seeing the finished result. Do you know the weight of the cloth?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ Looking very much forward to seeing the finished result. Do you know the weight of the cloth?

I don't. The pic I took of the fabric swatch didn't have that info. But, it is a heavy wool cashmere blend. Similar to a weight you might choose for a winter top coat/ overcoat. I was looking for something to wear on cold days in the fall/winter with a scarf and jeans or flannels. I was inspired by fabrics found on an Arny's of Paris Forester and some old Hollywood pics of David Niven but in a trimmer cut with odd jacket proportions.

emptym

Reaction score
I have a jacket made of a medium brown, herringbone donegal from a W. Bill book. I really enjoy it. Got it in the config Trini suggested.

The fabric's lighter in color than the pic in the OP and very soft. I thought it was lambswool. The weight was 14 oz iirc. The book has many shades and is well worth a look imho. I think Slewfoot has a suit made in a dark brown tweed from that book.

Last edited:

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If ypur're patient enough to shop around ebay you'll find some nice items there, I bought a vintage grey harris tweed for about $30 dollars

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't. The pic I took of the fabric swatch didn't have that info. But, it is a heavy wool cashmere blend. Similar to a weight you might choose for a winter top coat/ overcoat. I was looking for something to wear on cold days in the fall/winter with a scarf and jeans or flannels.

Ah, ok. That sounds too heavy for what I want. From talking to Parker about his experience with Glenroyal (430g) I'll be wanting something lighter. From what I've seen of your coat so far it does look great though.

I have a jacket made of a medium brown, herringbone donegal from a W. Bill book. I really enjoy it. Got it in the config Trini suggested.
The fabric's lighter in color than the pic in the OP and very soft. I thought it was lambswool. The weight was 14 oz iirc. The book has many shades and is well worth a look imho. I think Slewfoot has a suit made in a dark brown tweed from that book.

Sounds nice. Are there any pics of this floating around?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads