• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

If you could only have ONE brown tweed'ish sport coat...

emptym

Reaction score
^Yep, in the Chan and Tailors' threads, but here's the brown/tan one:
1000-1.jpeg
2126764.jpeg
IMG_5478.jpeg

Here's a green herringbone Donegal from the same W. Bill book:
IMG_2582.jpeg
IMG_5746.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpeg

Both together:
1000.jpeg

Here's Slewfoot's dark brown one. Hope he doesn't mind my posting it:

Last edited:

mercretas

Reaction score

:) Ah... I like that, though I sometimes think one or three would have been better (on my two-cuff-buttons-jacket).

It's been said before, but bears repeating - this is a fantastic look. Everything about it is great. I appreciate all the detail shots.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^Yep. They were posted in the Chan thread and the Tailors' Thread, but here they are too:

Thanks for posting those. Are you happy with the fabric or would you choose differently given your experience with these?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the brown herringbone emptym has and while I like it a lot, I would not choose it as my only brown tweed sport coat. Maybe you should look into Moonbeam or Breanish to get something lighter so that you can wear it 6-7 months a year.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't 14 oz at the lighter end of tweed? I'm certainly after something that's not too heavy or warm wearing; interested in how low you can go, while still resembling some guts and 'tweediness' to the cloth. I'll have to look at samples eventually, but it's very educational to hear about peoples experiences here as well. Thanks all!

Btw, I considered a donegal herringbone for a while, but I feel a basic plain herringbone is more what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well,you also need to take into consideration the type of weave. Shetlands are different from cheviots, I have a 22 oz cheviot that wears just as warm as the 14 oz shetland. Moonbeam and lambswool have softer hand if that's what you are after, they are both under 14 oz (think around 12-13 oz).

emptym

Reaction score
I love the fabric. I have two and would get all the colors they had if finances permitted and I lived somewhere colder.

The weight is perfect to me, living in SF, great for anything below 60 F or so, depending on wind, etc.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stay tuned for a definitive brown herringbone tweed showdown.

I have these swatches coming. Will take a matchup picture in natural lighting

-Abraham Moon
-Lovat x London Lounge
-Harrisons Moonbeam
-Harrisons Saltire
-Porter & Harding Glenroyal
-Porter & Harding Hartwist
-Bateman & Ogden Glenhunt

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown herringbone shootout:

First column: Moon lambswool, Moon lambswool, Moon lambswool, Marling & Evans lambswool (all way too soft for my tastes)
Second column: Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, P&H Hartwist
Third column: Harrisons Moonbeam, Harrisons Saltire, P&H Glenroyal

Semi-Finalists (clockwise):

P&H Glenroyal, P&H Hartwist, Abraham Moon shetland, Abraham Moon shetland (laid on top of the London Lounge shetland I already own)

Finalists (clockwise):

P&H Glenroyal, P&H Hartwist, Abraham Moon shetland (laid on top of the London Lounge shetland I already own)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting that you say that. It's also the most cost effective cloth at $15/yard. :slayer:

I got my final package of brown tweed samples in today. Took forever.

I'll reshoot tomorrow afternoon. A nice Harris tweed and Alsport tweed in there that are the same color as the AM shetland.

I like the AM shetland best

Same here.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the P&H Hartwist much more than the others.

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LethaBruen