1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If you could only have ONE brown tweed'ish sport coat...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kaplan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Nicest thing i've seen in a while on this forum

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't. The pic I took of the fabric swatch didn't have that info. But, it is a heavy wool cashmere blend. Similar to a weight you might choose for a winter top coat/ overcoat. I was looking for something to wear on cold days in the fall/winter with a scarf and jeans or flannels. I was inspired by fabrics found on an Arny's of Paris Forester and some old Hollywood pics of David Niven but in a trimmer cut with odd jacket proportions.

3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I have a jacket made of a medium brown, herringbone donegal from a W. Bill book. I really enjoy it. Got it in the config Trini suggested.

The fabric's lighter in color than the pic in the OP and very soft. I thought it was lambswool. The weight was 14 oz iirc. The book has many shades and is well worth a look imho. I think Slewfoot has a suit made in a dark brown tweed from that book.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

If ypur're patient enough to shop around ebay you'll find some nice items there, I bought a vintage grey harris tweed for about $30 dollars

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Ah, ok. That sounds too heavy for what I want. From talking to Parker about his experience with Glenroyal (430g) I'll be wanting something lighter. From what I've seen of your coat so far it does look great though.

Sounds nice. Are there any pics of this floating around?

6. emptym

^Yep. They were posted in the Chan thread and the Tailors' Thread, but here they are too: Full body shots of the brown/tan one:
    Closeup of the fabric:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a green herringbone Donegal from the same W. Bill book:
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's Slewfoot's dark brown one. Hope he doesn't mind my posting it:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mercretas

mercretas Well-Known Member

It's been said before, but bears repeating - this is a fantastic look. Everything about it is great. I appreciate all the detail shots.

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks for posting those. Are you happy with the fabric or would you choose differently given your experience with these?

9. forex

forex Senior member

I have the brown herringbone emptym has and while I like it a lot, I would not choose it as my only brown tweed sport coat. Maybe you should look into Moonbeam or Breanish to get something lighter so that you can wear it 6-7 months a year.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Isn't 14 oz at the lighter end of tweed? I'm certainly after something that's not too heavy or warm wearing; interested in how low you can go, while still resembling some guts and 'tweediness' to the cloth. I'll have to look at samples eventually, but it's very educational to hear about peoples experiences here as well. Thanks all!

Btw, I considered a donegal herringbone for a while, but I feel a basic plain herringbone is more what I'm looking for.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  11. forex

forex Senior member

Well,you also need to take into consideration the type of weave. Shetlands are different from cheviots, I have a 22 oz cheviot that wears just as warm as the 14 oz shetland. Moonbeam and lambswool have softer hand if that's what you are after, they are both under 14 oz (think around 12-13 oz).

1 person likes this.
  12. emptym

I love the fabric. I have two and would get all the colors they had if finances permitted and I lived somewhere colder.

The weight is perfect to me, living in SF, great for anything below 60 F or so, depending on wind, etc.

1 person likes this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Stay tuned for a definitive brown herringbone tweed showdown.

I have these swatches coming. Will take a matchup picture in natural lighting

-Abraham Moon
    -Lovat x London Lounge
    -Harrisons Moonbeam
    -Harrisons Saltire
    -Porter & Harding Glenroyal
    -Porter & Harding Hartwist
    -Bateman & Ogden Glenhunt

1 person likes this.
  14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Brown herringbone shootout:

First column: Moon lambswool, Moon lambswool, Moon lambswool, Marling & Evans lambswool (all way too soft for my tastes)
    Second column: Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, Moon shetland, P&H Hartwist
    Third column: Harrisons Moonbeam, Harrisons Saltire, P&H Glenroyal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Semi-Finalists (clockwise):

P&H Glenroyal, P&H Hartwist, Abraham Moon shetland, Abraham Moon shetland (laid on top of the London Lounge shetland I already own)

[​IMG]

Finalists (clockwise):

P&H Glenroyal, P&H Hartwist, Abraham Moon shetland (laid on top of the London Lounge shetland I already own)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I like the AM shetland best

1 person likes this.
  16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Same here.

17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Interesting that you say that. It's also the most cost effective cloth at $15/yard. :slayer:

I got my final package of brown tweed samples in today. Took forever.

I'll reshoot tomorrow afternoon. A nice Harris tweed and Alsport tweed in there that are the same color as the AM shetland.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

SOLD.

19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I like the P&H Hartwist much more than the others.