If You Could Only Have 1 Pair of Shoes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

Edward Green Asquith in dark oak on the 82 last. As appropriate with a suit as with a pair of khakis or corduroy trousers. [​IMG]

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Sandals and a spot on the French Riviera.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Why doesn't anyone like black shoes

4. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Burn the heretic at the stake!

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

i'm assuming black shoes are a no-no just like black suits then (both of which, i love)

I've got some black "Pronto Uomo" shoes that look nice, but are unfomfortable as hell. I think I need to get some Rockports.

it's tought to find a nice shoe in 7

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

Conspicuous in his absence: Aportnoy (who should be exept from answering this thread, lest his head explode)

For me: probably a pair of New Balance cross-trainer style shoes. If I could only have one pair, I'd clearly be unemployed, and just need basic all-weather, all-terrain shoes. The only thing you can't do in tennis shoes is wear a suit (and some people break that rule too).

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Those look pretty cool lukcha.

9. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those look pretty cool lukcha.

yep G&G bespoke baby! on my wish list for 07[​IMG]

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

So how do "Pronto Uomo" compare with all these other brands you all mention? Those are probably the nicest pair of shoes I have, but hard as hell on my knees by the end of the day. I know Rockports aren't well thought of around here, but damn they are the most comfortable that I've tried.

11. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Conspicuous in his absence: Aportnoy (who should be exept from answering this thread, lest his head explode)

For me: probably a pair of New Balance cross-trainer style shoes. If I could only have one pair, I'd clearly be unemployed, and just need basic all-weather, all-terrain shoes. The only thing you can't do in tennis shoes is wear a suit (and some people break that rule too).

I direct you thusly:

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=10

I thought you'd be awol as well, aportnoy, but you came out of the gate strong and decisively.

As to black shoes - you know, I really liked them until I saw how brown shoes look when they are good. They have depth, like wood. Black is just so matte. Although black boots are always awesomely menacing.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

But brown shoes just don't seem to go right with navy or black...

Is there a beginner's shoes thread here somewhere? I never put a shoe tree in mine, so they are pretty creased up. Will the tree remove that if I start using it now? Doubtful.

I agree the brown shoes look nicer, but I don't think they'd go with anything I have in my wardrobe. I am a pale skinned, dark haired person, so I'm all about navies, grays, and blacks matched with pastels.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Can anyone help me out here, the shoe challenged. I just bought some cedar shoe trees from Walmart, and polished them up nicely, but they still definately don't look new.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

But brown shoes just don't seem to go right with navy or black...

Is there a beginner's shoes thread here somewhere? I never put a shoe tree in mine, so they are pretty creased up. Will the tree remove that if I start using it now? Doubtful.

I agree the brown shoes look nicer, but I don't think they'd go with anything I have in my wardrobe. I am a pale skinned, dark haired person, so I'm all about navies, grays, and blacks matched with pastels.

Dark oak goes very well with navies and greys, imo.

koji

15. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

i'm assuming black shoes are a no-no just like black suits then (both of which, i love)

I've got some black "Pronto Uomo" shoes that look nice, but are unfomfortable as hell. I think I need to get some Rockports.

it's tought to find a nice shoe in 7

Your assumption is a bit exaggerated. Black shoes are not as big a no-no on this forum as black suits. But it's true that a lot of the people posting here favour brown shoes.

I wear black shoes all the time with a suit, but if I had to have only one pair of shoes, they'd be brown, because black shoes with a casual outfit are a total no-no for me, while brown shoes with a suit are a splendid combination [​IMG].