1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If You Could Only Have 1 Pair of Shoes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Conspicuous in his absence: Aportnoy (who should be exept from answering this thread, lest his head explode)

For me: probably a pair of New Balance cross-trainer style shoes. If I could only have one pair, I'd clearly be unemployed, and just need basic all-weather, all-terrain shoes. The only thing you can't do in tennis shoes is wear a suit (and some people break that rule too).

I direct you thusly:

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=10

I thought you'd be awol as well, aportnoy, but you came out of the gate strong and decisively.

As to black shoes - you know, I really liked them until I saw how brown shoes look when they are good. They have depth, like wood. Black is just so matte. Although black boots are always awesomely menacing.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

But brown shoes just don't seem to go right with navy or black...

Is there a beginner's shoes thread here somewhere? I never put a shoe tree in mine, so they are pretty creased up. Will the tree remove that if I start using it now? Doubtful.

I agree the brown shoes look nicer, but I don't think they'd go with anything I have in my wardrobe. I am a pale skinned, dark haired person, so I'm all about navies, grays, and blacks matched with pastels.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Can anyone help me out here, the shoe challenged. I just bought some cedar shoe trees from Walmart, and polished them up nicely, but they still definately don't look new.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

But brown shoes just don't seem to go right with navy or black...

Is there a beginner's shoes thread here somewhere? I never put a shoe tree in mine, so they are pretty creased up. Will the tree remove that if I start using it now? Doubtful.

I agree the brown shoes look nicer, but I don't think they'd go with anything I have in my wardrobe. I am a pale skinned, dark haired person, so I'm all about navies, grays, and blacks matched with pastels.

Dark oak goes very well with navies and greys, imo.

koji

5. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

i'm assuming black shoes are a no-no just like black suits then (both of which, i love)

I've got some black "Pronto Uomo" shoes that look nice, but are unfomfortable as hell. I think I need to get some Rockports.

it's tought to find a nice shoe in 7

Your assumption is a bit exaggerated. Black shoes are not as big a no-no on this forum as black suits. But it's true that a lot of the people posting here favour brown shoes.

I wear black shoes all the time with a suit, but if I had to have only one pair of shoes, they'd be brown, because black shoes with a casual outfit are a total no-no for me, while brown shoes with a suit are a splendid combination [​IMG].

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Your assumption is a bit exaggerated. Black shoes are not as big a no-no on this forum as black suits. But it's true that a lot of the people posting here favour brown shoes.

I wear black shoes all the time with a suit, but if I had to have only one pair of shoes, they'd be brown, because black shoes with a casual outfit are a total no-no for me, while brown shoes with a suit are a splendid combination [​IMG].

Good point Tibo !

7. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

Lobb's, bespoke Lobb's

8. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

the Ralph Lauren Corbens [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I'm tempted to say 'the official shoe of the SF' but I'd actually go for a dark brown monk because it kills with jeans, kills with odd trousers, and is fine for suits.

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'm tempted to say 'the official shoe of the SF' but I'd actually go for a dark brown monk because it kills with jeans, kills with odd trousers, and is fine for suits.

Wasn't the Weymouth the official SF shoe (which I must still purchase)? Or is it the RLPL Mackay [​IMG] ?

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

for me , i still say it is my brown algonquin FAM on the left if i were to only have one pair.
    the picture is ok, but you have to hold it and see it in person. superlative and decadent, solid and substantial. i wear it with my charcoal and navy and it is striking.
    [​IMG]

12. jml90

jml90 Senior member

for me , i still say it is my brown algonquin FAM on the left if i were to only have one pair.
    the picture is ok, but you have to hold it and see it in person. superlative and decadent, solid and substantial. i wear it with my charcoal and navy and it is striking.
    [​IMG]

Pure sex

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Well, we are obviously talking about a post-apocalyptic world if I can only have one pair of shoes, so it would have to be a heavily armored pair of all-round motorcycle boots.

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Pure sex
    Nice. A bit like my 'Lavarozione a mano' Ferragamos except mine are black, and the sole 'protrudes' out significantly more from the upper. postscript: of course, I meant that the shoes are like my shoes. Not 'pure sex'.

15. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Wasn't the Weymouth the official SF shoe (which I must still purchase)? Or is it the RLPL Mackay [​IMG] ?

Actually, I think the RLPL Macallister on the 89 last was the RLPL that was gunning for official SF shoe, about two years ago when Bluefly had tons of them for a really good price. I find the 89 last more comfortable than the 888, though the 89 is a little too large in the heel for me.

16. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I think this would have to be the official SF shoe:

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Weymouth: if only b/c I already have a pair and I'm not allowed to buy any more shoes until 2014.

18. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Burgundy cordovan wholecut, bespoke. It is durable, versatile, and easy to maintain.

[​IMG]

EG Dover bespoke is also highly desirable as a shoe for all occasions, if I had to own only a pair of dress shoe.

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I think this would have to be the official SF shoe:

[​IMG]

too funny.

nice Edward Green!

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

I have the same FAM in antique tan and I love that extra-long split toe!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]