• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could live in another time, when would it be?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always had a fascination with the Romans and I think I'd chose to live right before the fall of the republic if given a choice. With all that was going on it must have been a terribly interesting time to live. The treachery and back-room dealings hold a certain appeal to me.

I always liked Crassus until he got a bit too cocky and got himself killed chasing more wealth in the east. He once said something along the lines of "a man is never rich enough until he has enough money to support his own army." He should have been content when he achieved that. And of course Crassus was the man to go to when you wanted strings pulled in the Senate. He had a son that didn't make it too far. It would have been cool to have been that guy, assuming I could change my fate.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1950's: Ike was in the white house (in other words, much ado about nothing); Cuban missile crisis hadn't started yet, oil prices were low, America's economy was good, you could slap your secretary ********** and make her sleep with you or you'd fire her*. Man, times were good.

Wait...I just realized I'm not a republican.

Jon.

*Jill, are you reading this?
devil.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since i'm reading Thomas Paine right now, the American Revolution. but as a Caucasian and not in my current state as an Asian. heh heh.

-Jeff

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have been, Louis XIV. He had his problems with the Marquise de Maintenon, but Louis got to live at Versailles, drank from ice sculptures, had 300 servants to get him ready for the day, wore backless shoes in red leather, and oh, those clothes closets! Not as glamorous as it sounds of course, but Louis is my fave. 'L'etat, c'est moi!'
untitled-4.jpg

Stax

Reaction score
1920's

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
born around 1898 or so, try to make it into both world wars, and central europe in the 1920's

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
born around 1898 or so, try to make it into both world wars, and central europe in the 1920's

I would also say Central Europe in the 1920s, although the unspeakable awfulness of everything that followed in all of those countries makes it a difficult choice. What about if you died peacefully in your sleep after a long and fulfilling life, sometime around the mid 1930s?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I would have been, Louis XIV. He had his problems with the Marquise de Maintenon, but Louis got to live at Versailles, drank from ice sculptures, had 300 servants to get him ready for the day, wore backless shoes in red leather, and oh, those clothes closets! Not as glamorous as it sounds of course, but Louis is my fave. 'L'etat, c'est moi!'
untitled-4.jpg

It's good to be the king!

(Although that was technically a portrayal of Louis XVI...)

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The romans had their baths at least. Well, the rich ones anyway. And no more kings, that's too damned easy!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The future.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The future.
Not the heyday of Communist China? I heard that was a pretty good time.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take the future anytime over romantic nostalagia for some bygone era with no electricity, air travel, running water... So unfreeze me in a few hundred years when diseases and world hunger have been wiped out and people live until they're 200, or the world looks like the set of Mad Max.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Not the heyday of Communist China? I heard that was a pretty good time.
That will be in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads