If you could live during any era...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mm84321, Apr 25, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

there was a reason all the cool weapons have "trench" in their name.

It's equally likely that you'd be on the receiving end. [​IMG]

2. East2West

East2West Senior member

Oh yeah...chlorine and mustard gas wafting through body part strewn muddy trenches sounds like a good time.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

It's equally likely that you'd be on the receiving end. [​IMG]

50/50, not that bad.

but think of the various conflicts from about 1910 until 1950 - lots of cool conflicts. balkan war, wwi, german civil war, spanish civil war, ethiopian conflict, a couple of strange little wars in south america, wwii, israel's war of independence, india/pakistan conflicts, malaysian conflic, rebellians in the gulf and algeria. lots of cools stuff.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

not live, but I would've like to visit the 70s (as an adult) and see for myself how crazy and tacky it was.

5. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I would have liked to live in the Haight Ashbury district during the Summer of Love.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

mm##### will say the paleolithic right?

I want my fucking jetpack.

7. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

Alternatively, living in Las Vegas in the early 60's and being able to hang out at clubs where the Rat Pack were performing might have been fun.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

50/50, not that bad.

but think of the various conflicts from about 1910 until 1950 - lots of cool conflicts. balkan war, wwi, german civil war, spanish civil war, ethiopian conflict, a couple of strange little wars in south america, wwii, israel's war of independence, india/pakistan conflicts, malaysian conflic, rebellians in the gulf and algeria. lots of cools stuff.

dude, i know you know about just how awful these conflicts were. sure wwi had 'neat' weapons, but you probably would've gotten there, been randomly shot and then died of infection or gangrene in a mud filled ditch. wwi was HORRIBLE.

9. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

mm##### will say the paleolithic right?
    Ha, not quite. There's something about 1950's, suburban America that is very attractive to me--white picket fence and all.

10. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

For 99% of the world's population, life before 1850 or so was basically intolerable.

After that it gets slightly better for the 5% of the population who are bourgeois (and only in the occident), and more diseases are cured and sanitary conditions are improved.

Things were looking up in the beginning of the twentieth century until Europe and East Asia turned into abbatoirs for millions.

It might be fun to visit as a tourist but anyone who thinks they'd rather live anytime other than the present is kidding themselves.

11. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

50/50, not that bad. but think of the various conflicts from about 1910 until 1950 - lots of cool conflicts. balkan war, wwi, german civil war, spanish civil war, ethiopian conflict, a couple of strange little wars in south america, wwii, israel's war of independence, india/pakistan conflicts, malaysian conflic, rebellians in the gulf and algeria. lots of cools stuff.
    you sir are a moron,placed in any of those you would shit,piss and throw up on yourself in that order while crying for mommy.

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

Present time. Life wouldn't be worth living without my precious Styleforum.

13. austerlitz

austerlitz Senior member

thats a hard one, jeez.... I definitely would not want to live in pre renaissance Europe, thats certain...Now is a good time to live, thats for sure.

14. austerlitz

austerlitz Senior member

ehhh, I wouldnt exactly refer to conflict as cool [​IMG]
    50/50, not that bad.

you forget the chemical weapons.
    dude, i know you know about just how awful these conflicts were. sure wwi had 'neat' weapons, but you probably would've gotten there, been randomly shot and then died of infection or gangrene in a mud filled ditch. wwi was HORRIBLE.
    +1
    you sir are a moron,placed in any of those you would shit,piss and throw up on yourself in that order while crying for mommy.
    [​IMG]
    Present time. Life wouldn't be worth living without my precious Styleforum.

15. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I'm damn happy with right now.