1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If You Could Live Anywhere?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rangoon, Jun 17, 2011.

1. parnassus

parnassus New Member

def NYC or maybe Helsinki

2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I'm fairly happy in LA. I like how laid back it is.

I'd like to live in Europe though just to get around. Someplace that is a large city with culture, food beautiful women and nightlife/restaurants/shopping. So paris? I haven't been there long enough, but I liked the city vibe there.

3. itsaKarrahBoo

itsaKarrahBoo Member

If ANYWHERE in the world..

I'd choose some beach in Europe. I love beaches and I have way too many things to say about why I love Europe. [​IMG]

Also, if I had to settle with something a little closer to home, I'd love to live in San Fransisco or NYC.

4. Elusive

Elusive Senior member

Mustique if you dont where that is look it up

5. GANTeng

GANTeng New Member

Santorini! but current greek crisis... no way!
    I want a city that is sooooooo blended with nature. but it is also cultural, sophisticated, artistic, and fun.
    where are they???

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

Mustique if you dont where that is look it up
    Now who wouldn't know where Mustique is located. Lizzy's little sister loved the place.

7. Gatsbee

Gatsbee Senior member

Taipei
    NYC
    Seoul
    Paris
    Amsterdam (for a few years)

8. Rangoon

Rangoon Well-Known Member

I visited a friend in Brussels recently and was quite taken with the city. A main square which is as beautiful as any in Europe, great food and beer, plenty to do,decent nightlife and not as expensive as London. Some of the architecture is outstanding too. Definitely worth a second visit.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Paris - somewhere near Avenue Montaigne
    Seoul - high rises in Apgu/CheongDam overlooking the Han river
    Los Angeles - downtown near LA Live
    Chicago - Wicker Park area

Taipei
    NYC
    Seoul
    Paris
    Amsterdam (for a few years)

Korea is nice if you're Korean or have enough interest in Korea to enjoy what's there, lots of debauchery, really good looking women, constant energy, generally friendly people - but you need enough money to be able to take regular trips to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and a western country of your choice, like at least quarterly. What exists as food/drink/entertainment in Seoul is expensive and insufficient, rent is insanely high for the good stuff.

IMO, one needs to pull down $500k/year or the equivalent in cash and allowances at the bare minimum if you have no existing equity in Korea and want to live a middle/upper middle class existence there, middle class by North American standards. That's a clean home in a reasonably good neighborhood with a room for each person who sleeps there, a quality car or two, meat and fresh produce for food at each meal, plus entertainment of your choice (going out for good food and drinks more than occasionally, events, concerts, art and plays, etc). That's not even really saving any money, that's spending it all on the above.

As for me, I choose (and always really have) Tokyo, and so I am finally moving there soon.

10. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Visited there for first time in June. Hopefully won't be the last.

We live on the west coast of Florida, very near the beach, which has an equally spectacular sunset, but with a completely different vibe. More bad Jimmy Buffet than downtempo.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Saint Raphael or Antibes..

12. Camillus

Camillus Member

NYC in a pre-war co-op made by Rosario Candela or McKim, Mead & White with a fantastic view of Central Park.
    Like 960 Fifth Ave.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  13. Stedye

Stedye Senior member

Florence or Venice Italy. I love the culture and refinement of both these cities. I have visited both and have an equal love for both.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

I think we've talked about this before but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Not saying I haven't enjoyed my time down here but wow is there a lot of bs bureaucracy. Beautiful country, great food, but an incredibly inept infrastructure trapped in a sweater made of red tape. Even if you lived in the middle of nowhere in your own shack by a river, you'd still feel it as a foreigner coming out of your paycheck or if you ever had to hit one of my hospitals.
    I'm looking forward to visiting it one day when my Danish improves but I've got quite a few friends who moved to LA from Denmark and flat out refuse to return home to live there again. That has me worried.
    Had no idea. My father wants to retire down there or Cali, which seem like welcomed alternatives to his idea of living in Mexico DF...
    WHY? Americans tend to romanticize Europe but I really enjoyed the times I've been in Paris. If I had to be stateside, I think I'd pick Santa Barbara. As much as I love the South, I think I've become far too used to moderate climates to deal with the humidity or frigidness that plagues most states.

15. Vidal_Balloon

Vidal_Balloon Active Member

London, Manhatten, Nice, Monaco (although there isn't a great lot to do here in the long term, it's well situated), Madrid (possibility this may happen soon), Sydney, Edinburgh...
    .....and probably many more that I haven't visited yet.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I would have different houses for different purposes...

A flat in Paris , one in the south of France for the summer , a house in the UK and a pied a terre in the Alps ..