• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If You Are Scrawny, Why Buy Nice Clothes?

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Skinny people always look better than chubsters, and can wear a larger variety of things.

-average builded dude

I think chubsters will always get laid more often than skinnys. I don't mean Jobba The Hut or Michael Moore fat, but fairly thick.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
I think chubsters will always get laid more often than skinnys. I don't mean Jobba The Hut or Michael Moore fat, but fairly thick.

Really depends on our definitions of skinny and chubby, because there's a fairly large spectrum of body types.

Will an "average" weight guy (i.e., somewhat thick, some meat on the bones, maybe a small pot belly, but by no means "fat" or "obese") have a better shot with chicks than a super skinny guy? Possibly to probably.

Will a skinny guy have a better shot than a definitely-fat guy (i.e., clearly overweight and more flab than definition)? Yes.

In general, I think it's better to be average weight than stick-thin or fat. And so I tend to side on the "build yourself up a bit first, then buy the clothes" side of this debate. At the same time, I would rather be skinny than noticeably chubby. I'd probably rank my ideal body conditions as follows:

1) Fit and built
2) Average (some muscle and some fat; maybe a tiny bit soft overall)
3) Skinny
4) Skinny-fat
5) Fat

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Fat people are supposed to be jolly and good listeners, not angry and vindictive. This thread should be locked!

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a formerly skinny guy who got built, i have to say, it's much harder finding clothing that fits the 9-10" drop on my 5'6" frame.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Dreamy. Post shirtless pics.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Oh. I get it... you were forced to drink a bottle of Kenwood last night and now you're cranky.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by makker
The hipster style suits scrawnies best.

The title of the threak is about nice clothes. That makes this statement pointless.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You guys got the skinny/fat thing going, but what about UGLY people?

laugh.gif

Plestor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Really depends on our definitions of skinny and chubby, because there's a fairly large spectrum of body types. Will an "average" weight guy (i.e., somewhat thick, some meat on the bones, maybe a small pot belly, but by no means "fat" or "obese") have a better shot with chicks than a super skinny guy? Possibly to probably. Will a skinny guy have a better shot than a definitely-fat guy (i.e., clearly overweight and more flab than definition)? Yes. In general, I think it's better to be average weight than stick-thin or fat. And so I tend to side on the "build yourself up a bit first, then buy the clothes" side of this debate. At the same time, I would rather be skinny than noticeably chubby. I'd probably rank my ideal body conditions as follows: 1) Fit and built 2) Average (some muscle and some fat; maybe a tiny bit soft overall) 3) Skinny 4) Skinny-fat 5) Fat
Really? I'd rather be moderately aerobically fit and somewhat lacking in twitch strength over average guy... I'd certainly argue the former is going to have a "better shot" as well. Edit: This is not a defense for skinny-fat at all. This is re: borderline-thin with low body fat.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plestor
Really? I'd rather be moderately aerobically fit and somewhat lacking in twitch strength over average guy... I'd certainly argue the former is going to have a "better shot" as well.
I would, too, but if we're talking purely about the prospects of nailing women, skinny is not a great place to be. It's a serious setback. Nowhere near the setback that being fat is, but it's definitely a setback. Note that, by "skinny," I mean at least a standard deviation below average mass. I'm not talking about the kind of skinny that runners can be; I'm talking about the kind of skinny that is usually the result of a fast metabolism and poor eating/exercise habits. The dude in the photos LabelKing posted would be a good example. Hipster chicks and gay guys may love that body type, but most American women will not. I say this as a recovering skinny guy who has seen his success with teh womminz skyrocket after putting on even a modest bit of muscle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads