• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If W.W. Chan made cars...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...what would their quality be analogous to? In other words, if the finest British and Italian tailoring were comparable to Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati, what would W.W. Chan's tailored garments be equivalent to? BMW? Lexus? Cadillac, or what? I would be especially interested in the opinions of those who had experience with Chan garments and the products of other high-grade tailors or RTW makers.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to 10

Quality: 7
Value: 9

I don't know? I Volkswagen Phaeton, perhaps.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the comparison between an engineered machine and crafted garment works very well. There is a fairly well-accepted criteria of fit, construction quality and materials quality for tailored clothing. That criteria does not not translate well to the automotive world where different cars are designed for completely different purposes. For instance, the Hummer and the Ferrari F40 are both excellent vehicles for completely different tasks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
having only seen them in pictures...

i would say a lexus as they seem to be put together well of good materiels without having a noticeable style of their own.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
having only seen them in pictures...

i would say a lexus as they seem to be put together well of good materiels without having a noticeable style of their own.

zing!
rimshot.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
zing!
rimshot.gif

i didn't mean it to be harsh, rather that they are solid suits, but it would be hard to put your finger on what the defining characteristics were.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd second the Lexus analogy - there's not quite the prestige or absolute quality of finish that the premier league have (Savile Row, Kiton etc), and it can more often be a case of 'pick and mix' with the parts selection / style and features offered - an unwary buyer can pay more than he needs for less than he wants.

Nonetheless the base product is excellent value for money.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
But what would Lancia be?

Now there is a automobile that is seldom seen. I wasn't even aware it was still being made. Deliver me from such esoteric items----like were are you going to get service out in the middle of the desert let alone in the big city where the number of dealerships may only count one.

Remember the British Sterling and the Yugo out of style now like so many designer fashions.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
Now there is a automobile that is seldom seen. I wasn't even aware it was still being made. Deliver me from such esoteric items----like were are you going to get service out in the middle of the desert let alone in the big city where the number of dealerships may only count one.

Remember the British Sterling and the Yugo out of style now like so many designer fashions.

I don't even think Lancia exports to the U.S. anymore--and no plans to do so.

There are some Italian auto mechanics who service Ferrari, Alfa Romeo who will probably know something about Lancias. Beautiful cars however. I have always tried to find a suitable one.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to second the VW Phaeton. Chan can provide a suit that can ape (love that word) the finest at a fraction of the cost. Only a real expert can look and see the difference.

drake

Reaction score
Uhhh don't you guys know the only clothing worth buying is from Naples? Also if it isn't soft it's worthless, just my opinion.

That's just my opinion but I'm going to spam every thread in SF about it because in my opinion everything other than soft clothing looks ridiculous.

Just my opinion on soft clothing.

Originally Posted by iammatt
i didn't mean it to be harsh, rather that they are solid suits, but it would be hard to put your finger on what the defining characteristics were.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads