1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If not Aldens, then ... What?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by J. Cogburn, Aug 6, 2010.

1. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Senior member

Sky Valet in Georgetown has C&J. The Hallam is listed at $550 on their website. It is a nice store and the owner is very helpful.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

C&J and Grenson Masterpiece provide English styling that is slightly more sleek than Alden, but still quite traditional (I happen to like Alden as well, especially in cordovan).

You can try C&J shoes at Brooks Brothers sold as BB Peal made in England. The C&J made ones have a single row of nails on the heel (the double row nailed Peals are made by Alfred Sargent).

You can also try C&J shoes at the Turnbull & Asser shop on 57th Street in NY.

Nearby on Madison Avenue is Paul Stuart, where you can try Grenson Masterpiece shoes sold under the label, Stuart's Choice.

I think Barneys also carries C&J, although I am not certain of that.

3. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I need to buy a couple of plain and cap-toe black oxfords but can't spend more than about $500 per pair. I like the Aldens but they are a little ... unexciting. But what are the alternatives? Is there anything made as well as Aldens but with a bit sexier styling while staying in that price range?

Not interested in Italian shoes .....

Have you checked out Aldens on the Plaza last? That's a pretty sleek last.

4. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

I would suggest looking at the Plaza last as well, but if not you could always go Italian. I have a number of Prada shoes that have lasted me for 5 years and are still going strong that I got for just around 500. Also, Ferragamo makes a decent shoe.

5. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

There is a brand....

I promised to find the name of it and the store that sells it for another thread but I haven't had a chance yet.

Their shoes are a LOT less than 500 and they have all those fixins, the bevelled/fiddle waist, channel sewn, seamless heel (at least the model I saw did) and the leather was "butta"...

I'll say it again, german (or at least germanic) sounding name and made in a south of the border country, argentina or mexico...or maybe it was spain but I'm 90% sure it wasn't. They were goodyear welted.

6. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

7. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

In addition to the stores listed above, you can try on C&Js in their store in NYC on W56th.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

America? Go with allen edmonds. The 'poor man's Alden seconds on clearance'

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Isn't the Aberdeen last their most narrow (and most wasted) last?

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I think Barneys also carries C&J, although I am not certain of that.

Haven't seen any C&Js at the BH Barney's in several years.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Isn't the Aberdeen last their most narrow (and most wasted) last?

I have no experience with the Aberdeen last but it looks like you're right. I just ran across this thread at Ask Andy and it seems that the Aberdeen is slightly more narrow than the Plaza.

Have you seen the either last in person? You can probably find pictures of shoes in either last over at the Official Aldens thread in SW&D. Here's more pictures of shoes/boots in the Plaza last over at Leather Soul's website (ignore the Alden long wings in the Barrie last). And here's some pictures of shoes in the Aberdeen.

If that doesn't do it for you then Crockett and Jones is probably your best bet. Just be wary of the 348 last. I just took delivery of a pair of Drummonds in that last and it's pointier than I had anticipated. Some have mentioned shoes in that last looks better in smaller sizes, mine was a UK10. I will wear them and see if they grow on me.

13. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Senior member

Yes, there's a small Alden shop about ten minutes from my office in DC. I should probably see the C&Js in person, but the pics I've seen don't suggest much difference between those shoes and the Alden Aberdeens as far as "sleekness" is concerned ... which means I'll probably save some money and stick with the Aldens. If I were going to pop $1,000 for a pair of EGs, I'd just go Gaziano & Girling MTO instead ... something I'd like to do someday.