1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

If Money was no object.... Create your own suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris "Italia", Jul 30, 2006.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I see the references to Thomas Mahon shirts, but why? It's not as though Mahon makes them himself, and I've never seen anyone here gush about Rayner & Sturges. Are the shirts that good? I was under the impression they were essentially MTM. Am I off base?

(Not trying to be dismissive, just genuinely curious why this is an "ultimate" shirt.)

2. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

I see the references to Thomas Mahon shirts, but why? It's not as though Mahon makes them himself, and I've never seen anyone here gush about Rayner & Sturges. Are the shirts that good? I was under the impression they were essentially MTM. Am I off base?

(Not trying to be dismissive, just genuinely curious why this is an "ultimate" shirt.)

For me, it has a lot to do with the fact that Thomas Mahon is relatively unknown beyond these fora. It's just an extra something that you won't find many wearing.

3. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

for me i would daytime suit/ work suit go for something like the goldfinger suit in grey herring bone with a plain white hounds tooth shirt with wide spread cooar and a blood red and gold polka dot narrow tie.

for the shirt and tie i'd go for T&A and for the suit kilgour.

for night time it would be blact hopsack with peak lapal from spencer hart for the shir i would have a plain white sea island cotton with wide spread collor and and a black shadow striped tie again from T&A

shoes for daytime would be G&G bespoke in antiqued olive green and for evening again G&G bespoke in black baby croc!

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Well, the reason I'd get a Mahon shirt is because he sounds like he knows what he's doing with R&S. Also, soft construction applied to shirtmaking sounds nice to me.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Thomas Mahon is relatively unknown beyond these fora. It's just an extra something that you won't find many wearing.

Wouldn't you rather run with the herd, over at Charvet?[​IMG]

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Kiton K Suit in Cashmere Flannel with grey smoke buttons

Or

Anderson & Sheppard 150s bespoke suit

Paired with GJ Cleverly shoes in Dark Oak full bespoke

Kiton Custom Shirt in Riva cloth

Tie by Kiton, Seven Fold

Belt by Martin Dingman

Pantherella Sea Island cotton socks

Wallet by April in Paris (going from what I see on the site)

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

for me i would daytime suit/ work suit go for something like the goldfinger suit in grey herring bone with a plain white hounds tooth shirt with wide spread cooar and a blood red and gold polka dot narrow tie. for the shirt and tie i'd go for T&A and for the suit kilgour. for night time it would be blact hopsack with peak lapal from spencer hart for the shir i would have a plain white sea island cotton with wide spread collor and and a black shadow striped tie again from T&A shoes for daytime would be G&G bespoke in antiqued olive green and for evening again G&G bespoke in black baby croc!
    I have been expecting you, mr. Bond.

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Surprised you didn't say that about my choices in accessories, Lucky. [​IMG]

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

Surprised you didn't say that about my choices in accessories, Lucky. [​IMG]
    Heh, now that I read it again, so am I. Just read something about the Bond wardrobe in the novels on a site that was linked to from AAAC. Fleming seemingly had a fetish for Sea Island cotton.

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I'd get it just for the sake of having a shirt made of Sea Island cotton. I think stuff like that is beyond my palate's appreciation.

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

wait untill xmas or your birthday and treat yourself they're NICE!!!! but out of all the bonds i do think that connery's bond was the best dressed and brosnon bond was definatly the coolest

12. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

Also, soft construction applied to shirtmaking sounds nice to me.

Would that simply amount to a not so closely fitting shirt which is generally what MTM results in...

13. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

No, as in the collar and cuffs not being so stiff as some shirtmakers tend to make them.

14. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior Member

Wouldn't you rather run with the herd, over at Charvet?[​IMG]

If money's no object, I'd be running straight to AK for shirts - if he'd have me!

15. Millerp

Millerp Senior Member

If money's no object, I'd be running straight to AK for shirts - if he'd have me!

Ditto on AK

And Raphael for suits.