1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If I'm willing to alter new shirts, what should fit when I buy?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by stuartSan, Feb 21, 2008.

1. stuartSan

stuartSan Well-Known Member

Okay, my man boobs are pretty annoying for my height, and my arms are flabby since I haven't been working out in a while.

Standard S sized shirts don't seem to help me in this area. All they do is emphasize my moobs. M sized shirts are too long and sometimes too big in the sleeves. But I guess I'm willing to take extra measures now.

So, if I'm buying a shirt with alterations in mind, what should fit? Which parts are the hardest to alter and which are a breeze? That would help me with future sizing decisions. Thanks.

2. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Neck and shoulders should fit, and sleeves shouldn't be too short, although sometimes there's some fabric in the cuff that can be let out.

3. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

generally anything above where the bottom of the armhole meets the shirt requires a reasonable amount of surgery -- shoulders, neck, and armhole. other than that, make sure the body and sleeve lengths are at least as long as you want them.
    Okay, my man boobs are pretty annoying for my height, and my arms are flabby since I haven't been working out in a while. Standard S sized shirts don't seem to help me in this area. All they do is emphasize my moobs. M sized shirts are too long and sometimes too big in the sleeves. But I guess I'm willing to take extra measures now. So, if I'm buying a shirt with alterations in mind, what should fit? Which parts are the hardest to alter and which are a breeze? That would help me with future sizing decisions. Thanks.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The basics have been stated. Also, if it's patterned, it might not be possible to tailor and still look good. On the other hand, patterns can hide man boobs. Undershirts can, too.

5. Godspeed

Godspeed Well-Known Member

Let's say that the armhole is larger than you want, leading to the sleeves being wider/puffier. In other words, the bottom of the armhole is too low. Can this be tailored easily?

6. onion

onion Senior member

Let's say that the armhole is larger than you want, leading to the sleeves being wider/puffier. In other words, the bottom of the armhole is too low. Can this be tailored easily?

I'm not sure about the sleeves, but the arm hole it's self can be brought in.

7. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

No. They can taper the sleeves and try to slim them that way fairly easily, but to actually move the armhole is a lot of work.

8. totally epic

totally epic Senior member

I get my armhole/shoulder raised on my shirts all the time. Arm length has to be sufficiently long though. Only cost me $32 too.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

No. They can taper the sleeves and try to slim them that way fairly easily, but to actually move the armhole is a lot of work.

If the chest is taken in, the armhole will also get a tad smaller as a result

10. Empire

Empire Senior member

How would a tailor typically shorten sleeve length on a shirt