• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I want to buy a quality leather jacket, how much should I be expecting to pay?

TheDiesel

Reaction score
Classic leather jacket. Obviously not like $10,000. But if I want a quality jacket, what is a reasonable price I should expect to pay?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<$300 from the Robert Talbott outlet, as long as you are not very slim.

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDiesel
Classic leather jacket. Obviously not like $10,000. But if I want a quality jacket, what is a reasonable price I should expect to pay?

hey dude
first of all don't go with one of the fashion-name brands or mall brands (both low quality and high quality in macy's etc). Wouldn't it be a good idea to get one from a real military supplier?

Go to www.uswings.com look at their A-2 selection.

I JUST got an A-2 2000 this week. OMFG it's so awesome. Absolutely great. Goatskin is fantastic and is very smooth and soft.. it was waaay better than ANYthing I saw at the mall. Only $230 on sale right now.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't want a military jacket
I'd wait around and do a good search of the sale forums here, as there are often LOTS of excellent leather jackets for sale 70-80% off retail. That would probably be your best bet. Most "better" brands charge a fortune for their jackets; one from a major designer will be $2000 or more (ala Gucci, Prada, Dior, etc.) As well, this subject has been asked ad nauseum here (probably 100 times or more), so you may also want to search the regular forum archives for lots of other recommendations of non-major fashion brands that make good jackets, including the Streetwear & Denim area. Overall, I'd say with a little patience, perseverance, and luck... you could get a very nice one for $500 or so.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That RL is nice, but I'd say go to Aero. with the weakness of the pond, you can get great deals.

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
I don't want a military jacket

It's not just a military or airforce jacket.. it's the very design that inspired practically every jacket

don't get something like gucci or ralph lauren good lord. Who cares about a name? Get a REAL leather jacket, you said classic.

blueoakleyz

Reaction score
what do you think about the one i showed

Looks like generic overpriced outsourced crap. And lambskin isn't very durable unless it's just for fashion.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a beautiful chestnut brown made in Italy Jil Sander leather jacket at NM Last Call. Original price was $2,800 reduced to $1,400, then clearance priced, further reduced on my NM credit card. Out the door price was $250. If you are patient, great deals are out there.

Twotone

kontai69

Reaction score
I would say at least $300.

I would look at a Schott (www.schottnyc.com). They have been in business since the early part of the 1900's. I actually never heard of them until my research here at SF.

I just got their "Casual Weekend 135" jacket for Christmas. It is very high quality and made in the US, which is quite rare nowadays for clothing. Alot of them are on sale at the moment.

From what I've read, other well-respected brands to look at are Aero, Gibson-Barnes, Lost Worlds, Vansen, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads