• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I shouldn't have bought aftermarket rims and other accessories for my car. that was a complete waste of money.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I shouldn't have bought aftermarket rims and other accessories for my car. that was a complete waste of money.

You get the noisy, over-sized muffler too?

Never really understood that niche. $4000 rimz. $1500 exhaust. $1200 Civic.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

You get the noisy, over-sized muffler too?
Never really understood that niche. $4000 rimz. $1500 exhaust. $1200 Civic.

this was a decade ago. didn't spend THAT much, somehow I thought it was a good idea to throw money for a jdm look... and it was a freaking cr-v. :hide:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on balancing a long term relationship in college and maybe beyond ? Everyone's been telling me that we will inevitably meet someone better etc etc, that we want to try out. I know it's seriously taboo, but I seriously believe that there is not one else out there that is a better match than her. Also how to reconcile with the idea of going out to parties and drinking etc?

I know it's a pretty sound advice to work hard and bust ass in college but how exactly does one go about doing that really? Work hard at what? What are some things that we should build up / practice? how do to study etc etc.

Sorry these two questions might seem stupid naive.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Question on balancing a long term relationship in college and maybe beyond ? Everyone's been telling me that we will inevitably meet someone better etc etc, that we want to try out. I know it's seriously taboo, but I seriously believe that there is not one else out there that is a better match than her. Also how to reconcile with the idea of going out to parties and drinking etc?

I don't buy that. Lots of people meet their spouse in college and things work out. I wouldn't rush into anything (don't agree with people getting married right out of college) but I don't agree with throwing away a good thing just because "common wisdom" tells you that you will find something better. I met my wife in undergrad and am still happy I quit looking when I did. If you met in high school, eh....bit of a different story but you still gotta use your own judgement.

As far as drinking and parties etc, it's pretty much the same deal just remove the "trying to get laid" portion from it. I knew plenty of people in undergrad who partied and were in relationships. Wasn't really a big deal.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure the details but if 4 finance internships didn't help you, I don't see how 5 or 6 would've helped.

Yeah I think grades and interviewing matter quite a bit as well. Plenty of my friends who are in ibanking now didn't really have much in terms of internships, but did the super interview days or whatever they are called really well. Also worked together on the excel spreadsheets they have to do so they mastered it.

pseudonym you go to Fordham right? Don't get so caught up in trying to do ibanking that you miss out on other stuff.

I don't buy that. Lots of people meet their spouse in college and things work out. I wouldn't rush into anything (don't agree with people getting married right out of college) but I don't agree with throwing away a good thing just because "common wisdom" tells you that you will find something better. I met my wife in undergrad and am still happy I quit looking when I did. If you met in high school, eh....bit of a different story but you still gotta use your own judgement.
As far as drinking and parties etc, it's pretty much the same deal just remove the "trying to get laid" portion from it. I knew plenty of people in undergrad who partied and were in relationships. Wasn't really a big deal.

So many midwest friends are getting engaged / married. At 22-24, I think it's a bit young personally but it's more normal in midwest compared to west coast I guess.

On topic of if I could go back two years, I would probably have studied a bit more, partied 14.28% a week more to 5 nights a week, and spent less time dicking around on the internet and more time outdoors and reading books.

Last edited:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, I actually did meet her in highschool but it's definitely not the typical college relationship because we're more like friends/ partner in crime than the typical boyfriend girlfriend thing. It's just that there's a sexual element I suppose. But still, I always have a sort of nervous feeling that she might meet someone better than me / makes her happier because we're are not as connected as we used to be. That and if something were to happen while drinking and partying. I always get a kind of jealous feeling when she is dressed up nice and all ready to party and meet new people and I'm not there.

I guess part of this is just my (admittedly) insecurity and that I just have to trust her and myself. Also definitely not getting married at 23/ 24

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
So far I've met two married women during undergrad, both no older than 21 and when this fact was discovered in both situations the conversation immediately died.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- The relationship you have right now is fine for where you are in your life, but not ultimately the one you will want. Don't get hung up on it when it goes south.
- Don't use cruise control on an expressway after it's been raining.
- Read some god damn books so you aren't feverishly trying to catch up later on.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have taken my good health for granted. All those additional years of smoking wasn't too smart. Should have kept on swimming instead. I'm fortunate there's no lung cancer or anything too bad (knock wood), but I can feel damage was done certainly. And it's irreparable.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have had as much fun.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't have had as much fun.

I probably would have had a lot more fun.

I would have been a lot less honest with women, and had a lot more meaningless sex, probably lowered my standards, too

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have started traveling solo years earlier - exploring the world and making memories

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Do not be shy. Do what's on your mind.

2. Hit on every ridiculous hot girl you see. You will never ever see her ever again anyways.

3. Spend money on experiences not merchandise.

4. Do not do things simply to please anyone, even family.

5. No dream is too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics