• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
-Ski more. I know you ski a lot. Ski more. And don't be a *****, 30 foot cliffs are not that big.
-When someone links you to styleforum, don't click it, you will have WAY more money.
-That long distance relationship thing is a terrible idea.
-Sarah is lying to get attention, do not waste your time being the white knight.
-Take at least SOME finance courses. Do not switch your major, necessarily, but some background will help in the long run.

If I could tell my 22 year old self some stuff about what to do in law school... well, this post would go on for a long, long time.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Committed relationship is a bad idea when you are sophomore in college
-less drinking and more lifting weights
-no night life, hell a lot more of studying
-abercrombie and fitch is not cool

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is complicated. like a lot of people, i probably would have said "have more fun." on the other hand, if i'd had more fun then, i might not be in a position to have as much fun as i'm having now. maybe a better question would be to ask people who are happy where they are now, what they did right when they were 20. personally, my advice to anyone that age is to not "keep their eyes on the prize," because the prize has a way of changing as you grow up. instead, keep your options open and remember that it's a big wide world out there that's full of things you've never even thought of. as far as sex goes, i don't think anybody needs to tell you to have more ... that's pretty much all any 20-year-old thinks about. i'd say be kind: hopefully you'll reach some kind of maturity without having a lot of regrets about people you've hurt with stupid stuff you've done in the past.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this is complicated. like a lot of people, i probably would have said "have more fun." on the other hand, if i'd had more fun then, i might not be in a position to have as much fun as i'm having now. maybe a better question would be to ask people who are happy where they are now, what they did right when they were 20. personally, my advice to anyone that age is to not "keep their eyes on the prize," because the prize has a way of changing as you grow up. instead, keep your options open and remember that it's a big wide world out there that's full of things you've never even thought of. as far as sex goes, i don't think anybody needs to tell you to have more ... that's pretty much all any 20-year-old thinks about. i'd say be kind: hopefully you'll reach some kind of maturity without having a lot of regrets about people you've hurt with stupid stuff you've done in the past.

Very wise post and one even people at 40 can listen too.

Also, remember life is meaningless.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How do you know? You are like 32.
jaybus metro, how old are you? judging from your posts, I would have guessed like 27-28.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Also, remember life is meaningless.
sheesh pio, where did that come from? did y ou spend the lunchhour listening to your old Styx albums (inside joke for those over 40)? as long as i'm being all solemn and wise, i'd say that life is anything BUT meaningless, but it's up to us to give it meaning ... it's not going to happen by itself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
sheesh pio, where did that come from? did y ou spend the lunchhour listening to your old Styx albums (inside joke for those over 40)? as long as i'm being all solemn and wise, i'd say that life is anything BUT meaningless, but it's up to us to give it meaning ... it's not going to happen by itself.

I tell people the key to happiness is realizing that life is meaningless and odds are good you'll die alone while lying in your own ****. Once you accept that, everyday stuff really stops bothering you.
smile.gif

billsayers

Reaction score
Do not be so self-conscious and take yourself so seriously all the time...the cool, quiet guy dressed in designer garb garners less female attention than the outgoing, philistine dressed in mall-brand clothing.

Do not be careless with who you fall for...love or the idea of love is a narcotic that yields the worst possible hangover.

Position yourself for future success...study like your life depended on it, take the unpaid summer internship, network with like-minded people.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I tell people the key to happiness is realizing that life is meaningless and odds are good you'll die alone while lying in your own ****. Once you accept that, everyday stuff really stops bothering you.
smile.gif

i guess i'd say that if something is bothering you enough that the image of dying alone lying in your own **** is all that will cheer you up, maybe a change is in order.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's one more since i'm in a preaching mood on the last day of my vacation: there is ALWAYS going to be somebody who has more than you. Even matt has vox. learn to be satisfied with what you have and any extra that comes your way seems like a gift.

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont get tattoos, work hard and talk to middle aged men more than 17 year old girls.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jaybus metro, how old are you? judging from your posts, I would have guessed like 27-28.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wish I knew at 20:

- Many, many women actually LIKE sex and want to have it.

You just need to give them an opportunity/excuse to have it with you. No, you are not too (smart, dumb, ugly, whatever). My desire for sex was so strong and I was so put off in trying to be a "nice guy" ("...girls don't like sex... you do... what's wrong with you?") - that I missed out on some opportunities. Not that I didn't get plenty. But when that girl was sitting on the staircase at the dorm and I could have looked up her dress and directly at her *****.. 'cause she had her legs spread open ... and it was Friday night at midnight and everybody had been drinking... well, instead of being nice and looking away I should have accepted what was an invitation... but I didn't know then it was an invitation. "Cause girls don't like sex". There are opportunities out there - be more aware of them. Girls DO want to **** you.

- With enough preparation and/or practice, you can do anything you damn well please.
If you want to do (whatever) - simply put some time in and learn how to do it. You *can* be an astronaut if you want to. Want to be a rock star? Start singing - every ******* day for at least an hour or two.

- It doesn't take much to be more of an expert than most people

It is quite easy to step up above people, 'cause most people don't do squat. So if I go learn a little bit about (whatever), then I will be an expert on the topic compared to them. This can easily be translated into $$$$$$ - in many, many ways.

- If there is something you are good at and enjoy, find a way to make money doing it or something related to it

You don't have to work in (pick bad environment here). Figure out a way to do something you like. It will take a bit of thinking and work. But it will pay off.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could talk to 15yo me:

Go to school for architecture. By the time you figure out this would be your ideal career path, you'll be too old to want to put in seven years of school for it.

Don't take a full lineup of AP writing/liberal arts classes your last two years of high school. Take art, take photography, take metal shop.

Don't take your SATs as a sophomore and score high enough that you think you don't have to care anymore. The world does not, surprisingly, reward raw 'intelligence.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads