1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Flambeur, Sep 16, 2010.

1. word

word Senior member

I'm only 26 so I'm going to cheat and rewind to 17.

Don't go to college like every other sheep my age and keep training on the road bike on the blue ridge parkway and transition from mens pro xc racing to whatever the road equivalent was. Should have known to stick with something I was good at instead of aimlessly go to college and party.

2. Returningson

Returningson Senior member

save some fucking money
    DO NOT go cliff diving in summer 02[​IMG]
    stay off of styleforum

seconded! ;-)

3. swaggerisaliability

swaggerisaliability Senior member

I would have been more open to opportunities I had not previously envisioned.

Specifically what types of opportunities?

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Specifically what types of opportunities?
    Well, my advice only applies to personalities similar to mine. I tend to be a very long-term planner, constantly thinking about the future. By the time I entered high school, I had everything plotted out until my 30's. Given hard work, some talent (I'd like to think, at least), and some luck, I got pretty much everything I wanted, only to realize I didn't pause along the way to consider other paths. After all, my experiences naturally changed me as a person over time. It would have made sense to reassess on a periodic basis. Now, I can't help but feel I've built a life I've already outgrown in many respects. Of course, I'm trying to remedy things, but it's hard to do.

5. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Isn't youth to be enjoyed instead of slaving away like the rest of the drones?

Well, you have a choice to make. You can slave away with the rest of the drones during your youth, thereby enjoying the rest of your life. Or you can enjoy your youth, dooming yourself to a lifetime of slaving away with the rest of the drones. Pick your poison.

6. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

I'd tell myself not to dump so much loot into the stock markets. Market gains over the past decade have mostly been flat to negative. Dollar for dollar I would have been better off buying a half dozen Rolex watches every year than putting that money into my retirement accounts.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Well, my advice only applies to personalities similar to mine. I tend to be a very long-term planner, constantly thinking about the future. By the time I entered high school, I had everything plotted out until my 30's. Given hard work, some talent (I'd like to think, at least), and some luck, I got pretty much everything I wanted, only to realize I didn't pause along the way to consider other paths. After all, my experiences naturally changed me as a person over time. It would have made sense to reassess on a periodic basis. Now, I can't help but feel I've built a life I've already outgrown in many respects. Of course, I'm trying to remedy things, but it's hard to do.

Curious, because overall you seem to have done well by yourself. Where would you rather be in life right now, or at least where do you think you wouldn't feel like you've outgrown your life?

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    without presuming to answer for the foo, who i'm sure will have a well-written and thoughtful response of his own, let me just say from my experience that the problem with setting long-term goals is that by the time you reach them, they may no longer be what you want. When I was 20, my life's goal was to be a sports columnist at the Albuquerque Journal. By the time I was 30, that would have been my definition of hell.

9. mafoofan

Curious, because overall you seem to have done well by yourself. Where would you rather be in life right now, or at least where do you think you wouldn't feel like you've outgrown your life?
    I am very happy with the personal aspects of my life--at least, the ones I can control for. However, I'm not so happy with the professional path I took. I actually really don't like being a lawyer. I hate it, to be frank. Yet, I went that way because I wanted to mildly rebel against a family of doctors and saw "Time to Kill" in middle school. I changed a lot between 13 and 22, but didn't inspect my aspirations. I merely re-shaped the notion of what my future life as a lawyer would be like, veering further and further from reality. Amongst other things, I wish I had given more consideration to art, design, architecture, and philosophy. I have raw talent in visual arts, but never really nurtured it. My professors in college wanted me to do a philosophy PhD--hell, some had close connections with places like Princeton and NYU (philosophy hotbeds) and suggested they could get me far. Everyone was disappointed when I told them I was going to law school. My favorite professor, something of a mentor to me, totally lost interest in talking to me afterward. He was pretty direct about what he thought of "legal scholarship." Now I know what he means. What's most tragic in retrospect is that I had tangibly demonstrated the ability to excel at art and particularly philosophy, and I really loved immersing myself in them, yet I wound up taking the "safe" route to a professional career I have exceedingly little interest or talent in.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i knew you'd come through, but man, that's so sad. maybe we ought to start a second thread: what i wish i knew at 40. mainly, it ain't over 'till it's over. life is too long just to stay in a shitty job you hate just because you think you ought to or your parents think you ought to. i know it's a lot more complicated than that, particularly with a rubinacci habit. but just remember, even if you're 40, you're not even halfway through your working life. lots of time to do what you want.

11. mafoofan

i knew you'd come through, but man, that's so sad. maybe we ought to start a second thread: what i wish i knew at 40. mainly, it ain't over 'till it's over. life is too long just to stay in a shitty job you hate just because you think you ought to or your parents think you ought to. i know it's a lot more complicated than that, particularly with a rubinacci habit. but just remember, even if you're 40, you're not even halfway through your working life. lots of time to do what you want.

Thanks, man. But I'm actually okay now: I'm just 28, and I'm already making changes. I think things are looking up.

I should have known law was the wrong way when I was gripped with the urge to join the Peace Corps right after getting into law school (and had a huge fight with my parents over it).

12. George

George Senior member

Thanks, man. But I'm actually okay now: I'm just 28, and I'm already making changes. I think things are looking up. I should have known law was the wrong way when I was gripped with the urge to join the Peace Corps right after getting into law school (and had a huge fight with my parents over it).
    Get the fuck out of that wretched profession.!

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

1. fuck less atractive women, don't be so uptight about being gentlemanly or honest with women
    2. don't ever let yourself go completly to pot, keep up a minimum level of fitness
    3. wouldn't change anything else

This is pretty damn good advice.

14. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

This is pretty damn good advice.
    Also, put a smile on your face first. Don't worry about what society and the media say how you should live your life.

Remember, one of the most important decision in your life is whom to marry. NEVER take this lightly.

15. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Get the fuck out of that wretched profession.!
    Why?

16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Dont get tattoos, work hard and talk to middle aged men more than 17 year old girls.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

-If you absolutely must drop out of school after sophomore year to get the GI Bill, take the Germany assignment.

-Unless you plan to stay in the academy, higher learning is vocational school. Major in something that pays.

-Realize that others are working with advantages you don't have. Do not let their success make you feel like a failure.

18. George

George Senior member

Why?
    Well a) Because he clearly doesn't like it. b) Because it's wretched. I don't think I've ever met a lawyer that that profession hasn't turned into a cynical bastard. I just think it sucks the 'marrow' of people.

19. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  20. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+ Take some time off between high school and university. Spend it working manual labour and in an office setting. This is real life for most people, soul-crushing drudgery. Back in school work your ass off and enjoy every minute of it accordingly.

+ Don't start drinking alcohol. It will do nothing but damage your health, your finances, and your relationships. You're perfectly fine without it, but once you develop the crutch it's a hard one to get rid of.

+ Spend as little time looking at a screen as possible. Cut out television and video games. Limit your internet usage. No long term good will come from these things.

+ You will be shaped by the people you spend time with. When a friend is going down a path that doesn't align with your goals, don't be hesitant to cut them loose.

+ That thing you wish you had done five years ago. Five years from now you'll wish you had done it now.

Golden words! Wonderful advice - for people of all ages!