• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I have some extra cash, what should I get?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres the story:

Im a third year university student, who recently has come into about 1000 bucks canadian. Now following my degree; I plan on doing a stint in the military before business school, so I have no real need of suits. However, I want to use this money to invest in some quality clothing that will last awhile. Im wondering what people would suggest I should look at for buying.
Any advice would be great,
thanks;
L.R.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should buy some clothes, I think.
teacha.gif

Closer

Reaction score
I have been on my satorial quest for a couple of years now. If I were in your situation, I would buy 2 pairs of 500.00 shoes.

Someone once told me, "spend the money from the ground up". Good shoes first, then custom pants, then custom shirts, then custom suits and jackets. I wished I would have listened then.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, ok well it was either that or crack....so lets continue with the clothing theme.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you'd feel the need to invest in quality clothing right now. It would be a good time to buy a nice suit, but you're not planning on going straight into the workforce, so there's no point in that.

In business school you'll probably want some good suits, but you could save money during your time serving to get that.

Besides, you're in college. If you haven't learned by now, college is the time to drink a lot and chase women. Go sleep around. Spent that money on roofies or something. Have a good time with it.

bobbers

Reaction score
Shoes, watch, and if there's anything left a tie in a classic design.

Your body might change in the near future and if you invest in a good suit now it might not fit you later on. At least your foot size won't change too drastically.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a couple whores and some antibiotics

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard Citigroup needs some cash.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
aero leather jacket, remainder on weed

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My vote goes to a bunch of crap from Sierra Trading Post that doesn't fit and you'll never wear, but then I saw the hookers, antibiotics, Aero jacket and weed suggestions.

Now I'm torn.

- B

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I don't see why you'd feel the need to invest in quality clothing right now. It would be a good time to buy a nice suit, but you're not planning on going straight into the workforce, so there's no point in that.

In business school you'll probably want some good suits, but you could save money during your time serving to get that.

Besides, you're in college. If you haven't learned by now, college is the time to drink a lot and chase women. Go sleep around. Spent that money on roofies or something. Have a good time with it.

Wow...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do not want to go into business school with out sleeping with several whores at the same time...I know this.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im so glad I could come to a forum and get relevant advice. How about I rephrase it: I like the shoe advice, I wouldn't mind grabbing myself a pair of monk straps, and Ill have several hundred left after that. Im thinking either a new leather jacket, or a trench coat : http://www.burberryusaonline.com/pro...119967.1891430 Or, a bunch of more casual shirts i.e: polo's etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads