1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If I could get away with it, I'd wear...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jester, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jester

jester Well-Known Member

There are many discussions here having the general form, "Is it OK to wear...?" However, these mostly revolve around relatively minor stylistic features or details--bow ties, ticket pockets, lapelled waistcoats, etc. I'm sure that many of you would really like to wear something else, something more extreme. Like a frock coat. Or plus-fours. Or white tie (with decorations). Or maybe just a velvet smoking jacket, with an ascot. I myself would love to wear a cape, or at least an Inverness coat. But my wife has repeatedly said she would kill me if I tried. So, what you would wear if you could?

2. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Well-Known Member

Musingly I've been looking for frock coats online very recently. I think it'd be a great look.

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

Like Frank Constanza's divorce lawyer? Why in the world would you want to wear a cape? I have a couple pairs of nice spectators that I almost never wear. They're just a bit too flashy for me. I also have a Pancaldi tie (it was a gift) that I haven't had the balls to break out yet. My sister offered me 50 bucks if I wore it to Thanksgiving with a black pinstripe suit and black shirt. My conservative New England family would love it.

4. jester

jester Well-Known Member

If a flashy tie is too stylistically extreme, this is the wrong item for you ;-).

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Pancaldi ties? Why has no one brought these up before?. They're beautiful. [​IMG] What did I say earlier about sarcasm not translating?

6. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

I spotted one at a wedding not too long ago. I walked up to the guy and said - "That's gotta be a Pancaldi." He was stunned, but looked very proud and remarked how expensive it was. He didn't know that what he paid for his tie would have bought half of my left shoe. How's that for snobbery?

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Oh, nice topic. Definitely frock coats -- I'd like to do the entire Victorian English look, replete with walking stick (defiantly containing a sword). I actually did the suit-with-gloves-and-a-stick look (no sword [​IMG] ) in my late teens, just once as a lark, while shopping in a quaint historical neighbourhood. I fell right into it apparently, with one person noting 'you're not from around here, are you?' (I was) but I decided not to try it again when this ten year old asked me if I was an old man. Ah, I look too old as it is. Dressing as a courtier with a rapier has its appeal for me, as would a turn of the century Western rig. Regards, Huntsman

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, because I can't think of anything I'd really like to wear that I would be hesitant to buy and sport daily.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by shoreman1782,03 Nov. 2004, 3:57
    Pancaldi ties? Why has no one brought these up before?. They're beautiful. Â [​IMG] What did I say earlier about sarcasm not translating?
    I actually thought they were pretty neat.
    Heehehe...
    The best kind. He was boorish, and you weren't. Regards, Huntsman

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I often think of a sack coat and striped trousers for day wear in the city.

Will

11. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

A bowler hat (edges curled like Steed's) with a British-cut suit. Perhaps I can borrow one from Jun Kawana. Along with a whangee-handled umbrella. I know that if I wore this in London people would stone me.

12. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to wear plaid pantaloons and stockings with a pair of spectators. Sort of an Edwardian dandy look, I just don't seem to have the calves for it (they're more long ankles).

13. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I would wear red socks with every outfit - make it my signature look, like Tom Wolfe's white suits. Or perhaps, this outfit that Sting wore to perform at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show last year. It's just cool - Sting I think it's Versace, but I don't really know. Bradford

14. wja

wja Well-Known Member

Not being a wearer of hats, I passed up a Borsalino in Sicily last summer. I think that I regret it. I think I do.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

lederhosen. If I had someplace to wear them to, I would get a pair of lederhosen and a loden jacket.

16. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

Bradford,
    That sounds great. I think that you should try it for two weeks. Then decide if you want to keep it up. I wish that I had a "signature" look.

-Tom

17. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

10-gallon hat, manhole cover belt buckle, "roach killer" alligator cowboy boots.

18. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

A fez. Why? Damned if I know. I don't even know where to buy one.

19. Doctor Crane

Doctor Crane Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I don't know why... but I did attempt to wear something like this about 4 years ago to my senior prom... yeahhh... [​IMG] I didn't know a thing about clothes back then... so... notch evening tail-coat and pre-tied bow-tie aside, I think I did pretty well for a high school senior. Besides, what other 18 year old sports a beaver fur top hat and Knight of the Garter sash to his prom?

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

"A fez. Why? Damned if I know. I don't even know where to buy one. "

instambul airport. want me to pick you up one next time I go through?