• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I asked you guys for life advice, would you help me out?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, you've got to lose the attitude that a job is something you hate, but you do anyway. That's a sure-fire recipe to end up in a dead-end job you hate.

Look at successful people, most are in a field for which they have a passion, but they also paid their dues.

Sure, every job has its days, but a good job is one where you realize that you're actually learning something and developing skills and it keeps you interested.

First of all, I'd take a look at your current position and see what you can do to learn new skills. I'm sure there is something that you can do or a project you can undertake that will teach you something. Heck, even if it just gives you the confidence to take on a new project, that's a learning experience.

Then I'd think about where you want to go. Your background and interest in math actually makes you a good candidate for graduate school. Why not get an MBA or find a job that will pay for it?

The other thing is to get and meet people who are at different stages in their careers. Maybe join a Toastmasters Club? That way you can practice public speaking and be exposed to different people who might be able to help you find your next position.

Hope that helps.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I was in a similar position to you; though I'd dropped out of flying school so had no education to speak of!

This article helped me out a great deal:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...ut-20-minutes/

Its a bit cheesy, and I for one thought I was nutts doing it at first, but it lead me in a direction I never thought I'd take.

Oh god, that is horrible.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Go to HVAC school so you don't have to make your living by dicksucking. Also make a point to meet with your probation agent as directed.

X-It

Reaction score
Live in the MOMENT!

Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee. ~Montaigne

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
First of all, you've got to lose the attitude that a job is something you hate, but you do anyway. That's a sure-fire recipe to end up in a dead-end job you hate.

Look at successful people, most are in a field for which they have a passion, but they also paid their dues.

Sure, every job has its days, but a good job is one where you realize that you're actually learning something and developing skills and it keeps you interested.

First of all, I'd take a look at your current position and see what you can do to learn new skills. I'm sure there is something that you can do or a project you can undertake that will teach you something. Heck, even if it just gives you the confidence to take on a new project, that's a learning experience.

Then I'd think about where you want to go. Your background and interest in math actually makes you a good candidate for graduate school. Why not get an MBA or find a job that will pay for it?

The other thing is to get and meet people who are at different stages in their careers. Maybe join a Toastmasters Club? That way you can practice public speaking and be exposed to different people who might be able to help you find your next position.

Hope that helps.

Toastmasters... that's an interesting idea and I never even thought about it. But I definitely want to get involved in more extracurricular activities until I find something I really am passionate about. I'll have to look more into this.

There aren't really any projects I can get involved in at work. Not that I don't want to, but I honestly just work with different programs in Office doing data entry and what not.

I would love to get a good MBA, but my work experience so far is obviously less than stellar. I know I still have a couple years before I'll even be able to get into a good MBA program though. I look forward to more schooling though. I wish I could go back now, but I have to take care of my debt from undergrad first.

Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted by Flambeur
it really is

Yeah I'm sorry, but that... wasn't for me.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can learn outside of work, dude.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
You can learn outside of work, dude.

+1

You can learn outside of school too. I go through a 600-700 page technical book every month without fail. I don't have enough hours in the day for all the info I'm trying to stuff into my brain. The ability to self-motivate is the key thing that is common to most successful people imo. I've actually been unproductive lately as I've been jumping back and forth between interests instead of focusing on and mastering one topic.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1

You can learn outside of school too. I go through a 600-700 page technical book every month without fail. I don't have enough hours in the day for all the info I'm trying to stuff into my brain. The ability to self-motivate is the key thing that is common to most successful people imo. I've actually been unproductive lately as I've been jumping back and forth between interests instead of focusing on and mastering one topic.

Thanks. I understand that I can learn outside of work, I'm just not sure of what I want to learn... I mean I guess I could just keep trying different things until I get to something I actually enjoy.

BTW, I was talking to some friends who are accountants the other night, and even though I'm not crazy about the work, I was very jealous that they had a path laid out (and that they were making more money).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-You're lucky to have a job
-Move out of your parents house
-Find ways to better yourself and look for opportunities

But otherwise you're just another lost unmotivated kid who doesn't get it yet.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. "I'm not crazy about the work" Jesus ******* christ, grow up!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
good advice from alot of people here.

there is nothing wrong with living with your parents when you are 24. but you got to start taking a look into what you may have a passion in and make money out of or something related.
you got to get off your butt (mentally as well as physically) and start treating each day as if it passes without you doing something to move one step forward , it is LOST TIME. LOST MONEY. that is ONE MORE DAY Someone or a whole lot of your peers are moving past you.

I dont know how your parents are, and im sure they are loving, but my parents had a sort of tough love thing going about them. THEY TOSSED ME OUT when i was in my mid twenties LITERALLY and had to go scramble for a car, a place to live, so forth. I was sweating bullets and after all the variety of immediate necessities were taken care of , place to live and transportation, i realy woke up. i was like, even if i am out in the clear a bit for now, how the fu am i going to survive off this dead end job??
Yeah, i was sort of aloof in my twenties and that really woke me up. I didnt have money to eat and didnt have money to even drive more than 20 miles. I tried to borrow money from people that trusted me and i always paid back. i had to plan out my drive for that week until my next bimonthly paycheck. my parents told me to NEVER show my face to them until i had nice clothes on, a good job, a decent car under my name, and money in my pocket.
i was like, how the fu am i ever going to get married? how the fu am i ever going to take care of kids if i cant even take care of myself??? fu!
i woke up late. but i woke up at least. i am doing better now many years later and know the value of people , time, effort (whether you fail or succeed) and character and decency. i thank my parents for that.
yeah i know i talk about this whenever i have a chance and many people heard it from me before, but i love talking about it. so proud of how i was in the dumps literally ( i actually slept on a park bench couple of times before!!! believe me!!! it was under some contextual circumstances though so not like i was totally a bum) to being a contributing respectable person in society

i dont know how this is related to the OP original post but, oh well.
blush.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Thanks. I understand that I can learn outside of work, I'm just not sure of what I want to learn... I mean I guess I could just keep trying different things until I get to something I actually enjoy.

BTW, I was talking to some friends who are accountants the other night, and even though I'm not crazy about the work, I was very jealous that they had a path laid out (and that they were making more money).

How many different things did you try out in university? When you're in your mid-20s, it's time to start snapping out of it. Some may say it's never too late, but in the professional world, the longer you leave things, the harder it's going to become. If you can't find something you love, find something you don't hate and start working towards some goals. And who knows, maybe that thing you don't hate will turn into something you love once you dig in to it, get involved, start using the skills you've gained, etc. If all you're doing is data-entry at your current job, that's basically a dead-end, and I doubt any decent mba program would admit you with 10 years of that sort of experience. Pull for more responsibility at work, at the very least.

Btw, it's perfectly possible that you're more suited for the trades. There's no shame in that. My brother is working construction right now while he's looking for a job that will use his economics degree and he's having a lot of fun and making decent money. I knew a guy that was making custom furniture and he was making some good dough doing something he really found fulfilling. Don't limit yourself to office jobs.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads